Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 5, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #1,486 of 4,588
  Ancipital,

Have you listened to a HD650 using the mimby w/the Vali 2...is the combo sufficient?  With the upcoming Massdrop on the HD6XX, I will need an dac/amp combo that can drive this headphone. I was going to go w/the Jotunheim, but since the headphones won't come in for some time after I order them, I am hoping to find a used Vali 2 or other SS amp here @ HeadFi and then get a nice DAC like the modi to use this with my PC while saving a few bucks in the process.

I bought the Vali 2 the week it came out and used it until I got my Jotunheim.

For my HD650s I used the Vali 2 + Modi 2 Uber until the Mimby came out, then used Vali 2 + Mimby until Jotunheim came out, and now I use Jot + Mimby + Balanced HD650. The Vali 2 is no slouch and sounds fantastic. I recommend the Vali 2 any day. I'm keeping mine in the closet for when I get the tube itch again. However, I love high detail but hate bright headphones / emphasized treble, so the 650 + jot/mimby is my ideal combination.

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #1,487 of 4,588
I bought the Vali 2 the week it came out and used it until I got my Jotunheim.

For my HD650s I used the Vali 2 + Modi 2 Uber until the Mimby came out, then used Vali 2 + Mimby until Jotunheim came out, and now I use Jot + Mimby + Balanced HD650. The Vali 2 is no slouch and sounds fantastic. I recommend the Vali 2 any day. I'm keeping mine in the closet for when I get the tube itch again. However, I love high detail but hate bright headphones / emphasized treble, so the 650 + jot/mimby is my ideal combination.

Sounds like getting into Schiit results in serious upgradeitis lol!

I'm interested in the mimby/jot combo mainly for my Nighthawks. Tempting!

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #1,488 of 4,588
  Hey everyone,

Let’s start our product announcements this year with something really low…specifically, the lowest-cost advanced multibit DAC out there, by any manufacturer, from any country on the planet. Welcome to Modi Multibit. 

At only $249, you’d expect a super stripped-down DAC, right? Definitely not with our proprietary closed-form digital filter, and definitely not with a modern (not NOS or “pull”) DAC.

Well, we’re pleased to change your expectations. Modi Multibit runs a version of our own “comboburrito” filter on a powerful Analog Devices SHARC DSP, and couples it with an Analog Devices AD5547 D/A converter that’s spec’d down to 1/2 LSB. Together with three inputs—asynchronous USB 2.0, optical, and coax—it’s an extremely versatile DAC…and an extremely affordable way to try this whole “multibit thing” for yourself.

Modi Multibit press release: http://schiit.com/news/news/introducing-modi-multibit
Modi Multibit product page: http://schiit.com/products/modi-2
Modi Multibit chapter from Schiit Happened: http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/11670#post_12745837

The Modi Multibit is available now at schiit.com.

Enjoy!

Jason

Hi Jason at all,

sure my question is not new and been answered but I don't find it. I am the owner of a Modi 2 + Asgard 2 for my desktop setup around Windows 10 and mainly Tidal 16/44.1 and ocasionally FLAC 24/96. Now I want to replace my old Zhaolu D3 DAC connected to stereo amp Marantz PM17 KI Series and to Chario Lynn speakers, and looking for at least USB and optical (TOSLINK) inputs and RCA output. Both Modi Multibit and Bifrost Multibit are good options for me but not sure what I will receive for the $300 gap price of them.

I will be using same audio quality of Tidal 16/44.1 and FLAC 24/96 and mainly rock and jazz.
Could you please me help on which of two I should purchase? This DAC will not be connected to headphone amp, only to a stereo amp.

Thanks a lot.

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #1,489 of 4,588
I want to use my PQ1R as a server for an external DAC when at home (Schiit Mobi multibit DAC). I bought the cable shown below but not sure if it will work. I also don't know how to make the external DAC communicate with the QP1R via TOSLINK digital. Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #1,490 of 4,588
Tha DAC chips themselves will give a different output depending on the thermal state of the chips.  When I turned on my Mimby for the first time, sound came out as soon as it got done booting up.  The sound got better after it warmed up.  The difference in sound was because the DAC chip in Mimby was cold and did not put out accurate results.  When it got to operating temperature, it sounded better.

Suggestion for next update of Schiit's multibit DACs:
A warm-up indicator light :D

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #1,491 of 4,588
Suggestion for next update of Schiit's multibit DACs:
A warm-up indicator light
biggrin.gif

Problem is as soon as the light comes on there will be minute temperature gradients introduced and you will have to start all over again 
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #1,492 of 4,588

Hi Jason at all,

sure my question is not new and been answered but I don't find it. I am the owner of a Modi 2 + Asgard 2 for my desktop setup around Windows 10 and mainly Tidal 16/44.1 and ocasionally FLAC 24/96. Now I want to replace my old Zhaolu D3 DAC connected to stereo amp Marantz PM17 KI Series and to Chario Lynn speakers, and looking for at least USB and optical (TOSLINK) inputs and RCA output. Both Modi Multibit and Bifrost Multibit are good options for me but not sure what I will receive for the $300 gap price of them.

I will be using same audio quality of Tidal 16/44.1 and FLAC 24/96 and mainly rock and jazz.
Could you please me help on which of two I should purchase? This DAC will not be connected to headphone amp, only to a stereo amp.

Thanks a lot.

