Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Oct 4, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #4,158 of 4,588
I'm just a bit confused because some people say it degrades sound quality, but then there are people who say there's no difference. For example, Tyll Hertsens used splitters when comparing amps.
I imagine it depends greatly on the quality of the splitter. Audioquest makes a splitter that looks like might be high quality. It’s got 4/5 stars on Amazon. Most of the reviews say no signal loss. A few of them do. At 12 bucks per channel it doesn’t seem like that big of a risk. Could be a fun experiment. Compare it to the schiit sys, which is 50 bucks.

Oct 4, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #4,159 of 4,588
I’ve tried the audio quest splitter. It depends. I’d be more worried about changing impedances than signal loss. For some there will be no difference. When I tried to split signals going into a rogue sphinx (trying to share an RCA port), the degradation was very noticeable. For a phono preamp it would not work at all. For other purposes, you may hear no difference.

Oct 4, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #4,160 of 4,588
I’d be pretty comfortable using splitters for digital coax. I’ve had varied results for analogue signals. There really is no way to know until you try. If, however, you use a switch, such as the sys, there will be no guessing.

Oct 4, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #4,161 of 4,588
In my experience with splitting various RCA outputs, there has always been at least a small reduction in SQ, but as long as the component being split has a decently robust output stage, there should only be a very small difference.

But there was one time when I split the output of some cheapie CD player, and all of the bass below 200Hz disappeared! As soon as I removed the splitter and extra cable, the bass was restored.

In that case, it was instantly obvious that the CD player's output stage wasn't up to the task, but most of the time it isn't problem.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #4,162 of 4,588
How can splitters differ in quality when it's basically a cable split in two? There is no electronics involved. If we are talking about simple splitters.

The result of splitting depends on the devices you are splitting into. If one amp has low input impedance and the other has high, I believe the latter will suffer. There are some amps that when turned off the input impedance drops. Also it may depend on the output impedance of the source.

Nov 18, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #4,166 of 4,588
Is there i consensus on how Mimby compares to Bimby? In terms of both tech and subjective sound quality.
Thanks!
bifrost has the better USB, and I've never heard weird glitchy artifacts in it from its USB. modi multibit, I had initially had that issue, so I got the Eitr to fix it.
modi, I've also had the occasional "ringing" issue where the sound in one channel gets weird, and the only solution is to power cycle it. Not sure if that's fixed in the firmware upgrade that been discussed here, or which version of the firmware I actually have for that.

Other than those issues, I can't tell them apart in A/B. The Bifrost is heavier, stacks better with my Asgard 2, and doesn't move around on the table as easily.

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #4,170 of 4,588
I was thinking the same, and was eyeing the close-out Bifrost 1 Multibits. There were 28 or so available yesterday but today they are all gone.
I was looking at those as well. I feel like they got taken down by Schiit(no stock?) as they all disappeared with in a few hours. or there is a Bimby megafan out there who bought all of the remaining stock :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back