Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Mar 26, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #2,911 of 4,588
I wasn't giving any advice on whether you should send the source material to the Mimby at its native sample rate or if you should upsample it in software. All I was telling you is that the Mimby will upsample any source material that is sent to it unless it is 24/176.4 or 24/192. If it is sent to Mimby at 24/176.4 or 24/192, it will act like a NOS (non-oversampling) DAC.

Personally, when I had a Mimby and what I do with my Yggy, is always send the source material at its native sampling rate. Most software has a setting like that.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #2,912 of 4,588
  I wasn't giving any advice on whether you should send the source material to the Mimby at its native sample rate or if you should upsample it in software. All I was telling you is that the Mimby will upsample any source material that is sent to it unless it is 24/176.4 or 24/192. If it is sent to Mimby at 24/176.4 or 24/192, it will act like a NOS (non-oversampling) DAC.

Personally, when I had a Mimby and what I do with my Yggy, is always send the source material at its native sampling rate. Most software has a setting like that.

This is the most confusing part for me so far and I don't have an answer to my question. Perhaps you can answer it. Mimby is 16 bit and Schiit engineers wrote somewhere (I can find the quote if needed) that if it is fed anything higher than 16bit then the extra bits will simply be discarded. Then why oh why does it internally upsample to 24 bits only to discard 8 bits?

In Windows the maximum bitdepth for Mimby is 32 bits. It can be fed 32 bit streams and, for example JRiver Media Center does it by default. I can't set it to send streams in native bitdepth, I can only set the maximum bitdepth. I believe Foobar is the same. What software did you mean in your last sentence?

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #2,913 of 4,588

This is the most confusing part for me so far and I don't have an answer to my question. Perhaps you can answer it. Mimby is 16 bit and Schiit engineers wrote somewhere (I can find the quote if needed) that if it is fed anything higher than 16bit then the extra bits will simply be discarded. Then why oh why does it internally upsample to 24 bits only to discard 8 bits?

In Windows the maximum bitdepth for Mimby is 32 bits. It can be fed 32 bit streams and, for example JRiver Media Center does it by default. I can't set it to send streams in native bitdepth, I can only set the maximum bitdepth. I believe Foobar is the same. What software did you mean in your last sentence?

If you use WASAPI exclusive mode (there is a setting in JRiver) then the Mimy will be sent the native data. At least it works that way in JRiver. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #2,915 of 4,588

Sheesh! Why don't you just ask the people that make the fricken' DAC how it works?

Why don't you cool your jets?

I am not exactly sure how Mimby does what it does when presented with 24 bit source material. Is there any real 32 bit source material?

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #2,916 of 4,588
Sheesh! Why don't you just ask the people that make the fricken' DAC how it works?

They are active in this thread.

Perhaps not daily, but Schiit does answer questions (and make Schiitty comments) here.

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #2,917 of 4,588

the windows panel let you choose frequency range up to the level that the dac you are using supports...
i try to explain... when i had mojo i could choose up to 384khz or something.. with fulla 2 only up to 96... so i think that from windows you can choose the frequency that the dac will us eventually upsampling the source.
is that right? some nerd advice would be needed....

No. Whatever you set it to in windows, windows upsamples everything to that quality level.

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #2,918 of 4,588
Use asio  in your music player to send the exact format 16 bits 44.1 mhz, for example, Set Windows audio to whatever you want,it's not gonna be that critical in day to day usage and won't affect your music playing using asio.
The multibit dac will toss out anything above 16 bits which is better then most dacs. To quote: "Multibit DACs differ from the vast majority of DACs in that they use true 16-20 bit D/A converters that can reproduce the exact level of every digital audio sample. Most DACs use inexpensive delta-sigma technology with a bit depth of only 1-5 bits to approximate the level of every digital audio sample, based on the values of the samples that precede and follow it"

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,919 of 4,588

I think the filter operates in 24 or 32 bits. I'm not mimby's designer but with calculations you generally want to avoid rounding until the end (if the goal is to minimize error)

Mimby rounds to 16 bits at the end because mimby uses a 16 bit dac.

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #2,920 of 4,588
I think the filter operates in 24 or 32 bits. I'm not mimby's designer but with calculations you generally want to avoid rounding until the end (if the goal is to minimize error)

Mimby rounds to 16 bits at the end because mimby uses a 16 bit dac.

Any digital audio data less than 20-22 bits is questionable, any below 24 bit is made up or hallucinated and presented as a specmanship hand job. The DSP processor in all Schiit multibit gear is 32 bit, waaaaaay overkill, but it is only doing various math functions on the data. At the very end of the chain, the data is rounded to 16 bits (Bimby-Mumbai) and sent to the DACs.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 27, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #2,921 of 4,588
Any digital audio data less than 20-22 bits is questionable, any below 24 bit is made up or hallucinated and presented as a specmanship hand job. The DSP processor in all Schiit multibit gear is 32 bit, waaaaaay overkill, but it is only doing various math functions on the data. At the very end of the chain, the data is rounded to 16 bits (Bimby-Mumbai) and sent to the DACs.

Sorry, am unsure what you meant by your 1st sentence...

And also, it's Mimby, not Mumbai haha (yes, Modi and Mumbai are associated with each other but still...)

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #2,922 of 4,588

And also, it's Mimby, not Mumbai haha (yes, Modi and Mumbai are associated with each other but still...)

I think "less" == less significant bits == bits farther to the right. So in this case he's saying bits >20-22 are of very questionable significance.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #2,923 of 4,588

Since he made it, he may call it anything he likes...

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back