Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 25, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #4,203 of 4,588
I was bidding on bifrost multibit but lost out on it, slept through the final minutes. A seller had this Modi 2 multibit with the update so I made him an offer and he accepted it. Real nice guy, we've messaged back and forth and he wants to go with a DAC upgrade. I've read that the difference between the Bifrost MB and Modi MB was negligible, as you point out. The Modi 3 was my first taste of Schiit, couldn't resist, and I was impressed with the build quality and customer service. Also it's a fine sounding unit. It doesn't even have an off and on switch. I've read, as you recommend, to leave it powered on. How often to you turn yours off?

I've left mine on for almost a year straight now with no issues; the only time it was powered off recently was to install the version 2 upgrade.

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #4,205 of 4,588
I'm curious, did you notice a difference when you installed the upgrade? I've read some listeners do and some do not.

I measured the output through an analyzer program (Soundcard Oscilloscope) which confirmed that something did change from the previous firmware. However, I don't have much knowledge on what exactly the change was (electronically)

What I did notice was:
- Slight increase in low-end 'heft' without sounding thick (like the earlier models)
- Increase in overall clarity/resolution (background nuances became slightly more audible)
- More of a 'blackground' (lower noise floor)

Overall, for $35 and to satisfy my nervosa/OCD, I feel that it was more than worth the 5 minutes to install.
My unit was bought in 2018-Feb, so I don't know how much more of a difference the older models would have.

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #4,206 of 4,588
I measured the output through an analyzer program (Soundcard Oscilloscope) which confirmed that something did change from the previous firmware. However, I don't have much knowledge on what exactly the change was (electronically)

What I did notice was:
- Slight increase in low-end 'heft' without sounding thick (like the earlier models)
- Increase in overall clarity/resolution (background nuances became slightly more audible)
- More of a 'blackground' (lower noise floor)

Overall, for $35 and to satisfy my nervosa/OCD, I feel that it was more than worth the 5 minutes to install.
My unit was bought in 2018-Feb, so I don't know how much more of a difference the older models would have.
It sounds like it was well worth five minutes of your time. Hard to believe that Feburary 2018 was practically two years ago. I don't think that it has hit me that it is 2020. If I would have bought one that had not had the update done I definitely would had sent it back to Schiit for the update. It would have bugged me not to. Do you know if there's much difference in the current Modi Multibit being sold and an updated Modi 2 MB? I almost bought new but I got such a good deal on this one I couldn't pass it up.

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #4,207 of 4,588
Be sure to power it off (turn off & remove plug) for a few seconds and power it up again periodically to prevent quirky and flat sound.

I have has this happen just once or twice, and I mostly left it on all the time. The one time it happened it was actually right after turn on. Probably something with the USB communication and dependent on the computer/os also.

Do you know if there's much difference in the current Modi Multibit being sold and an updated Modi 2 MB? I almost bought new but I got such a good deal on this one I couldn't pass it up.

As far as I know, there is no difference other than that they now have the new firmware installed.

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #4,208 of 4,588
I have has this happen just once or twice, and I mostly left it on all the time. The one time it happened it was actually right after turn on. Probably something with the USB communication and dependent on the computer/os also.

As far as I know, there is no difference other than that they now have the new firmware installed.
Ok, thank you. I'm glad I went with the updated Modi 2 instead of buying a new one. I definitely saved a good chunk of change. I did buy my Modi 3 from Schiit and I am impressed by their customer service.

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #4,209 of 4,588
I have a sound demos of modi 3, modi multibit v2 and ther dacs. As long as you listen using neutral cans, you might get a feel of how it will sound:

Thanks!
To my ears the Mimby killed it. I have the Modi 3 and that was the second revelation: how good that is, but the multibit was a notch above, and so for me it’s just a matter of time. Are the units for sale at Schiit now all v2s?

