Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 3, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #2,116 of 4,588
  I'm pretty much a newbie at this, and I apologize if this is a dumb question. I'm planning to get a Mimby in a couple of weeks and understand that Schiit recommends leaving it on 24/7 so as to keep it properly warmed up for best sound.I have no problem with this, but I plan to use the Mimby on my laptop for music and gaming and from my TV's optical out for Blu-rays and streaming video; I'm currently using a Fulla 2 like this (line in from my TV's RCA output) and move it between the two several times a day. This would necessitate unplugging the Mimby for maybe 30 seconds (I have a small apartment). Would it remain warmed up even though unplugged very briefly a couple of times a day?

Also, I want to get an amp to pair with the Mimby. I have a Fidelio X2 and a brand new 400i. I'm wavering between the Magni 2 (probably regular since it should have plenty of power for those two and I don't need the Uber's outputs) and a Vali 2. What differences in sound quality might I expect between those amps with those headphones?

FYI There seems to be someone convincing people that the only difference between the Magni 2 Uber and the Magni 2 is just the extra inputs and the pre outs. This is not true and I would hate for you or anyone else to be misled.  Just by looking at the Specs The Uber Has a greater power output, Less THD and a greater SNR and even different Power supplies. Then even in the topology description The Uber says  it has a complementary VAS drive which the Standard does not list. Even if you do not know what the things mean, it is clear they are not the same with one having more ports.  With that said I have the Magni 2 Uber and the Vali 2, I like them both but the Vali 2 Gets way more drive time. I have a preference for tubes so i am biased.

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #2,117 of 4,588
The Modi Multibit is amazing.

It arrived yesterday, i hooked it up to check if it was working. (DOA check)
I left it to warm up for 2 hours, then started listening ...

It's great ! I love it !
The soundstage is wide and deep, warm and friendly.
It's difficult to explain what makes the Modi Multibit so good.
But "Ëverything" comes close.

I use a Squeezebox Duet to play my music.
The Duet has a Wolfson DAC build in. I was under the impression it was ok.
Well it wasn't. Not compared to the Modi Multibit. Not even close.

I use the Modi Multibit on my main stereo; Final Audio ESL's and sub, Vincent amplifiers.

Thank you people of Shiit, for this beautiful and affordable DAC.

Greetings from Holland,

Erik

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #2,118 of 4,588

It's great ! I love it !

I use the Modi Multibit on my main stereo; Final Audio ESL's and sub, Vincent amplifiers.

Greetings from Holland,

Erik

Welcome to the Schiit Multibit club...

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2,119 of 4,588

It's great ! I love it !

Greetings from Holland,

Erik

I found a slight improvement in sound can be had from the duet by replacing the switching wall wart with a linear one.

http://www.jameco.com/z/GPU41090500WD00-4-5W-AC-to-DC-Regulated-Linear-Wall-Adapter-9-Volt-0-5-Amps_1953639.html

You will also need a small barrel power plug to replace the 2.1 mm one

Edit: sorry, just realized you will need a 220v version. You get the idea.

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #2,120 of 4,588
FYI There seems to be someone convincing people that the only difference between the Magni 2 Uber and the Magni 2 is just the extra inputs and the pre outs. This is not true and I would hate for you or anyone else to be misled.  Just by looking at the Specs The Uber Has a greater power output, Less THD and a greater SNR and even different Power supplies. Then even in the topology description The Uber says  it has a complementary VAS drive which the Standard does not list. Even if you do not know what the things mean, it is clear they are not the same with one having more ports.  With that said I have the Magni 2 Uber and the Vali 2, I like them both but the Vali 2 Gets way more drive time. I have a preference for tubes so i am biased.

I appreciate the response. I am aware that the Magni 2 Uber has somewhat more power than the base model along with other upgrades in addition to the preamp outs. I do an inordinate amount of research before any purchase, which is often more enjoyable than the actual purchase. (As Mr. Spock said in Amok Time: "having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.") It is just my impression that since the power of the base Magni 2 is more than sufficient for my headphones (Fidelio X2, Hifiman 400i), the power increase and other upgrades of the Uber are very unlikely to present any audible difference to my untrained ears and I have no need for the outputs. (I guess it's silly, but the main reason for me to consider the Uber is to get the upgraded finish to match the Mimby.)

However, since the Vali 2 is a hybrid tube amp, it may well present some sonic difference even for a neophyte audiophile like me. Since for reasons of finance (I'm retired on a fixed income) and sanity I don't really want to get into tube rolling, I'm leaning to the base Magni atm. However, I won't be ordering for a couple of weeks since I am waiting on a check; undoubtedly, I'll go back and forth numerous times before I pull the trigger.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,121 of 4,588
A linear power supply improves the soundquality of the Squeezebox. But its a small improvement. The Modi Multibit makes the spdif output of the Squeezebox sing. Still cant believe how much better everything sounds.

Feb 4, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #2,122 of 4,588
The only things I don't like about my Mimby is that fact that you need to keep it on all the time to sound its best.

I also wish the coax connection had a screw connecting it to the back of the chassis like the optical. The coax is just wired directly to the board. My coax feels kinda wobbly and my cable needs a ton of force to go on. I'm really worried I'm going to snap the damn thing off. The weight of the cable alone is causing it to flex. Any Ideas?

I'm wondering if I can solder on a more durable connection.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #2,125 of 4,588
I know this question and its answer has been done but (sorry) I don't find it.
Could you suggest a good toslink/mini-tosklink short cable (10, 30 or 50cm as max) to connect Chromecast Audio to Mimby.
Happy if the URL of answers is provided.
Thanks

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #2,126 of 4,588
I know this question and its answer has been done but (sorry) I don't find it.
Could you suggest a good toslink/mini-tosklink short cable (10, 30 or 50cm as max) to connect Chromecast Audio to Mimby.
Happy if the URL of answers is provided.
Thanks

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #2,129 of 4,588
Just a quick question... I own a Modi Multibit, and am wanting to see if optical will give better sound (for me, obviously it means jack schiit for anyone else, just like all the other praise choir reviews you read), but this same optical cable linked over and effing over again is mini to optical. Does the modi have a mini optical out????

It doesn't right? It's just someone spamming the rarity they happen to have?

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #2,130 of 4,588
  Just a quick question... I own a Modi Multibit, and am wanting to see if optical will give better sound (for me, obviously it means jack schiit for anyone else, just like all the other praise choir reviews you read), but this same optical cable linked over and effing over again is mini to optical. Does the modi have a mini optical out????

It doesn't right? It's just someone spamming the rarity they happen to have?

No, it has a standard optical in jack. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back