Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jun 4, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #4,276 of 4,588
l looked at the RME ADI-2 but at almost $1200 that's a bit more than I'm wanting to spend. If I was going that high I probably go ahead and get the Chord Quest Dac, that would be my endgame.

The Bifrost 2 is the one I feel like I should get because how much I'm liking the Mimby again. I honestly don't know if I really need to even upgrade over the Mimby at this point but if the Bifrost is noticably better then it might be worth it.

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #4,277 of 4,588
I got my Mimby finally yesterday, and I'm liking it already. But I have to say that the first few hours (like ~8 probably, haven't timed) it sounded like crap, compressed and grainy. This one really shouldn't be judged harshly right out of the box.

But it's the second day now and I'm really enjoying it - fullness, three-dimensionality, it's all true... :)

nice to see you here. am a fan of your channel. the mimby is quite interesting and I look forward to your review of it.Its not hi-res sounding but it does something else I can't explain - instruments have a lifelike quality - maybe the soundstage and imaging part due to the cutom filtering & output stage.

I have to say you nudged me to get it sooner with your comments in which you kept preferring it to other similarly priced stuff, and it seems I'm going to agree with you on that.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #4,278 of 4,588
I got my Mimby finally yesterday, and I'm liking it already. But I have to say that the first few hours (like ~8 probably, haven't timed) it sounded like crap, compressed and grainy. This one really shouldn't be judged harshly right out of the box.

But it's the second day now and I'm really enjoying it - fullness, three-dimensionality, it's all true... :)

I have to say you nudged me to get it sooner with your comments in which you kept preferring it to other similarly priced stuff, and it seems I'm going to agree with you on that.
glad it didn't disappoint you. I was about to sell the mimby to get the modius but now im not so sure after hearing this from you. btw, if you have a good coax source, they say it transforms the mimby even more. (they also say to leave it on 24/7 but i live in a very tropical climate so its easy to warm it up.)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #4,279 of 4,588
l looked at the RME ADI-2 but at almost $1200 that's a bit more than I'm wanting to spend. If I was going that high I probably go ahead and get the Chord Quest Dac, that would be my endgame.

The Bifrost 2 is the one I feel like I should get because how much I'm liking the Mimby again. I honestly don't know if I really need to even upgrade over the Mimby at this point but if the Bifrost is noticably better then it might be worth it.
If you really liked the ADI-2, a few people (from headfi) are reporting that the Modius sounds better than it at a fraction of the cost, especially if you used the balanced out. (even D90 users reporting the same) That said, I would still personally go for the BF2 for the great imaging and timbre.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #4,280 of 4,588
If you really liked the ADI-2, a few people (from headfi) are reporting that the Modius sounds better than it at a fraction of the cost, especially if you used the balanced out. (even D90 users reporting the same) That said, I would still personally go for the BF2 for the great imaging and timbre.
I have both the Mimby (2 of them in fact, for 5 years) and the RME (for several weeks now). Strictly as a DAC the RME is far more detailed, totally black background and far richer bass. In addition the RME has a pretty good amp and a myriad of sound tailoring options including a parametric equalizer. While the Mimby is a good DAC it is simply outclassed by the RME.

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #4,281 of 4,588
I have both the Mimby (2 of them in fact, for 5 years) and the RME (for several weeks now). Strictly as a DAC the RME is far more detailed, totally black background and far richer bass. In addition the RME has a pretty good amp and a myriad of sound tailoring options including a parametric equalizer. While the Mimby is a good DAC it is simply outclassed by the RME.
Heard many great things about the RMEs! The Modius is a new week-old product from Schiit (you might have mixed it up with the mimby) which is currently being hyped and compared to the ADI2 and d90. I don't know how the hype holds up but looks like an interesting product for the price if it holds true.

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #4,282 of 4,588
Heard many great things about the RMEs! The Modius is a new week-old product from Schiit (you might have mixed it up with the mimby) which is currently being hyped and compared to the ADI2 and d90. I don't know how the hype holds up but looks like an interesting product for the price if it holds true.
My Bad...I was comparing it to the Mimby.

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #4,283 of 4,588
Has anyone experienced a small channel imbalance with the Mimby?

I had mine on for a couple of days straight and I noticed the left side was sounding just slightly off. I thought it was the headphone or my hearing at first but changing the hp it was still there. I changed dacs and it now sounds fine. I really hope it's not broken because I've been enjoying the hell out of it recently.

Jun 13, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #4,284 of 4,588
Has anyone experienced a small channel imbalance with the Mimby?

I had mine on for a couple of days straight and I noticed the left side was sounding just slightly off. I thought it was the headphone or my hearing at first but changing the hp it was still there. I changed dacs and it now sounds fine. I really hope it's not broken because I've been enjoying the hell out of it recently.
Just restart it

Jun 13, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #4,286 of 4,588
I'm currently comparing the much more expensive Chord Mojo to the Modi Multibit. I still feel the Modi Multibit is better, more microdynamics, better depth, better timbre, more analog sound. The Mojo sounds super smooth and clean though. The Mimby heck of a lot more musical IMO.

I have both, after a lot of tests my setup ended with Mimby to be permanently paired with the stereo integrated amplifier and Mojo for my headphone listenings

Jun 13, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #4,287 of 4,588
I have both, after a lot of tests my setup ended with Mimby to be permanently paired with the stereo integrated amplifier and Mojo for my headphone listenings
that's probably why I also preferred the MM (with V2 firmware) since I use it exclusively for stereo/speakers. Mojo is also nice though, much better than any delta sigma dacs ive heard. I'll give it more time to give a proper comparison.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #4,289 of 4,588
Hi, should i upgrade from my modi 3 to mimby? I always feel modi 3 has less punchy in the lower end, so could the mimby improve that?
I use a diy amp (old dynalo but still very good for hd600)
When I went from a Modi 3 to a Modi multibit I was very, very happy with the results I heard. I sold my Modi 3 the same day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back