Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 7, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #2,147 of 4,588

Thanks for the input!
I know the Multibit here is more expensive since it doesn't include an amp too. But does it work well when paired with the $99 amp from Schiit? Or are there better amps for the price?

Depends on how much you're willing to spend and how well it would pair with your headphones.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #2,148 of 4,588
Different league. In my humble opinion the ODAC cannot be compared with the Mimby.

The second offers better features (RCA SPDIF), and it is also more expensive.

Regarding the SQ it depends on the personal taste.

The match O2-Mimby sounds to me more luscious and yet rich in details.

The ODAC is a kinda of more neutral, a bit algid...

But then, again, it depends on the headphones match and on the personal taste.

Thanks for the input!
I know the Multibit here is more expensive since it doesn't include an amp too. But does it work well when paired with the $99 amp from Schiit? Or are there better amps for the price?

I cannot reply to your answer as I don't have the Magni, but the Vali2.
In any case I believe that at Schiit, they considered the synergy between the components.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #2,149 of 4,588
  Depends on how much you're willing to spend and how well it would pair with your headphones.

I only have 1More Triple driver, and some Panasonic RP-HD10.

Then I have a few cheap sets for workouts or talking in the car, etc.

I don't really plan on buying anything else crazy, maybe another IEM in the future and maybe Oppo PM-3 later on.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #2,150 of 4,588
  I don't think I have the stamina to go through almost 150 pages of this discussion, but did anyone here not like the mimby and if so why?

The general consensus is that the Mimby is excellent for its price; even defeating higher-priced DACs. Hence you won't see much of such opinions.

That said, the reason people give for going from Mimby to something else (e.g. Bimby, Gumby, Yggy or other brands) is the "glassy" sound for higher notes (main reason), "weaker" USB input (going to Bimby solves this), lack of upgradability and having to keep it on at all times for optimum performance (main issue with Schiit's R2R DACs)

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #2,151 of 4,588
This could well be the wrong place, but has anyone compared the multibit to the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100?

I am looking right at this price point and both can be had for $250, so I'm interested to hear from someone that has tried both. I have found a few reviews comparing the base BiFrost, but none on the much newer Mimby.

I already have a DacMagic and I like it a lot, however I'm in need of a second DAC and I'm kind of interested in the Schiit if only so I don't have 2 of the same item...

I'll be using it to power an extensively modified Silicon Chip Headphone Amp, http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/3622/silicon-chip-headphone-amp-tweaks, and pushing Beyer DT250's and AKG K702's.

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #2,152 of 4,588

I only have 1More Triple driver, and some Panasonic RP-HD10.

Then I have a few cheap sets for workouts or talking in the car, etc.

I don't really plan on buying anything else crazy, maybe another IEM in the future and maybe Oppo PM-3 later on.

Yeah I wouldn't go too crazy with dac/amps, my $10 buds sound kinda weird and bloated out of anything with higher than average power.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #2,153 of 4,588

The general consensus is that the Mimby is excellent for its price; even defeating higher-priced DACs. Hence you won't see much of such opinions.

That said, the reason people give for going from Mimby to something else (e.g. Bimby, Gumby, Yggy or other brands) is the "glassy" sound for higher notes (main reason), "weaker" USB input (going to Bimby solves this), lack of upgradability and having to keep it on at all times for optimum performance (main issue with Schiit's R2R DACs)

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,154 of 4,588
Is the modi multibit + basic Jotunheim-nodac/no phono stage a better option (due to what I assume is a better dac from the multibit--please correct me if I am wrong)

than buying the

Jotunheim with the DAC included?

Also help me out, as I'm am thoroughly confused. I need a balanced headphone amp---does that mean I HAVE to buy the Jotunheim with the additional balanced dac card for the extra $100, or does it have the ability to run as a balanced amp in the default $399 configuration?

Thanks

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #2,156 of 4,588
Is the modi multibit + basic Jotunheim-nodac/no phono stage a better option (due to what I assume is a better dac from the multibit--please correct me if I am wrong)

than buying the

Jotunheim with the DAC included?

Also help me out, as I'm am thoroughly confused. I need a balanced headphone amp---does that mean I HAVE to buy the Jotunheim with the additional balanced dac card for the extra $100, or does it have the ability to run as a balanced amp in the default $399 configuration?

Thanks

I don't have any, but the mainstream here is that the Mimby outperforms the balanced DAC on the Jot, the last being well worth the 100$ though.

As for the balanced out, you just need a balanced amp. Better results going full balanced, but not night and day differences.

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #2,157 of 4,588

Wait, so I should not keep turning my Mimby off every night?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back