Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 4, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #2,131 of 4,588
Just a quick question... I own a Modi Multibit, and am wanting to see if optical will give better sound (for me, obviously it means jack schiit for anyone else, just like all the other praise choir reviews you read), but this same optical cable linked over and effing over again is mini to optical. Does the modi have a mini optical out????

It doesn't right? It's just someone spamming the rarity they happen to have?

The cable you are looking at is for connecting a mac laptop to Modi. Modi uses a standard TOSLINK connector. I use a $6 amazon cable to connect mine to the TV. Standard TOSLINK on both ends.

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #2,132 of 4,588
The cable you are looking at is for connecting a mac laptop to Modi. Modi uses a standard TOSLINK connector. I use a $6 amazon cable to connect mine to the TV. Standard TOSLINK on both ends.

Some other products which support this are the Mac Mini and the Chromecast audio, of course there are many other such products.
Also, be aware that the 2016 MacBook Pro dropped the optical output.

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #2,135 of 4,588
I am going to buy a DXIO Pro3z.

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #2,136 of 4,588
Have you ever compared the Singxer F-1 to the Singxer X-1?

I have never heard the X-1.  

I do have a Singxer SU-1, and I prefer the F-1.  But that may be because I'm using a really good power supply (Uptone Audio LPS-1) to power my microRendu, which is feeding the F-1 (and providing really good/clean 5 volts of power).  

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #2,138 of 4,588
How does this compare to the ODAC? Or the O2DAC/Amp Combo (with this DAC connected to a Magni 2)?

Different league. In my humble opinion the ODAC cannot be compared with the Mimby.
The second offers better features (RCA SPDIF), and it is also more expensive.
Regarding the SQ it depends on the personal taste.
The match O2-Mimby sounds to me more luscious and yet rich in details.
The ODAC is a kinda of more neutral, a bit algid...
But then, again, it depends on the headphones match and on the personal taste.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #2,140 of 4,588
I heard the Mimby yesterday at Canjam. Was very impressed with the Vali 2 and Mimby combo.

For the money it is an amazing combo...

beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #2,143 of 4,588
I ran into a slightly concerning issue while switching inputs a whole bunch... A ghostly high pitch noise that seems to go away by restarting it, haven't tried to recreate it!

I remembered reading online that the optical input on the modi multibit "might" be superior to the USB input.  So I spent some time today downloading a portable copy of Foobar2k and using WASAPI to optical and ASIO to USB from the PC, playing at the same time. (96k FLAC instrumental, then some vocal and some 88kHz optical 176kHz USB DSD->PCM files)  I kept switching between the inputs on the Mimby trying to detect any differences, but I couldn't note anything discernible ...
But about 7 minutes into this A/Bing by pressing the input switch on the Mimby, quite often...  I noticed a weird subtle high pitch ghost ringing, noise that mocked the music being played focused on the left side, on both inputs.  I wondered if I had been playing the music too loud and broken something in my testing!  It did not go away until I decided to switch the Modi MB off for 10 seconds.  

Whew.  Seems back to normal now.  But perhaps it's not a good idea to switch inputs too often without rebooting the Modi eventually?  Bought the Mimby in December.  
...perhaps it had something to do with a DSD->PCM file being played, with optical set at 88kHz and USB at 176kHz.  Because Schiit got real when it realized I was playing a DSD file.  lol

Equipment:
Foobar2kportable ASIO -> USB 2 port -> Plain ole short USB 2 cable from an external drive -> Modi Multibit -> PYST RCA -> Jotunheim -> SE -> Stock Cable HD 650
Foobar2k WASAPI (event) -> optical port -> Radioshack 3' optical cable -> Modi Multibit -> PYST RCA -> Jotunheim -> SE -> Stock Cable HD 650
*using the latest USB Mimby drivers were a hassle but finally got them working.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #2,144 of 4,588
  I ran into a slightly concerning issue while switching inputs a whole bunch... A ghostly high pitch noise that seems to go away by restarting it, haven't tried to recreate it!

I remembered reading online that the optical input on the modi multibit "might" be superior to the USB input.  So I spent some time today downloading a portable copy of Foobar2k and using WASAPI to optical and ASIO to USB from the PC, playing at the same time. (96k FLAC instrumental, then some vocal and some 88kHz optical 176kHz USB DSD->PCM files)  I kept switching between the inputs on the Mimby trying to detect any differences, but I couldn't note anything discernible ...
But about 7 minutes into this A/Bing by pressing the input switch on the Mimby, quite often...  I noticed a weird subtle high pitch ghost ringing, noise that mocked the music being played focused on the left side, on both inputs.  I wondered if I had been playing the music too loud and broken something in my testing!  It did not go away until I decided to switch the Modi MB off for 10 seconds.  

Whew.  Seems back to normal now.  But perhaps it's not a good idea to switch inputs too often without rebooting the Modi eventually?  Bought the Mimby in December.  
...perhaps it had something to do with a DSD->PCM file being played, with optical set at 88kHz and USB at 176kHz.  Because Schiit got real when it realized I was playing a DSD file.  lol

Equipment:
Foobar2kportable ASIO -> USB 2 port -> Plain ole short USB 2 cable from an external drive -> Modi Multibit -> PYST RCA -> Jotunheim -> SE -> Stock Cable HD 650
Foobar2k WASAPI (event) -> optical port -> Radioshack 3' optical cable -> Modi Multibit -> PYST RCA -> Jotunheim -> SE -> Stock Cable HD 650
*using the latest USB Mimby drivers were a hassle but finally got them working.

The Mimby does have a sample rate bug which occurs rarely when switching between different rates. Doing exactly what you did, turning it off and then on, makes it go away. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #2,145 of 4,588
Different league. In my humble opinion the ODAC cannot be compared with the Mimby.
The second offers better features (RCA SPDIF), and it is also more expensive.
Regarding the SQ it depends on the personal taste.
The match O2-Mimby sounds to me more luscious and yet rich in details.
The ODAC is a kinda of more neutral, a bit algid...
But then, again, it depends on the headphones match and on the personal taste.

Thanks for the input!
I know the Multibit here is more expensive since it doesn't include an amp too. But does it work well when paired with the $99 amp from Schiit? Or are there better amps for the price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back