Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 9, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #1,501 of 4,588
  Hello Everyone!

After reading this and some other threads I decided to buy the Schiit Modi Multibit as my first quality DAC. I've got a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm headphone recently and would like to know your input about the amp I should get for this chain: Should I go with Magni 2 Uber or Vali 2? Not sure which one would pair well with the Beyer.

I recommend the Vali 2 to smooth out that Beyer treble. 

Nov 9, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #1,502 of 4,588
  Hello Everyone!

After reading this and some other threads I decided to buy the Schiit Modi Multibit as my first quality DAC. I've got a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm headphone recently and would like to know your input about the amp I should get for this chain: Should I go with Magni 2 Uber or Vali 2? Not sure which one would pair well with the Beyer.

I recommend the Vali 2 to smooth out that Beyer treble. 

Yes the Vali 2.  I have both amps and Beyerdynamic DT 770 250Ohm, DT 990 250Ohm, DT 1770 & T90,  OK with Magni 2 Uber but much better with Vali 2.  A bit of tube rolling = good synergy.  DT770/990 are a great match.

r2

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #1,503 of 4,588
r2muchstuff and RickB: Thank you for the help, Gentlemen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #1,504 of 4,588
Ok,

Starting to save for my Mimby, not much of an issue since the Massdrop HD650s wont show up until Xmas, most likely. So, for now I will buy the Vali 2--or try to find a used one, but I want to pair it w/my Audioquest Dragonfly Black 1.5.  Would a 3.5mm to RCA cable from the Dragonfly to the  L/R input on the Vali 2 do the trick?   Has anyone tried this combination, with either the Dragonfly Red or Black?

Nov 10, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #1,505 of 4,588
  Ok,

Starting to save for my Mimby, not much of an issue since the Massdrop HD650s wont show up until Xmas, most likely. So, for now I will buy the Vali 2--or try to find a used one, but I want to pair it w/my Audioquest Dragonfly Black 1.5.  Would a 3.5mm to RCA cable from the Dragonfly to the  L/R input on the Vali 2 do the trick?   Has anyone tried this combination, with either the Dragonfly Red or Black?

Yes, that would work, but no, I haven't personally tried the Dragonfly.

I have used similar adapters to directly hook my phone up to my amp and such before though; works fine.

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #1,506 of 4,588
hi guys, finally I got my modi multibit through optical connection, Im very impressed with sound quality, but I have a little concern, is that normal this thing gets hot? should I turn it off by nights?

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #1,507 of 4,588
  hi guys, finally I got my modi multibit through optical connection, Im very impressed with sound quality, but I have a little concern, is that normal this thing gets hot? should I turn it off by nights?

Yes, it's normal for it to get very warm. It sounds its best when warmed up, so most people leave it on all the time. Might be a good idea to turn it off if you go away for an extended period like a vacation, though. 

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #1,508 of 4,588
  Yes, it's normal for it to get very warm. It sounds its best when warmed up, so most people leave it on all the time. Might be a good idea to turn it off if you go away for an extended period like a vacation, though. 

Does the Wyrd improve the Modi?

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #1,510 of 4,588
So I got myself a multibit, and it does not show up on the system preferences. On a Mac running MacOS Sierra. Its connected via USB to a Wyrd and then to the Modi. Any advice?

Nov 12, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #1,511 of 4,588
  So I got myself a multibit, and it does not show up on the system preferences. On a Mac running MacOS Sierra. Its connected via USB to a Wyrd and then to the Modi. Any advice?

Are both lights on the Wyrd on?

It has been a while since I used my Wyrd. But as I recall, such as with my Meridian DAC that was entirely powered by the Wyrd, the lights would not come on until my DAC was connected to USB for audio. The Meridian could use USB or S/PDIF and the lights indicated to me which source I had selected. The lights on the Wyrd were helpful to debug.

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #1,512 of 4,588
  Are both lights on the Wyrd on?

It has been a while since I used my Wyrd. But as I recall, such as with my Meridian DAC that was entirely powered by the Wyrd, the lights would not come on until my DAC was connected to USB for audio. The Meridian could use USB or S/PDIF and the lights indicated to me which source I had selected. The lights on the Wyrd were helpful to debug.

Both lights are on on the Wyrd. It recognised the Modi for a few minutes and then it went off. I tried connecting via USB directly and through the Wyrd, still no luck. I was thinking maybe its a USB power issue. I've got an 2011 iMac that has 4 USB 2 ports and they are all in use. 1 uses a wall powered USB hard drive, another uses a USB powered back up hard drive, the third i usually use for my DAC and the 4th is my printer/scanner. Tried various ports as well. What do the 2 lights on the Wyrd mean anyway?

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #1,513 of 4,588

Both lights are on on the Wyrd. It recognised the Modi for a few minutes and then it went off. I tried connecting via USB directly and through the Wyrd, still no luck. I was thinking maybe its a USB power issue. I've got an 2011 iMac that has 4 USB 2 ports and they are all in use. 1 uses a wall powered USB hard drive, another uses a USB powered back up hard drive, the third i usually use for my DAC and the 4th is my printer/scanner. Tried various ports as well. What do the 2 lights on the Wyrd mean anyway?

According to the manual, the left light indicates the Wyrd is on. The right light indicates it sees the DAC.

The Wyrd definitely should have solved any USB power issues - read about other people solving issues (and noise) via Wyrd. Can you try to unplug all your other devices and use just the Modi directly from your Mac computer, while nothing else is on the USB?

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #1,514 of 4,588
  According to the manual, the left light indicates the Wyrd is on. The right light indicates it sees the DAC.

The Wyrd definitely should have solved any USB power issues - read about other people solving issues (and noise) via Wyrd. Can you try to unplug all your other devices and use just the Modi directly from your Mac computer, while nothing else is on the USB?

So I unplugged everything else and restarted, and it now sees the Modi. Will report back if I have any issues. Thank you so much for the real-time trouble shooting haha!

Nov 13, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #1,515 of 4,588
If I'm listening to Tidal Hifi, what should I have the output sample rate to, right now I have it at 44.1KHz, I do get the occasional skip when I play back. Any advice?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back