Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
May 26, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #4,261 of 4,588
Now that the Eitr is gone, what is recommended for USB to Coax adapter? I want to improve my mimby in the office, something simple, so Raspberry Pi/HAT is probably out.

it has FW 2.0.

the Bifrost 2 looks nice for the living room.

May 26, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #4,262 of 4,588
Now that the Eitr is gone, what is recommended for USB to Coax adapter? I want to improve my mimby in the office, something simple, so Raspberry Pi/HAT is probably out.
Actually, the cost of any high-quality USB-to-coax converter plus the cost of a Mimby will be pretty close to the cost of a Bifrost 2.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #4,264 of 4,588
I'm pretty happy I got my Mimby back out after not using it for quite a while. It doesn't sound as good with all my music like the D50s and EL Dac does but for the stuff it does sound good on oh man does it sound good. I find that it has to be music that is recorded and master very well for it to sound it's best, unlike the other 2 Dacs that sound good with everything. When on equal footing so to speak the Mimby sounds the best overall. I guess it's that the Mimby is more resolving and just enhances the bad parts of a recordings more than the others do.

I'm really quite happy with the Dacs I have but I'm thinking of getting something like the D70 or D90 from Topping in the future or maybe one of the new ones SMSL like the M200 or M400. The M200 was actually made to pair with my SP200 THX amp but the M400 looks really good with what all it has.

May 27, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #4,265 of 4,588
I'm pretty happy I got my Mimby back out after not using it for quite a while. It doesn't sound as good with all my music like the D50s and EL Dac does but for the stuff it does sound good on oh man does it sound good. I find that it has to be music that is recorded and master very well for it to sound it's best, unlike the other 2 Dacs that sound good with everything. When on equal footing so to speak the Mimby sounds the best overall. I guess it's that the Mimby is more resolving and just enhances the bad parts of a recordings more than the others do.

I'm really quite happy with the Dacs I have but I'm thinking of getting something like the D70 or D90 from Topping in the future or maybe one of the new ones SMSL like the M200 or M400. The M200 was actually made to pair with my SP200 THX amp but the M400 looks really good with what all it has.
I have the same sentiments. I had the d50s, modi 3, E30, D30, but I keep coming back to the mimby every once in a while. Bifrost 2 should be really interesting as it is much improved in all aspects and is higher resolution.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #4,266 of 4,588
I have the same sentiments. I had the d50s, modi 3, E30, D30, but I keep coming back to the mimby every once in a while. Bifrost 2 should be really interesting as it is much improved in all aspects and is higher resolution.

I thought about getting the Bifrost a long time ago but after getting other Dacs that was on the back burner. Now that I'm liking my Mimby again the Bifrost 2 is a real option for me. Looking at the specs it seems to be much better than the Mimby I have and at $699 that's the same as the D90 I'm looking at also.

I don't know what Dac I'll get next but the Bifrost 2 is definitely back on the list.

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #4,267 of 4,588
I thought about getting the Bifrost a long time ago but after getting other Dacs that was on the back burner. Now that I'm liking my Mimby again the Bifrost 2 is a real option for me. Looking at the specs it seems to be much better than the Mimby I have and at $699 that's the same as the D90 I'm looking at also.

I don't know what Dac I'll get next but the Bifrost 2 is definitely back on the list.
another good one in that price range is the Denafrips Ares 2. It measures as good as DS dacs (103db sinad almost like the d50s) while still being a fully discreet R2R ladder with a decent power supply (torroidal transformer)

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #4,268 of 4,588
https://www.schiit.com/products/modius

1591109692252.png

Affordable, High-Performance Balanced DAC with Unison USB™

June 2, 2020, Valencia, CA. Schiit Audio today introduced an all-new, affordable balanced DAC: Modius. Modius offers Schiit's exclusive Unison USB™ input, as well as optical, coaxial, and AES inputs, in a compact, convenient, USB-powered package. Modius is available now for $199 in both silver and black finish.

