Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jul 9, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #3,331 of 4,588
Just picked up the Modi Multibit. The differences between it and the Uber are pretty subtle. Anyone who says otherwise is likely full of schitt.

Where I notice it most is in the bass. It seems to be clearer with less distortion. If the bimbi sounds remotely similar it's definitely not worth the premium. My next jump will be Gumbi simply for a full balanced setup. But this will command a much better set of speakers as well.

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #3,333 of 4,588
Just picked up the Modi Multibit. The differences between it and the Uber are pretty subtle. Anyone who says otherwise is likely full of schitt.

Where I notice it most is in the bass. It seems to be clearer with less distortion. If the bimbi sounds remotely similar it's definitely not worth the premium. My next jump will be Gumbi simply for a full balanced setup. But this will command a much better set of speakers as well.
Do you only use speakers? I find that dac differences are easier to hear on headphones, the difference between my old dac and the mimby was quite big through my Elears.

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #3,334 of 4,588
The only headphones I use are a pair of jaybirds at the gym.

The speakers are JBL305s and a JBL LSR310S sub.

Where I used to feel I would hit distortion. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore. This is what I mean by clarity in the bass.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #3,335 of 4,588

I started out using a Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC on my 2 channel speaker system (Totem Staff speakers & Arcam amplification) to see if I could improve the sound due to acoustic issues in my listening room. It actually did improve the sound and needless to say I was thrilled. Months later I decided to build a dedicated headphone system and was very interested in the (at that time) newly released Bifrost MB DAC. So I purchased the Bimby and placed it into the 2 channel speaker system and used my Bifrost (now upgraded from Uber to 4490) in the headphone system. Although I did hear a small difference between the Bimby and 4490 in the speaker system I must confess that it wasn't as significant as it was when I first introduced a DAC into my speaker system. However when I compared both of my Bifrosts on my headphone system the differences were more apparent with respect to clarity and bass. Please understand that the differences on my headphone system were not night and day but they were clearly audible, whereas negligible on the speaker system.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #3,336 of 4,588
Sigh,

All of a sudden I'm getting popping noises before every single track I play. Also, at low volumes (or quite passages) I'm getting a ton of distortion/static...just bad noise all the time on every set of phones. I originally thought I may had a loose driver in my M1060's until I swapped out every set of phones but still experienced the same issues with the noise. It's got to be somewhere in the chain or in the Mimby. This just started and I've performed no changes at all except for swapping out HP's.
The Mimby's been on since I bought it and it's been close to 2 weeks.
I've used every USB port on the tower too (hoping a port was jacked up) and it didn't clear anything up. Any ideas? Still new to all this so technicality isn't my strong suite.
PC>USB>WYRD>USB>Mimby>RCA>Jot>SE Input

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #3,338 of 4,588
Turn off the Mimby and turn it back on in 5 seconds. When it's on for a long time its processor may develop a glitch that will go away after restart. It's like rebooting a computer.

Gave it a try and no go. Same issue. The sound has become distorted with a fuzz/distorted/noise just hanging there at all times.
Thanx for the reply though.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #3,339 of 4,588
Gave it a try and no go. Same issue. The sound has become distorted with a fuzz/distorted/noise just hanging there at all times.
Thanx for the reply though.

Anyone with any other possibilities? Absolutely ruins the sound. Cables?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #3,340 of 4,588
Sigh,

All of a sudden I'm getting popping noises before every single track I play. Also, at low volumes (or quite passages) I'm getting a ton of distortion/static...just bad noise all the time on every set of phones. I originally thought I may had a loose driver in my M1060's until I swapped out every set of phones but still experienced the same issues with the noise. It's got to be somewhere in the chain or in the Mimby. This just started and I've performed no changes at all except for swapping out HP's.
The Mimby's been on since I bought it and it's been close to 2 weeks.
I've used every USB port on the tower too (hoping a port was jacked up) and it didn't clear anything up. Any ideas? Still new to all this so technicality isn't my strong suite.
PC>USB>WYRD>USB>Mimby>RCA>Jot>SE Input

If possible connect a CD player via coaxial or toslink to your Mimby thereby removing the PC & USB equation entirely from your situation. See if this eliminates your issue. If it does at least you have isolated the problem. If the problem continues then there might be an issue with your Mimby and warrant contact with Schiit.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #3,341 of 4,588
If possible connect a CD player via coaxial or toslink to your Mimby thereby removing the PC & USB equation entirely from your situation. See if this eliminates your issue. If it does at least you have isolated the problem. If the problem continues then there might be an issue with your Mimby and warrant contact with Schiit.

Good idea. The prob is I don't have anything portable nor any other cables. Going toslink/coax is a great idea anyway so I have that set in my sites.
The biggest problem is I bought this used from a member of this site off classified. No warranty.
I appreciate your insight and response.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,342 of 4,588
Good idea. The prob is I don't have anything portable nor any other cables. Going toslink/coax is a great idea anyway so I have that set in my sites.
The biggest problem is I bought this used from a member of this site off classified. No warranty.
Recommend buying a chromecast audio if you use a streaming service, if you don't have one already. Super practical and cheap.

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #3,343 of 4,588

Warranty or not, it's still worth it to contact Schiit. They should be able to give you both suggestions and what your repair options are.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #3,345 of 4,588

Do you have a blu-ray player or old DVD player? They likely have coax or optical outputs. Buy a cheap coax or optical cable. If that works then you could bypass the USB input by getting a fairly cheap USB to SPDIF converter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back