Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jun 16, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #4,292 of 4,588
How does modi 3 sounds compare to mimby ?
And is it ok to turn mimby on 24/7 ?
I never turn mine off. Maybe once a month just to reset things. With the Modi 3 your back in the seats with the Modi multibit your on the stage. Really, my jaw hit the floor after I heard it. Don't expect to be blown away out of the box. Turn it on and wait for a few hours and listen and then in 12 and 48 hours after it has been on you'll be amazed. I've been into hi-fi for 50 years and this is a well spent $250.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #4,293 of 4,588
Modi Multibit was the first DAC I ever bought. That was when I only had the Vali 2 amp and K7XX headphone.

Listening with that same setup right now. Even with the Modius, Jot, and Lyr 3 stacked to the right of it, Mimby/Vali 2 is a very strong entry level stack IMO.

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #4,294 of 4,588
Modi Multibit was the first DAC I ever bought. That was when I only had the Vali 2 amp and K7XX headphone.

Listening with that same setup right now. Even with the Modius, Jot, and Lyr 3 stacked to the right of it, Mimby/Vali 2 is a very strong entry level stack IMO.

How is the Vali 2 pairing with the Modius? Tried that?

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #4,295 of 4,588
How is the Vali 2 pairing with the Modius? Tried that?
I did just once so far. Not bad. I like the Vali 2 better with the Modi Multibit but it did play well with the Modius.

I was a one-DAC person until I got the Modius, so pretty much a rookie with DACs, but it's been fun to compare the two DACs on my 3 amps.

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #4,296 of 4,588
Here's my quick take on the Mojo -- against the Mimby and Topping E30 :

Mojo is quite impressive -- I always speculated that FPGA sounds just like DS dacs (but with better super-sampling & output stage). That might still be true but I find the Mojo sound a lot cleaner, blacker and more resolving than the higher sinad E30. Somehow the mids of the DS dacs lack the inner detail and spatial/depth/timing information, making it appear compressed despite excellent measurements. E30 has a wider stage though.

Against the Mimby, there's no question Mojo's a lot cleaner. I also think the Mojo technically resolves more transients and depth but the staging is constrained between the speakers. The stage on the Mimby is more open and airy making it much more engaging and immersive to me. Timbre seems better too---despite sounding less clean as the mojo, I still find the mimby sound more believable & life-like. Some say harmonic distortion is doing this, but after auditioning so many entry level dacs, I think I've learned my lesson that technicalities matter less than the end result of which one sounds more enjoyable.

Here are sound demos of the comparison if anyone are interested or bored:
Mojo vs Mimby (w/ weights)
Mojo vs Mimby
Mojo vs E30

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #4,297 of 4,588
Here's my quick take on the Mojo -- against the Mimby and Topping E30 :

Mojo is quite impressive -- I always speculated that FPGA sounds just like DS dacs (but with better super-sampling & output stage). That might still be true but I find the Mojo sound a lot cleaner, blacker and more resolving than the higher sinad E30. Somehow the mids of the DS dacs lack the inner detail and spatial/depth/timing information, making it appear compressed despite excellent measurements. E30 has a wider stage though.

Against the Mimby, there's no question Mojo's a lot cleaner. I also think the Mojo technically resolves more transients and depth but the staging is constrained between the speakers. The stage on the Mimby is more open and airy making it much more engaging and immersive to me. Timbre seems better too---despite sounding less clean as the mojo, I still find the mimby sound more believable & life-like. Some say harmonic distortion is doing this, but after auditioning so many entry level dacs, I think I've learned my lesson that technicalities matter less than the end result of which one sounds more enjoyable.

Here are sound demos of the comparison if anyone are interested or bored:
Mojo vs Mimby (w/ weights)
Mojo vs Mimby
Mojo vs E30
Which one do you use ? Usb, coxial or toslink?

Jun 21, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #4,298 of 4,588
Mojo is quite impressive -- I always speculated that FPGA sounds just like DS dacs (but with better super-sampling & output stage).

mykeldg, I've really enjoyed your recent videos. Thanks very much for sharing your observations, and for the I think considerable work that goes into them.

Re FPGA sound you may find Rob Watts' lectures interesting. (I did, at least.) Here's one:

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #4,299 of 4,588
Well it's been over a week since I used my Mimby after hearing a small channel imbalance and after using it today I heard no imbalance at all. I don't know what it was but it's gone now. I don't think it was my amp because after hooking up my D50s the imbalance was immediately gone. I've used the Mimby for a few hours today and everything is working great again, I wish I knew why it sounded off like it did but I'm glad it's all good now.

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #4,300 of 4,588
Well it's been over a week since I used my Mimby after hearing a small channel imbalance and after using it today I heard no imbalance at all. I don't know what it was but it's gone now. I don't think it was my amp because after hooking up my D50s the imbalance was immediately gone. I've used the Mimby for a few hours today and everything is working great again, I wish I knew why it sounded off like it did but I'm glad it's all good now.

You probably already know this, but when the Mimby starts acting up like this, the old cliche of turning it off and on again usually clears it up. I sometimes every few months get weird mixing between the channels, like some of the audio from the right side appears on the far left. Power cycling fixes it.

Jun 23, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #4,302 of 4,588
You probably already know this, but when the Mimby starts acting up like this, the old cliche of turning it off and on again usually clears it up. I sometimes every few months get weird mixing between the channels, like some of the audio from the right side appears on the far left. Power cycling fixes it.

Yeah, that was the first thing I did when it started to sound a bit off but it didn't help. I don't know maybe it was to hot since I did have it on for a few days straight but I do that all the time with no problems. I'm just glad it's all back to normal and hope it doesn't happen again.

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #4,303 of 4,588
Hi guys, I just bought mimby to replace my 2-month modi 3. First impression, its a lot warmer than modi 3. The temperature from where i live is 35 celsius now so i think it still gets warm even i turn it off LoL.
Well, i only listen to them for like an hour so all i notice is better bass (more impact), soundstage is better in term of depth.
Still need to listen to them more but definitely worth 175$ that i pay for it.

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #4,304 of 4,588
Hi guys, I just bought mimby to replace my 2-month modi 3. First impression, its a lot warmer than modi 3. The temperature from where i live is 35 celsius now so i think it still gets warm even i turn it off LoL.
Well, i only listen to them for like an hour so all i notice is better bass (more impact), soundstage is better in term of depth.
Still need to listen to them more but definitely worth 175$ that i pay for it.
Be sure that you don't stack anything on top of your Mimby, in fact if possible have it standing alone (at least when the temperature is high).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back