Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 28, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #4,216 of 4,588
Your experience mirrors mine exactly. I had viewed a review of the Modi 3 on another site, where it was lauded and well-received for its performance on a very expensive audio analyzer.
On that same site, any multibit or resistor-ladder DACs were basically cast aside and looked down upon due to "poor engineering and bad measurements".

I decided to purchase one and compare it directly to the Multibit (V1 at the time).
After 2 days of going back and forth between the two, the Modi 3 was up for sale (and sold very quickly, almost overnight).
The difference was not subtle at all, I knew for sure I was not the only one that had heard something like this.
Thanks for your impressions, it makes me a little more sane in this crazy world!

I know which site you are referring to, at least I'm 99.9% that I do. I thought I would hear a difference between the Modi 3 and the multibit but I had no idea that it would be so profound. And that's with the multibit right out of the box with zero warm up. It's a shame to think that someone would pass this great little ladder DAC up because they read the results of a test and not listen with their ears. The Modi 3 is a great little delta sigma DAC and was a huge improvement over the older Cirrus Logic in my older CD player. My first thought was to sell the Modi 3 but I might keep it around.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #4,217 of 4,588
IMHO, Bifrost Multibit isn't worth the extra dough for upgrade as the difference isn't as clear cut as the Bifrost 2. Enjoy your gear and when the itch comes, be sure to audition the Bifrost 2 :)
Thanks for the heads up. I've read what you wrote about the Bifrost multibit. When I'm ready to move on I'll probably be sticking with Schiit and Bifrost 2 sounds like the next logical step. Really happy with the little Modi MB for now but I've been in this crazy hobby for 50 years and I know how it goes.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #4,218 of 4,588
I know which site you are referring to, at least I'm 99.9% that I do. I thought I would hear a difference between the Modi 3 and the multibit but I had no idea that it would be so profound. And that's with the multibit right out of the box with zero warm up. It's a shame to think that someone would pass this great little ladder DAC up because they read the results of a test and not listen with their ears. The Modi 3 is a great little delta sigma DAC and was a huge improvement over the older Cirrus Logic in my older CD player. My first thought was to sell the Modi 3 but I might keep it around.

That's how I ended up with 3 headphone systems...LOL...as I didn't really want to sell any of my gear.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #4,219 of 4,588
That's how I ended up with 3 headphone systems...LOL...as I didn't really want to sell any of my gear.
I recently downsized for a move out of state and sold a ton of hi-fi equipment and a pretty good sized record collection. I always loved headphones going back to the early 70's to my green Koss Pro's. I did keep a turntable, a restored Harman Kardon A500 integrated tube amp, and a pair of restored KLH Model 5 speakers. Sold my solid state McIntosh, B&W speakers, Nak Dragon, and other assorted gear. No regrets. I do most of my listening now with headphones using CDs for my source. I was thinking I'd sell the Modi 3 and use the money to buy more music. I'm using HD-650's now and would like to buy a few more pairs of Headphones. Curious about the Focal brand. I've been using Shure V-15 III cartridges since 73 so I'm wondering about their top tier headphones too. I was looking at your profile and you do indeed have a few pieces of equipment on hand!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 28, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #4,220 of 4,588
I recently downsized for a move out of state and sold a ton of hi-fi equipment and a pretty good sized record collection. I always loved headphones going back to the early 70's to my green Koss Pro's. I did keep a turntable, a restored Harman Kardon A500 integrated tube amp, and a pair of restored KLH Model 5 speakers. Sold my solid state McIntosh, B&W speakers, Nak Dragon, and other assorted gear. No regrets. I do most of my listening now with headphones using CDs for my source. I was thinking I'd sell the Modi 3 and use the money to buy more music. I'm using HD-650's now and would like to buy a few more pairs of Headphones. Curious about the Focal brand. I've been using Shure V-15 III cartridges since 73 so I'm wondering about their top tier headphones too. I was looking at your profile and you do indeed have a few pieces of equipment on hand!
Will future modi multibits have the new unison usb circuitry?

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #4,222 of 4,588

Yup it does accumulate over the years that’s for sure. I parted way with my 70’s era stuff about 10 years ago and like you said, no regrets. However I hung on to my 2 pairs of Large Advent speakers (from the mid ‘70’s) used as the “double Advent” system popular at the time. Until last year when I put them up for sale. There was a lot of interest in them. I ended up selling them to a young man who knew what they were. He wanted them so badly that he drove for an hour in a snow storm to buy them. I knew they went to a good home.

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #4,223 of 4,588
Yup it does accumulate over the years that’s for sure. I parted way with my 70’s era stuff about 10 years ago and like you said, no regrets. However I hung on to my 2 pairs of Large Advent speakers (from the mid ‘70’s) used as the “double Advent” system popular at the time. Until last year when I put them up for sale. There was a lot of interest in them. I ended up selling them to a young man who knew what they were. He wanted them so badly that he drove for an hour in a snow storm to buy them. I knew they went to a good home.
Henry Kloss was quite the innovator. I sold a really nice restored pair of New Large Advents for my move. I chose to keep the KLH Model 5's over the Advents. I like them just a little bit better. I remember the stacked Advents very well. I also kept a pair of AR-6 speakers. I sold a really nice pair of AR2ax's too. A little too power hungry for the amp I kept. I bet you get get a little snow where you live.

