Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Mar 6, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #4,400 of 4,588
I'm seeking comparisons of the multibit to the bifrost. Not the modi 3

There are probably several comparisons scattered throughout this thread of the Bifrost 2 thread. I have both. At first I didn't really notice any difference between the two. However, I think with DACs it can be difficult to discern differences on a rapid A/B type of test, which is what I was trying. The other mistake I made was trying to focus on differences in frequency response, which I still don't think there's any significant difference. Over time though, you start to notice things with Bifrost that you didn't really get with Modi Multibit. I heard these differences more easily with speakers. The soundstage became more 3D, the sound more lifelike. This was not a massive difference, certainly not "night and day" , but I would not say they sound the same. Of course, you will hear things differently from me.

If you want the latest technology Schiit has to offer, get the Bifrost 2. If you don't mind sacrificing that side of things to save some dollars, the MM is still a solid choice.

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #4,403 of 4,588
HI Guys i've had my mimby for about two weeks or so and had it broken in well paired with a monilith liquid spark and my initial findings is that it is a little harsh....i'm using tidal(volume on the app at about 50%) and windows volume 100% with me mainly adjusting the amp to get the desired volume but i find generally via tidal the songs can get harsh up top...does anyone else find this to be the case? i've found this with my Sundara, technica e40s and m40x...haven't really put the rest of my gear up to the test with it

Edit : I'm using the mimby via usb on windows 10 and installed the win 7/8 drivers just to make sure the installer didn't pick up a generic windows driver for the mimby

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #4,404 of 4,588
HI Guys i've had my mimby for about two weeks or so and had it broken in well paired with a monilith liquid spark and my initial findings is that it is a little harsh....i'm using tidal(volume on the app at about 50%) and windows volume 100% with me mainly adjusting the amp to get the desired volume but i find generally via tidal the songs can get harsh up top...does anyone else find this to be the case? i've found this with my Sundara, technica e40s and m40x...haven't really put the rest of my gear up to the test with it

Edit : I'm using the mimby via usb on windows 10 and installed the win 7/8 drivers just to make sure the installer didn't pick up a generic windows driver for the mimby

Try using coaxial or optical with the Mimby instead; its USB is known to be the weakest input out of the three inputs.

If you are ok with Schiit's closeout/B-stock policy (cheaper, fully warrantied, may have cosmetic defects, no returns), grab an Eitr while they are still in stock in the Clearance Deals section of the Schiit website, as of now there are 4 left (be sure to ask for 220V wall wart in your order remarks if you use 220V like me). It does USB to Coaxial conversion and have a much stronger USB input than Mimby's.

Many Mimby owners in audio forums like here and SBAF sworn by the Eitr+Mimby combo. Personally, I just got mine and initial impressions are that the harshness is gone and the components of the audio are placed more correctly than before

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #4,405 of 4,588
Try using coaxial or optical with the Mimby instead; its USB is known to be the weakest input out of the three inputs.

If you are ok with Schiit's closeout/B-stock policy (cheaper, fully warrantied, may have cosmetic defects, no returns), grab an Eitr while they are still in stock in the Clearance Deals section of the Schiit website, as of now there are 4 left (be sure to ask for 220V wall wart in your order remarks if you use 220V like me). It does USB to Coaxial conversion and have a much stronger USB input than Mimby's.

Many Mimby owners in audio forums like here and SBAF sworn by the Eitr+Mimby combo. Personally, I just got mine and initial impressions are that the harshness is gone and the components of the audio are placed more correctly than before
Thanks for the reply i checked the site and it's onmly the 115V available so i doubt i'll be able to use it in Malaysia...so admittedly there is harshness to the mimby it's not just me hearing this(as in when songs peak like female vocals in ballads etc)

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #4,406 of 4,588
Thanks for the reply i checked the site and it's onmly the 115V available so i doubt i'll be able to use it in Malaysia...so admittedly there is harshness to the mimby it's not just me hearing this(as in when songs peak like female vocals in ballads etc)

Eitr uses a wall wart so you can just simply use their 220V version of the wall wart. I am from Singapore (your neighbour from the South lol), ordered from Schiit and requested for 220V wall wart, and got the wall wart swapped without any increase in price. During ordering from Schiit website, you can place remarks, that is where you ask for the swap

And yes, Mimby (especially on A1 firmware like me) can be overpowering when it comes to female vocals, which is a double-edged sword. The Eitr did help lower that a bit

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #4,407 of 4,588
Eitr uses a wall wart so you can just simply use their 220V version of the wall wart. I am from Singapore (your neighbour from the South lol), ordered from Schiit and requested for 220V wall wart, and got the wall wart swapped without any increase in price. During ordering from Schiit website, you can place remarks, that is where you ask for the swap

And yes, Mimby (especially on A1 firmware like me) can be overpowering when it comes to female vocals, which is a double-edged sword. The Eitr did help lower that a bit
Hey man didn't know you were so close...so the Eitr doesn't really tame it then? so in other words the harshness is still there?

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #4,408 of 4,588

Hmmm I don't know if this is the case but I'll just throw out a few possibilities out there if could or could not be any of those:

Mimby need to be left on 24/7 to sound correct, it has optimal operating temperature and people recommend at least 24 hours minimum before you listen to it.

I had Liquid Spark briefly before upgrading to Project Polaris. From memory I think manufacture recommend 100 hours burn in on Liquid Spark, also I do remember Liquid Spark being a little bit harsh / dry on my first impression. I didn't keep it long enough to hit 100 hour mark so I don't know.

I currently have Mimby running on USB and connecting to Asgard 3 and Project Polaris and I didn't find female vocal harsh, but treble do get loud on Polaris. And in general Piano sound is a little over emphasized.

Not too sure if the usb/optical/coax thing would fix it though. But you could probably give it a try.

Sorry I'm just throwing all the possibilities out there not sure if any of them would actually fix it LOL.

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #4,409 of 4,588
Hey man didn't know you were so close...so the Eitr doesn't really tame it then? so in other words the harshness is still there?

It did tame it a bit, but I think what's most noticeable is the separation of instruments. That said, I have not tried this combo out with the headphones you have so I am not fully sure how much of that harshness will be gone and if it is to your liking. I can safely say that most Mimby owners who got an Eitr are happy with their purchases.

Either way, see if you can use coaxial or optical from your audio source instead of USB first before considering the Eitr

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #4,410 of 4,588
For me Eitr-Mimby combo helped most to clean up the USB related noise. I didn't notice a lot of other changes (glare, separation) but cleaning up the USB signal was well worth it. That said, I did upgrade the mimby chip (I had an original version) at the same time as adding an Eitr. That had more of an impact on the sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back