Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 16, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #1,891 of 4,588
My Modi Multibit receives 24/192 from my Asus Xonar DX just fine.

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #1,896 of 4,588
It is the best sounding DAC that I know of for less than $1K.

I've never had anything up to a grand, but I tried several dacs in its price category and it handily beat all of them. Gotta run through toslink though. I really enjoy it.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #1,897 of 4,588
Usually optical for 24/192 has more to do with the cable and cleanliness of the sending port than the DAC when it comes to Schiit products.

Thanks, I didn't think about the cleanliness of the port (the laptop is with me for close to 6 years!), now let me see what's going on there

And 24/192 is  challenge for optical in general. You'll see that in many pieces of gear, optical is specified as only providing up 10 24/96. Not sure what solutions might be there for you? A higher quality cable? (would love recs) A signal booster? 

Thanks, but, 24/192 is already confirmed to be working on my Fiio Taishan. So I don't think it's about my laptop onboard audio being not up to task. But you have a point on getting new cables; I am now using a Monster (don't laugh, it was cheap! 20 SGD for 1.5m. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Monster-THX-I100-FO-4-THX-Certified/dp/B004KPLGS6) cable that I am unsure if it is the "normal" cable or the "better" glass cable that I have been hearing about for years.

192 has never been officially supported by toslink, so most of the time when you see 96, it has nothing to do with whether the gear can do 192, but rather that they just blindly repeated the spec.

I use this cable and have only had one brief instance where it wouldn't lock 192. Carefully wiped down the end with camera lens cleaning solution and it locked 192 fine again.

FosPower (6 Feet) 24K Gold Plated Toslink to Mini Toslink Digital Optical S/PDIF Audio Cable with Metal Connectors & Strain-Relief PVC Jacket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T8HWV62/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_JvpFybMQ7XD2A

MacBook Pro to that cable to MiMBy. They make "regular" connector versions as well that, if anything, should be better than the MacBook .375mm connector version.

Hmm. My cable is similar to what you linked to, except I am using some normal Toslink to 3.5mm mini-Toslink adapter on the laptop (yes, I have attempted changing it with my other spares, issue still persist)

Will either 96% Denatured Alcohol or DeoxIT D100L work?

My Modi Multibit receives 24/192 from my Asus Xonar DX just fine.

Thanks for the confirm! As a sidenote, when I was testing on another computer (which worked using its Realtek Optical Out), I realised that the Creative Soundblaster Z can do only 24/96 for its Optical Out.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #1,898 of 4,588
It is the best sounding DAC that I know of for less than $1K.

Those less then 1k dac from MHDT can compete with mimby depending on your preference for music genre and dac types.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #1,900 of 4,588
Those less then 1k dac from MHDT can compete with mimby depending on your preference for music genre and dac types.

The less than $1K Bifrost Multibit can compete also 
tongue.gif

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,901 of 4,588
I received my Mimby yesterday, I started by connecting via optical to my motherboard.  It seemed to work fine with 24/192, but I noticed a popping sound when I started a song or when I skipped to different parts of the track.  Every time the audio started again there would be a pop/crackle.  I tried setting to 24/96 and the problem persisted.  I switched to USB, set to 24/192, and the problem was gone.  I'm guessing this is an issue with my motherboard's onboard optical (this is my motherboard) rather than an issue with the Mimby.  Just curious if anyone had experienced something similar.

Unrelated question:  When I plugged mimby in via USB, Windows 10 installed it automatically as Schiit USB Audio Gen 2.  The manual said that I needed to install drivers from schiit.com/drivers, but when I tried the driver installer it just said "please connect cmedia usb device" and the installer would exit.  It seems to work fine, just checking to see what the actual setup procedure is.

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,902 of 4,588
Has anyone A/B'd the modimultibit against the mojo. i have the modi feeding an earmax pro tube amp and cannot decide whether to build a new mojo rig. if the sound is considerably different (not necessarily better) this would motivate me to get off my..........and start the new mojo rig for home use. my idea is to use an intona with b and o h6 cans. would a jitterbug do most of what the intona can do sonically speaking? thanks to all remember the modi is a multibit. the modi is fed from an intona industrial

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,903 of 4,588
  I received my Mimby yesterday, I started by connecting via optical to my motherboard.  It seemed to work fine with 24/192, but I noticed a popping sound when I started a song or when I skipped to different parts of the track.  Every time the audio started again there would be a pop/crackle.  I tried setting to 24/96 and the problem persisted.  I switched to USB, set to 24/192, and the problem was gone.  I'm guessing this is an issue with my motherboard's onboard optical (this is my motherboard) rather than an issue with the Mimby.  Just curious if anyone had experienced something similar.

Unrelated question:  When I plugged mimby in via USB, Windows 10 installed it automatically as Schiit USB Audio Gen 2.  The manual said that I needed to install drivers from schiit.com/drivers, but when I tried the driver installer it just said "please connect cmedia usb device" and the installer would exit.  It seems to work fine, just checking to see what the actual setup procedure is.

I had the same issue when using ASIO in foobar, so I switched to wasapi event and no more popping sounds :) I´m using optical input too

Windows 10 has now included the usb modi driver so there is no need to install manually, just plug it in and it will be ready to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back