Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 18, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #3,646 of 4,588
Does anyone else have the following going on with the MOdi MB:

Occasionally I must turn off and back on the Modi MB because there is ringing, distortion. I leave it on all the time.

I have an Eitr connected to my Mac , Modi,MB connected to Jotty.
Yes I have the same problem with mine as well I did not notice it when I was just using My HD600 And HD650 or ER4xr But when I plug in my SE846 I noticed it And it drove me crazy Until I turned it on and off And it fixed it Until The next random time And then I Turn it on and off again And it fixes the problem once more.
And I also keep mine on 24/7

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #3,647 of 4,588
Yes I have the same problem with mine as well I did not notice it when I was just using My HD600 And HD650 or ER4xr But when I plug in my SE846 I noticed it And it drove me crazy Until I turned it on and off And it fixed it Until The next random time And then I Turn it on and off again And it fixes the problem once more.
And I also keep mine on 24/7

What does Schiit say about this? (I do not have this problem, but I’m afraid it might manifest itself in the future...)

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #3,648 of 4,588
I have that too.

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #3,649 of 4,588
Well, finally got my Mimby and completed the mini-Schiit stack! Here in its pocket-sized magnificence:

IMG_20180118_103914.jpg

Warming up now, looking forward to listen to some sweet music

Jan 18, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #3,650 of 4,588

Occasionally I must turn off and back on the Modi MB because there is ringing, distortion. I leave it on all the time.

Hmm, never experienced this with my Mimby. And I leave mine on 24/7.

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #3,652 of 4,588
What does Schiit say about this? (I do not have this problem, but I’m afraid it might manifest itself in the future...)
I have not reported this issue to Schiit Since all I have to do is turn Off and on the dac And it fixes the problem Until the next random time.
And as far as the people that Are not Having the issue it's probably because Your earphones Or I am's Have a higher ohms Then my SE846 That are only 9ohms.

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #3,653 of 4,588
I have not reported this issue to Schiit Since all I have to do is turn Off and on the dac And it fixes the problem Until the next random time.
And as far as the people that Are not Having the issue it's probably because Your earphones Or I am's Have a higher ohms Then my SE846 That are only 9ohms.
I did report it .

The issue I have is doesn’t turning the Modi dac off and on again negatively impact audio quality ? That’s why I keep my dacs on 24/7

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #3,654 of 4,588

I don't know about that.. Don't have any issues, and I use both low (32ohm) and high (300ohm) headphones...

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #3,655 of 4,588
I don't know about that.. Don't have any issues, and I use both low (32ohm) and high (300ohm) headphones...
Yeah I doubt the headphone impedance matters for this issue. I leave mine on all the time and plug/unplug my phone into the attached wyrd multiple times daily. Using anything from 32 Ohm grados to 600 Ohm beyers with the connected vali2. The main issue I run into is the output from the iPhone occasionally skipping until I restart the phone.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #3,657 of 4,588

Don't have the issue, but have read most of this thread in the last couple weeks.

Mike Moffat (Schiit) indicated glitches can occur occasionally due to several potential outside influences. Solution: reboot it (switch it off for a few seconds) No harm, no foul.

Several posts indicate a ringing in one channel or another occasionally, or a lesser AS than normal. Seems like it was usually solved by rebooting. Just the messenger... don't shoot.

Just got mine yesterday, I think I'll leave it on 24/7, but reboot when getting ready to use it.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #3,658 of 4,588

New multibit. Arrived two weeks ago. Kept on 24/7 since install. Last night noticed something funny going on with left channel. Started looking inside earcup with flashlight for errant hair. Nothing! Sound was high pitched ringing, like underwater garbling. Was in all tracks when playing. Gone when not. Remembered this thread and flicked switch. 15 seconds later turned on. Problem gone after reboot. Now thinking about electrical timers to automate. Known defect in DSP code?

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #3,659 of 4,588
I've had the same kind of weird distortion happened many times with my Mimby. All distortions were gone with a reboot. At one point there was a suggestion of replacing the wall wart because that might be what caused the issue, but I just lived with it. I ended up selling mine anyway for another reason.

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #3,660 of 4,588
New multibit. Arrived two weeks ago. Kept on 24/7 since install. Last night noticed something funny going on with left channel. Started looking inside earcup with flashlight for errant hair. Nothing! Sound was high pitched ringing, like underwater garbling. Was in all tracks when playing. Gone when not. Remembered this thread and flicked switch. 15 seconds later turned on. Problem gone after reboot. Now thinking about electrical timers to automate. Known defect in DSP code?

That's a very good description of the ringing sound as that's how my Mimby sounds periodically. Let me specify however, I had no ringing issue with my 1.5 year old Mimby when I used it with my FiiO X5ii and Project Ember setup but after moving it to my Home Theatre setup that's when I first came across this ringing sound. It has happened 3-4 times since mid November 2017. I have no problem just turning it off and back on again because that does clear up this ringing sound.

I have since purchased another Mimby for my FiiO and Ember setup and as with the first Mimby there has been no ringing issue in this setup. Since coming across this ringing problem I now regularly do a reboot with both Mimby's and my Bimby to ensure that these multibit DAC's work properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back