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #4,224 of 4,588
Henry Kloss was quite the innovator. I sold a really nice restored pair of New Large Advents for my move. I chose to keep the KLH Model 5's over the Advents. I like them just a little bit better. I remember the stacked Advents very well. I also kept a pair of AR-6 speakers. I sold a really nice pair of AR2ax's too. A little too power hungry for the amp I kept. I bet you get get a little snow where you live.

We do but aside from 2-3 good snowstorms a year overall the weather is much tamer than it used to be. My wife and I loved your neck of the woods (we’re big Breaking Bad fans), Arizona, Utah and Wyoming too.

Man you had (have) some awesome gear. I almost bought the AR’s back then but for some reason I went for the Advents. I recreated the double Advent system with my current Arcam FMJ amplification and I was amazed how good those Advents sounded. Made my decision to sell them pretty tough.

I’m spending most of audio time with my headphone systems but still let my speaker systems rock whenever the wife goes out for a few hours...LOL!

My first experience with Schiit was when I came to the conclusion that a modern standalone DAC might make my speaker system sound better than the aging NAD CD player I was using at the time. Boy was I right. But once I bought a DAP (FiiO X5ii) about 6 years ago I rarely use a CD player anymore. I love that I can have my entire CD collection on the DAP and easily move it to any of my headphone systems. I bought the FiiO M11 DAP back in September to replace the X5ii, which is my gym DAP. Of course DAP’s are terrific for on-the-go or vacation trips.

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #4,225 of 4,588
Will future modi multibits have the new unison usb circuitry?

Most probably not (or any time soon anyway). Over in the SchiitHappened thread (I think it was), Jason said there just isn’t enough room on the Modi size circuit board to house both the dac and Unison.

But far further down the road, in the not so foreseeable future - who knows?

But hey, @Jason Stoddard - would it perhaps be possible to sandwich a unison board on top of the dac board?

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #4,226 of 4,588
We do but aside from 2-3 good snowstorms a year overall the weather is much tamer than it used to be. My wife and I loved your neck of the woods (we’re big Breaking Bad fans), Arizona, Utah and Wyoming too.

Man you had (have) some awesome gear. I almost bought the AR’s back then but for some reason I went for the Advents. I recreated the double Advent system with my current Arcam FMJ amplification and I was amazed how good those Advents sounded. Made my decision to sell them pretty tough.

I’m spending most of audio time with my headphone systems but still let my speaker systems rock whenever the wife goes out for a few hours...LOL!

My first experience with Schiit was when I came to the conclusion that a modern standalone DAC might make my speaker system sound better than the aging NAD CD player I was using at the time. Boy was I right. But once I bought a DAP (FiiO X5ii) about 6 years ago I rarely use a CD player anymore. I love that I can have my entire CD collection on the DAP and easily move it to any of my headphone systems. I bought the FiiO M11 DAP back in September to replace the X5ii, which is my gym DAP. Of course DAP’s are terrific for on-the-go or vacation trips.
I was born in NM up in the four corners region. I lived in both Wyoming and Utah years ago. I lived in Albuquerque in the early 70's and moved back in 1986. I'll have to update my profile because after 33 years, this time, in Albuquerque I moved to Scottsdale, AZ. The less affluent part, not north Scottsdale. I have two grown children here. I came down late summer last year so I got to experience the high heat.
The move was the reason I sold most of my stereo stuff and most of my records. The Advents are a great sealed, two way speaker, I bet it was a tough decision to sell.
The little Modi multibit has been warming up now for about 17 hours and it just gets better.

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #4,227 of 4,588
Who knew the secret to better audio was hidden in a $13 circuit board and a $5 coax cable.

qmdc41A.jpg

It was a tight fit, but thankfully the spdif header was right there at the bottom.

The glorious natural sound coming from my Mimby right now... Just wow.

Is it really different the sound quality using this backplate? even better than using optical?

Feb 18, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #4,228 of 4,588
I'm really enjoying the Modi mb but still I wanted a delta sigma DAC, came to this conclusion after selling my Modi 3. Bought a Bifrost 4490 today from member Mr Tom at very fair price. From the information that I've read it's bigger and better than the Modi 3. I'm looking forward to checking it out soon.

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #4,229 of 4,588
Took delivery on the Bifrost 4490 that I bought here. Big improvement over the Modi 3. Totally different presentation than my little Modi multibit. Love the smooth sound and expansive soundstage. I've been playing records for over 50 years and in the setup I'm using it produces an analog sound. I have connected to my older Marantz CD5003 CD deck, from the Bifrost to a Bellari HA540 MK2 which is currently using aTelefunken smooth plate. I'm not selling my Modi multibit and plan on buying a Bifrost 2 soon. Forgot to add HD650's for headphones.

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #4,230 of 4,588
Took delivery on the Bifrost 4490 that I bought here. Big improvement over the Modi 3. Totally different presentation than my little Modi multibit. Love the smooth sound and expansive soundstage. I've been playing records for over 50 years and in the setup I'm using it produces an analog sound. I have connected to my older Marantz CD5003 CD deck, from the Bifrost to a Bellari HA540 MK2 which is currently using aTelefunken smooth plate. I'm not selling my Modi multibit and plan on buying a Bifrost 2 soon. Forgot to add HD650's for headphones.
Interesting. Which do you prefer more, the mimby or the 4490 Bifrost? Can you care to share some impressions between the 2? I've had the topping d50s (sold it now) which is one of the better delta sigma dacs i've heard and even on that, I felt it sounded a bit tame and dull especially compared to the modi multibit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back