Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 22, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #4,381 of 4,588
So i've been reading that most people don't connect their mimby via USB? and the optical performance isn't all that good? how would i connect to my pc if my pc doesn't have a coax output? Thanks.
I think what people say is that it measures better but if it's too complicated I think you should be fine just running USB. Mimby inherently doesn't measure that well to begin with anyway LOL (vs Modi 3+ for example). I'd imagine the difference between USB vs coaxial should be fairly small in practical listening scenario.

Feb 22, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #4,382 of 4,588
So i've been reading that most people don't connect their mimby via USB? and the optical performance isn't all that good? how would i connect to my pc if my pc doesn't have a coax output? Thanks.

I have mine connected with an Eitr, which Schiit no longer makes.

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #4,384 of 4,588
I think what people say is that it measures better but if it's too complicated I think you should be fine just running USB. Mimby inherently doesn't measure that well to begin with anyway LOL (vs Modi 3+ for example). I'd imagine the difference between USB vs coaxial should be fairly small in practical listening scenario.
Measurements don't bother me at all....i'm more on the camp if it sounds good then that's all that matters...i mean when i tell people to listen to my gear, most of them are not audiophiles, so if i talk about measurements they might be like What is this douche going on about....but if the music sounds good, then they'll be like wow nice gear...but i'm more concern about getting the best signal to my liquid spark to pair with my headphones...

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #4,385 of 4,588
So it's more to do with the quality of the cable rather than the actual usb itself? Interesting
I don't know how much the cable contributes to the sound that I enjoy, just that the combination makes me want to listen to music more, which to me is the point of any audio system.

Feb 23, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #4,386 of 4,588
Measurements don't bother me at all....i'm more on the camp if it sounds good then that's all that matters...i mean when i tell people to listen to my gear, most of them are not audiophiles, so if i talk about measurements they might be like What is this douche going on about....but if the music sounds good, then they'll be like wow nice gear...but i'm more concern about getting the best signal to my liquid spark to pair with my headphones...
I definitely agree with this, people are too obsessed with measurement above all else these days.

I mean just listen to the device if it sounds good then it sounds good lol.

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #4,387 of 4,588
So i've been reading that most people don't connect their mimby via USB? and the optical performance isn't all that good? how would i connect to my pc if my pc doesn't have a coax output? Thanks

Buy well made (not necessarily expensive) cables and it will sound fine with whichever connection you use. Enjoy!

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #4,388 of 4,588
So it's more to do with the quality of the cable rather than the actual usb itself? Interesting
I think there was a test done before:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/do-usb-audio-cables-make-a-difference.1887/

Basically cable quality doesn't really matter, cable length matters more. But in normal usage it should not make any difference unless you're running like 100 meter length between your dac and computer LOL.

The claim is that the USB implementation is noisier than their Coaxial implementation on the Mimby device itself. So people opt for the Coaxial connection. Which I don't know how big the difference really is. But if you need to get another device to get Coaxial which introduce another device in the chain that might introduce more noise anyway then I say just use USB and call it a day LOL.

Realistically I'd say don't worry about it LOL.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #4,390 of 4,588
I think there was a test done before:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/do-usb-audio-cables-make-a-difference.1887/

Basically cable quality doesn't really matter, cable length matters more. But in normal usage it should not make any difference unless you're running like 100 meter length between your dac and computer LOL.

The claim is that the USB implementation is noisier than their Coaxial implementation on the Mimby device itself. So people opt for the Coaxial connection. Which I don't know how big the difference really is. But if you need to get another device to get Coaxial which introduce another device in the chain that might introduce more noise anyway then I say just use USB and call it a day LOL.

Realistically I'd say don't worry about it LOL.
Yea i think so too....i've read some people adding in a raspberry pi and a digi card to get a cleaner sound but like you said it introduces more devices and most likely more noise to the chain....i think i'll stick with my setup for now and see how they perform...Thanks

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #4,391 of 4,588
Thanks...i already have one from my previous all in one dac might continue using it....will possibly compare usb to optical to see if there's noticeable difference
You're welcome! Mimby is a great dac with options. A cable you like is all it needs.

Yea i think so too....i've read some people adding in a raspberry pi and a digi card to get a cleaner sound but like you said it introduces more devices and most likely more noise to the chain....i think i'll stick with my setup for now and see how they perform...Thanks

Definitely stick with what you like, but if you want to experiment a little

I had good luck with the HiFiBerry HATs. Their Digi+ to Mimby was probably my favorite setup. Super easy (but does add another device to the chain).

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #4,392 of 4,588
So i've been reading that most people don't connect their mimby via USB? and the optical performance isn't all that good?
Switching from optical to coax on an older CD/DVD changer was an improvement to me. When I upgraded the disc player, I stayed with coax.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #4,393 of 4,588
I really want one of these - buying used seems like a waste because you basically pay full price minus tax and shipping if you just bought it new from schiit. Does this punch anywhere near a Bifrost2 or is it outclassed handily?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back