Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 18, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #1,908 of 4,588
Yep no issues at all using CCA>toslink>Mimby, but haven't tried anything beyond 16/44.1. But others have said the CCA puts out good toslink, so I'm optimistic. Not at my house, set up a friend's system. I do love Tidal running through the CCA to toslink, what a cool low-cost combo!

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #1,909 of 4,588
For the popping and clicks under WASAPI, you can also try adjusting the latency for the device. I'm not sure the exact steps under foobar as I use jRiver. I had been using the Mimby via USB with a 10msec latency and all was well but I got a new sound card and switched to optical and it was pop city. I remembered that I had lowered the latency and set it back to 50msec and all was well.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #1,910 of 4,588
For the popping and clicks under WASAPI, you can also try adjusting the latency for the device. I'm not sure the exact steps under foobar as I use jRiver. I had been using the Mimby via USB with a 10msec latency and all was well but I got a new sound card and switched to optical and it was pop city. I remembered that I had lowered the latency and set it back to 50msec and all was well.

I do most of my listening on Tidal right now, but I managed to solve my popping issue last night by installing VB-Audio ASIO bridge and asio4all, was then able to set latency in asio bridge.  No more popping :)

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #1,911 of 4,588
Decided to pull the trigger and order a Mimby. I Placed the order last night and it's shipping today. I haven't made any changes to my system in a few years, so I am excited. Mimby -> Crack -> HD650 for music listening, Mimby+Magni2 for movies/gaming. This will be my first Schiit gear. Now the agonizing wait for it to arrive!

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,912 of 4,588
  Decided to pull the trigger and order a Mimby. I Placed the order last night and it's shipping today. I haven't made any changes to my system in a few years, so I am excited. Mimby -> Crack -> HD650 for music listening, Mimby+Magni2 for movies/gaming. This will be my first Schiit gear. Now the agonizing wait for it to arrive!

Nice first piece of Schiit.  Welcome to the club...

beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #1,913 of 4,588
I upgraded my Modi 2 Uber to the Multibit (interim while waiting for MJ2 to return in stock so I can get it + Gungnir Multibit) and it might be the first component change where I think I unequivocally could hear the difference. Went from PC -> Wyrd -> Modi 2 Uber -> Magni 2 Uber -> LCD-XC to PC -> Wyrd -> Modi 2 Multi -> Magni 2 Uber -> LCD-XC.

It's hard to describe the difference in sound, but things sound more "open" with more detail. Mathematically, I feel as if I took a FFT or plotted a complex magnitude and phase plot, the largest difference will be in the phase behavior between the two DACs. I think instruments like percussion, or elements with sharp attack showcase the phase behavior of systems fairly well, and I could tell a difference between the two fairly easily. However, for me personally, when a more advanced / higher performance component showcases previously masked aspects in a song, my brain now knows what to look for, and I can pick it out with less-advanced components -- but that's because I know what to listen for.

Also, the source selection button (which I literally never use) doesn't rattle around like it did on the Modi 2 Uber I received (Q4 2016)...but I never use it, so doesn't really matter to me.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #1,914 of 4,588
Alright guys, I think I will need a bit of help here:

Apparently my Mimby won't take in any 192KHz signals at all from my laptop's Optical Out (Realtek) but it would do so when I am using another computer's Realtek Optical Out. This means I cannot play anything at all if I set the output format to 24/192 in Windows, and even I set it to 24/96, I cannot use ASIO4ALL as it would still try to play 24/192 content at 24/192 (i.e. no downsampling)

I did not face such issues with my Fiio Taishan at all though, and I can clearly see that my laptop can transmit such signals when I play test tones in Windows Control Panel (moving green bar e.t.c.)

Also, I noticed that my Mimby can be warm to touch at times but sometimes get very hot to touch despite other factors (e.g. weather, if air conditioner is used or not). I am unsure if this is normal or not.

Anyone have faced similar issues too? (I have already emailed Schiit about this)

My cable has to be oriented slightly upward for it to work. Luckily, I have gravity on my side. It's very strange.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #1,915 of 4,588
I decided to go for MomBi. will gonna order soon. just want to know which will be a great amp selection for this little baby? though I want to add this with lyr 2. but please let me what do u think? I have a El8 laying around with me, a k7xx and few other stuffs. want an amp which not only have quality amplification but also offers great power . because will gonna end buying some hungry cans.
i am open for suggestions

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,916 of 4,588
I decided to go for MomBi. will gonna order soon. just want to know which will be a great amp selection for this little baby? though I want to add this with lyr 2. but please let me what do u think? I have a El8 laying around with me, a k7xx and few other stuffs. want an amp which not only have quality amplification but also offers great power . because will gonna end buying some hungry cans.
i am open for suggestions.

Certainly can't go wrong with the Jotunheim.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #1,920 of 4,588
Joty is always gonna be a good option, but its kinda pain for me to get an extra 4pin balanced cable for my headphones too.

Just cut 8" - 12" off the end of your stock HD650 cable and terminate the cut ends with XLR's.  Gives you a balanced cable and an adaptor to listen Single Ended on your Jot or other amps.  I had a solder experienced friend do mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back