Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Dec 10, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #4,187 of 4,588
What should I look for inside my unit to see what chip I have? I'd hate to order one and already have it in there lol.

The firmware chip is an 8-pin DIP package, the only one in a socket, placed somewhat front and to the left on the PCB. As far as I know, the new firmware has a white sticker on it, while the old firmware has no sticker.

Alternatively, you could mail Schiit with the serial number of the unit, they should be able to tell if it shipped with the old firmware or the new.

Dec 19, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #4,190 of 4,588
should i get the magni3+ & modi multibit or asgard with multibit ? for sennheiser hd6xx? thanKs guys and cheers

Dec 19, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #4,191 of 4,588
I've been listening to the "impeccably measuring" Topping d50s for a good 2 weeks now and compared to the mimby v2, I have to say its just not in the same class and seems a bit of a letdown. This really makes me appreciate the mimby's value even more.

d50s has a very clean sound void of any color. Compared to other DS dacs i've heard like the modi 3 and d30, it is much more revealing & dynamic. However, it just sounds 2-dimensional and a more abstract sound (albeit clear) compared to the mimby.
D50s sounds like a clear recording, mimby sounds like real music in your room.

mimby v2 has the more musical presentation: better depth & realism (like it has 3-dimensional separation). It's also effortless in giving microdynamics and revealing subtle stuff going on in the mix. It also sounds more organic & lifelike compared to the d50s. And while the mimby is a bit warm, it still manage to provde more treble presence than the Topping d50s without the glare.

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #4,192 of 4,588
should i get the magni3+ & modi multibit or asgard with multibit ? for sennheiser hd6xx? thanKs guys and cheers

I have the Asgard 3 It is an amazing headphone amp. Whether you buy the mb card or the external DAC depends on what you want to feed it. If you just want to use usb, the card is attractive. If you also want to use coax or toslink, go external.

Dec 24, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #4,193 of 4,588
I just got Mimby and Magni 3 and love them. I guess I’m a real Schiithead.

Mimby worked right away with iPhone XR and no additional power was needed. I let it warm up 1 hour while I listened with Modi for reference. Mimby is everything I wanted to change about Modi. And that’s just preference - Modi is an awesome product, too. It has great resolution and detail particularly when the music gets busy. My perception is that Mimby adds depth and width to soundstage, and softens up things like cymbals and snare hits. Modi sounds like 2D reference and Mimby sounds like 3D experience. To me.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #4,194 of 4,588
^^ spot on. This is my same experience between the d50s and Mimby. d50s is super clear but its a bit lifeless because the sound is 2d in comparison to the mimby. It is even more impressive considering the d50s is the same price of the mimby and the mimby commes with a linear PSU and just a better more engaging sound.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #4,195 of 4,588
Haven't posted here in awhile. Really like the Modi 3 but I bought a used Modi 2 multibit with the firmware update for a fair price and it's on the way, ETA Monday. I'm using the Modis with my older Marantz CD player connected with a coax cable. The Modi 3 really made difference in the SQ, very happy with it. Looking forward to giving the multibit a try.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #4,196 of 4,588
Haven't posted here in awhile. Really like the Modi 3 but I bought a used Modi 2 multibit with the firmware update for a fair price and it's on the way, ETA Monday. I'm using the Modis with my older Marantz CD player connected with a coax cable. The Modi 3 really made difference in the SQ, very happy with it. Looking forward to giving the multibit a try.
You'll hopefully love yours as much as I have mine, man; it's a great dac. The Mimby got me looking into the whole R2R / multibit rabbit hole last year; I recently got an Audio GD R2R-11 and am loving it as much if not more than the Mimby.

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #4,197 of 4,588

It's a very good sounding DAC for a reasonable price. I owned the full sized Bifrost 4490 and Bifrost MB DAC's but once I heard the Mimby I couldn't justify the cost difference versus sound difference. I sold them both and bought a second Mimby, no regrets. It's a good idea to keep it powered on in order to maintain a constant temperature. Be sure to power it off (turn off & remove plug) for a few seconds and power it up again periodically to prevent quirky and flat sound.

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #4,198 of 4,588
It's a very good sounding DAC for a reasonable price. I owned the full sized Bifrost 4490 and Bifrost MB DAC's but once I heard the Mimby I couldn't justify the cost difference versus sound difference. I sold them both and bought a second Mimby, no regrets. It's a good idea to keep it powered on in order to maintain a constant temperature. Be sure to power it off (turn off & remove plug) for a few seconds and power it up again periodically to prevent quirky and flat sound.
I was bidding on bifrost multibit but lost out on it, slept through the final minutes. A seller had this Modi 2 multibit with the update so I made him an offer and he accepted it. Real nice guy, we've messaged back and forth and he wants to go with a DAC upgrade. I've read that the difference between the Bifrost MB and Modi MB was negligible, as you point out. The Modi 3 was my first taste of Schiit, couldn't resist, and I was impressed with the build quality and customer service. Also it's a fine sounding unit. It doesn't even have an off and on switch. I've read, as you recommend, to leave it powered on. How often to you turn yours off?

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #4,199 of 4,588
I was bidding on bifrost multibit but lost out on it, slept through the final minutes. A seller had this Modi 2 multibit with the update so I made him an offer and he accepted it. Real nice guy, we've messaged back and forth and he wants to go with a DAC upgrade. I've read that the difference between the Bifrost MB and Modi MB was negligible, as you point out. The Modi 3 was my first taste of Schiit, couldn't resist, and I was impressed with the build quality and customer service. Also it's a fine sounding unit. It doesn't even have an off and on switch. I've read, as you recommend, to leave it powered on. How often to you turn yours off?

I usually forget to power cycle it until I sense a slight "ringing" sound in the high frequencies. That's when I go "oh yeah" and do the power cycling and all's good again. So maybe once a month but sometimes I can go months and months without even thinking about it. It's no big deal, I just wanted you to be aware of it.

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #4,200 of 4,588
I usually forget to power cycle it until I sense a slight "ringing" sound in the high frequencies. That's when I go "oh yeah" and do the power cycling and all's good again. So maybe once a month but sometimes I can go months and months without even thinking about it. It's no big deal, I just wanted you to be aware of it.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll report back when it arrives and I get it warmed up. Scheduled for Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back