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #4,210 of 4,588

The firmware updated Modi 2 arrived today. The seller had kept the original box and packing, looks new.
Feels a little heavier than my Modi 3 but I'll have to check that out later. I was anxious to test it, even without a proper warmup so I hooked it up. I use a coax cable from my older Marantz CD5003 to the Modi, a pair of Morrow cables to a Bellari HD540 MKII with a Telefunken smooth plate.
Only one pair of headphones for now, HD-650's. I popped in Shelby Lynne's Just A Little Lovin and pressed play. I was not prepared for what I heard, and no warmup. I thought that the Modi 3 was good but this was like going from 2-D to 3-D, black and white to color, my 1978 Zenith to a Samsung QLED. So much more air and space between the instruments. The holographic soundstage. You can hear the room or studio ambiance. The instruments sound like musical instruments and the vocals are just amazing. I put in the Stones disc one from Bridges to Buenos Aires and was hearing details that I hadn't heard before with the Modi 3. Time to sell the Modi 3 because I can't imagine using it again. I can't imagine what high dollar DAC must sound like but I paid less than 200 for this one and it ain't going anywhere.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #4,211 of 4,588
I can't imagine what high dollar DAC must sound like but I paid less than 200 for this one and it ain't going anywhere.

You're just getting the icing on the cake. Bifrost 2 is on a complete different level though at the cost of multiple Modi Multibit

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #4,212 of 4,588
You're just getting the icing on the cake. Bifrost 2 is on a complete different level though at the cost of multiple Modi Multibit
I was bidding on Bifrost multibit and was asleep when the auction ended. Lost it by like five bucks, think it went for 335. Well, the little Modi will hold me over for a while but I'll keep my eyes wide open next time.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #4,213 of 4,588
I was bidding on Bifrost multibit and was asleep when the auction ended. Lost it by like five bucks, think it went for 335. Well, the little Modi will hold me over for a while but I'll keep my eyes wide open next time.

IMHO, Bifrost Multibit isn't worth the extra dough for upgrade as the difference isn't as clear cut as the Bifrost 2. Enjoy your gear and when the itch comes, be sure to audition the Bifrost 2 :)

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #4,214 of 4,588
Aloha All!

I’m having a very hard time deciding between the Jotunheim and the THX AAA 789. From what I’ve read, they’re very similar and neither is really “better” than the other. I know I want to pair my amp with the Mimby and a pair of HD650s. Does anyone have any experience with this chain? Any knowledge on if the Mimby pairs better with the Jot or 789? Any thoughts are welcome, but especially if someone has tried both with the Mimby. Maybe this will help me decide between the two. Thanks for any feedback!

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #4,215 of 4,588
The firmware updated Modi 2 arrived today. The seller had kept the original box and packing, looks new.
Feels a little heavier than my Modi 3 but I'll have to check that out later. I was anxious to test it, even without a proper warmup so I hooked it up. I use a coax cable from my older Marantz CD5003 to the Modi, a pair of Morrow cables to a Bellari HD540 MKII with a Telefunken smooth plate.
Only one pair of headphones for now, HD-650's. I popped in Shelby Lynne's Just A Little Lovin and pressed play. I was not prepared for what I heard, and no warmup. I thought that the Modi 3 was good but this was like going from 2-D to 3-D, black and white to color, my 1978 Zenith to a Samsung QLED. So much more air and space between the instruments. The holographic soundstage. You can hear the room or studio ambiance. The instruments sound like musical instruments and the vocals are just amazing. I put in the Stones disc one from Bridges to Buenos Aires and was hearing details that I hadn't heard before with the Modi 3. Time to sell the Modi 3 because I can't imagine using it again. I can't imagine what high dollar DAC must sound like but I paid less than 200 for this one and it ain't going anywhere.

Your experience mirrors mine exactly. I had viewed a review of the Modi 3 on another site, where it was lauded and well-received for its performance on a very expensive audio analyzer.
On that same site, any multibit or resistor-ladder DACs were basically cast aside and looked down upon due to "poor engineering and bad measurements".

I decided to purchase one and compare it directly to the Multibit (V1 at the time).
After 2 days of going back and forth between the two, the Modi 3 was up for sale (and sold very quickly, almost overnight).
The difference was not subtle at all, I knew for sure I was not the only one that had heard something like this.
Thanks for your impressions, it makes me a little more sane in this crazy world!

20200106_222814.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back