"The Modius name came from the internal development name of 'Modius Maximus,' which is exactly what it is—a bigger, better Modi," said Jason Stoddard. "It uses a better AKM DAC than the Modi, it has more inputs than the Modi, it adds balanced outputs, and it brings our Unison USB™ input to a much more affordable price level."

Modius is based on the AKM AK4493 D/A converter, a step up from the AK4490 used in Modi. It was chosen for its high price-performance ratio, critical for a balanced, designed-and-built-in-California DAC selling for only $199. Despite the low cost, high-quality parts are used throughout, including precision thin-film resistors and film capacitors, and separate gain stages for the balanced and single-ended outputs, to optimize the performance of each. A 32-bit, 200MHz-class Microchip microprocessor handles both Unison USB and system code, extending the application of Schiit's unique architecture.

Schiit's Unison USB™ is a proprietary USB Audio Class 2 architecture, with code solely developed by Schiit to run on general-purpose microprocessors, This allows Schiit to provide a very high-performance USB input that is focused on performing only a single critical task: PCM audio transmission. It also makes Schiit one of a handful of companies developing their own USB solutions, rather than relying on USB interfaces purchased from other manufacturers.

Modius is an excellent DAC for virtually any system, balanced or single-ended, but it also pairs ideally with Schiit's current and past lineup of 9" wide products. Stacked under any Asgard, Valhalla, Jotunheim, or Lyr, Modius provides more input flexibility than an internal DAC card, without taking up any additional desktop space.

Modius is available now at Schiit.com in both black and silver finishes for $199.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #4,269 of 4,588

Here's a new video comparing D90 with Bifrost 2 :
The Multi-bit still pulls ahead the well measuring d90 in musicality.

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #4,271 of 4,588
I'm interested to try this out... but USPS is currently not delivering to my country so the only option left is much more expensive FedEx... Guess I'm just going to wait a bit till things with international shipment stabilize.

On the other hand, two weeks ago I finally pulled the plug on Modi Multibit. Now I'm anxious to try it out but it's been stuck in the importing process for a week now. :weary:

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #4,272 of 4,588
The more I listen to the Mimby using good recordings the better it starts to sound. I know people say this a lot but I really am hearing things in songs I didn't hear before, but I think the condo of the Mimby plus my Ananda is what's doing it. This is making me want to get the Bifrost 2 now but I'm going to hold off until I can seriously go over all my options because my next Dac is going to be one I use for a very long time.

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #4,273 of 4,588
The more I listen to the Mimby using good recordings the better it starts to sound. I know people say this a lot but I really am hearing things in songs I didn't hear before, but I think the condo of the Mimby plus my Ananda is what's doing it. This is making me want to get the Bifrost 2 now but I'm going to hold off until I can seriously go over all my options because my next Dac is going to be one I use for a very long time.
You might consider the more expensive RME ADI-2 DAC if you're planning on keeping a DAC for a long time. First off it's an extremely good DAC but it also has a decent amp, plus there are a myriad of sound tailoring options including a parametric equalizer. It's a keeper in my book...end game for me.

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #4,274 of 4,588
You might consider the more expensive RME ADI-2 DAC if you're planning on keeping a DAC for a long time. First off it's an extremely good DAC but it also has a decent amp, plus there are a myriad of sound tailoring options including a parametric equalizer. It's a keeper in my book...end game for me.

I've heard of that and people do rave about them so I'll definitely check it out.

Jun 4, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #4,275 of 4,588
I'm interested to try this out... but USPS is currently not delivering to my country so the only option left is much more expensive FedEx... Guess I'm just going to wait a bit till things with international shipment stabilize.

On the other hand, two weeks ago I finally pulled the plug on Modi Multibit. Now I'm anxious to try it out but it's been stuck in the importing process for a week now. :weary:
nice to see you here. am a fan of your channel. the mimby is quite interesting and I look forward to your review of it.Its not hi-res sounding but it does something else I can't explain - instruments have a lifelike quality - maybe the soundstage and imaging part due to the cutom filtering & output stage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back