They are supposedly the same sound signatures. The difference is length of guarantee (5 yr vs 2 yr), no need to have a wall-wart on the Bimby, and the Bimby is upgradable while the Mimby is not. Some say there is a sound difference but Jason said there is not supposed to be.

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #1,493 of 4,588
Here's a great quote I found from the Jotunheim thread, most Jot owners like to bypass the built in dac for a multibit and the Mimby/Modi Multibit is the top pick:

Have not heard the Bimby but I did demo the Yggy and the difference between the
Mimby and Yggy was not huge, which says it all considering there is a $2,000 difference between the two. Mimby is amazing for the money.

I liked to joke to myself that I had a mini Yggdrasil with the multibit Mimby, but to hear it can hold its own in a direct comparison is epic! $2,000 epic.

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #1,495 of 4,588
So I'm really enjoying my Modi Multibit but I have encountered a strange electrical anomaly. When the unit is plugged into the wall in my house, it operates perfectly but it does get a little warm. When I moved the unit over to my office, I have noticed that the unit gets much warmer much more quickly but the weirder thing it that I can feel a very strange buzz/vibration/tingle when I run my hand over the unit. This feeling was not present at my house.

So what could be causing this? There doesn't seem to be a negative effect on sound quality. This seems to be some kind of power related thing. I'm not sure if its harmful to the unit but it is cause for concern regardless. Could this be a ground loop of some kind? Very strange, I have never felt anything like it before. My thought it that the brushed aluminum of the case is involved in some way. The reason for this is because I feel nothing when my hand is held in place on top of the case, I only feel this buzz when I move my hand but again, not every power outlet has this effect. The effect remains even when I unplug the Modi from its power source and it doesn't go away until the RCA's have been unplugged.

Very strange. I have asked Schiit about this, I'll see what they say.  

Also, does anyone else notice that their Modi Multibit gets really really hot? After about 10 min of use, the Modi gets about as hot as my old Magni Uber amp used to get. The old Modi Uber barely got warm after hours of use. I hear people talking about leaving the Momby on at all times but I don't think I would be comfortable with that given the temps. 

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #1,496 of 4,588
  I'm loving my Momby but I am wondering if there is any more sound quality that can be squeezed out of this thing.

Any recommendations for a Sub $150 usb to spdif converter or a usb decrapifier?

I'm just using a usb cable straight from my macbook air to the Momby. 

It sits nicely on top of the Schiit Wyred.

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #1,497 of 4,588
  ...When the unit is plugged into the wall in my house, it operates perfectly but it does get a little warm. When I moved the unit over to my office, I have noticed that the unit gets much warmer much more quickly but the weirder thing it that I can feel a very strange buzz/vibration/tingle when I run my hand over the unit. This feeling was not present at my house.

So what could be causing this? There doesn't seem to be a negative effect on sound quality. This seems to be some kind of power related thing. I'm not sure if its harmful to the unit but it is cause for concern regardless. Could this be a ground loop of some kind? Very strange, I have never felt anything like it before. My thought it that the brushed aluminum of the case is involved in some way. The reason for this is because I feel nothing when my hand is held in place on top of the case, I only feel this buzz when I move my hand but again, not every power outlet has this effect. The effect remains even when I unplug the Modi from its power source and it doesn't go away until the RCA's have been unplugged.

Warmth and physical buzzing can come from poor quality wall power affecting the power supply of the Mimby. Your office probably has heavy machinery on the same power circuit, anything with a big motor will distort the nice sine wave. It shouldn't hurt the Mimby if they designed it with enough filtering and you say there isn't any impact on sound quality so that's a good sign. As for only feeling it when you move your hand maybe it's a very small vibration and it's just easier to feel that way (but it should be a constant vibration).

The other possibility is it could be leaking AC, high voltage feels "tingly" like that if you don't have a good ground... and hurts when you do. I don't measure any voltage on the case of my Mimby or other Schiit and if you have a multimeter you can check too:
Set it to AC and touch one probe to the Mimby and the other to any bare metal on your computer chassis (ground), it should read less than 1V. You can check the quality of your ground by probing the wall outlet (small side), you won't read the full 120V unless you have a good ground. Also, you mentioned the tingling remained until the RCA's were removed so you might as well check the RCA contacts for voltage too.

I remember reaching in my fishtank as a kid for years feeling a weird tingle, then after learning a bit more one day I measured and found the fluorescent lights were leaking a cool 40V!

Also, does anyone else notice that their Modi Multibit gets really really hot? After about 10 min of use, the Modi gets about as hot as my old Magni Uber amp used to get.

Yup, that part is normal, warmer than the old Modi 2U for sure. But for best sound you really want to leave it on 24/7 or let it warm up 3hr before use.

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #1,498 of 4,588
I want to use my PQ1R as a server for an external DAC when at home (Schiit Mobi multibit DAC). I bought the cable shown below but not sure if it will work. I also don't know how to make the external DAC communicate with the QP1R via TOSLINK digital. Any help would be appreciated.

Not familiar with the QP1R but a google search and their website says   "Output: 3.5MM headphone output, 3.5MM line out and optical output"

Seems like you have the correct cable in that picture to bypass the QP1R's internal DAC and send digital output directly to the Modi Multibit or Mimby.   

Nov 9, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,500 of 4,588
Hello Everyone!

After reading this and some other threads I decided to buy the Schiit Modi Multibit as my first quality DAC. I've got a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm headphone recently and would like to know your input about the amp I should get for this chain: Should I go with Magni 2 Uber or Vali 2? Not sure which one would pair well with the Beyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back