Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Oct 5, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #1,336 of 4,588
  Quick question for foobar2000 users:

Do you guys use ASIO driver for music playback or do you just leave the dac to deal with the windows sound mixer? as a good audiophile I am I like the idea of 'bit perfect audio' to try to get the best possible audio quality from my dac but I just found out this below sentence a little concerning about the ASIO component for foobar2000 and I thinking about it

Besides low latency ASIO provides is there any other real benefit in terms of sound quality these days to use ASIO? do you use ASIO with your schiit dac? 

Yep. I use ASIO for my Spotify Streams

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #1,337 of 4,588
First off it must be said that what Schiit has achieved with the Mimby is nothing short of astonishing. A $250 DAC that has 90% of the performance of the now legendary (and much larger in size) $2,200 Yggdrasil. It made me appreciate just how special and game changing the Mimby is.

It really is a very nice unit for the money. People in the market for a desktop DAC, who aren't looking at spending big money should absolutely tear their arm off. It's a small, modest-looking DAC for a modest price, but packs a hell of a lot of performance in.. Yes, the button can sometimes rattle. Yes, it's a bit of bent aluminium on the outside.. but frankly, look at where the money has gone- it's reliable and sounds great.

Putting it in a huge audiophool case and charging four times the price wouldn't make it sound any better- I love the way Schiit segment and price their stuff based on actual spec and capability.

(That's not to say that I wouldn't accept a free Yggy if someone else is paying!)

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,338 of 4,588
Something weird has just happened in my system.

I am running a CD player into the Modi multibit via coax, which is feeding the Jotunheim.

Everything was fine until I put in a classical CD and when the music started there was a persistent ringing in the left channel.  The ringing would rise and fall depending on the loudness of the music, and it came mostly during higher pitched stuff.

Thinking it was my headphones, I plugged them into another source and played a variety of music and there was no ringing.  So it was not the headphones.

Trying to isolate the problem, I played some more CDs in the original setup and the ringing started happening mostly on classical CDs, but would occasionally be heard on a pop album.  So I disconnected the Modi from the CD player and plugged it into my laptop via USB cable.  Played some music from youtube and the ringing was still there, so I knew it wasn't my CD player.

Then I plugged Modi back into the CD player, then Modi into a different amp to see if it was the Jotunheim doing it.  I heard the same ringing in the second amp, so it was not the Jotunheim.  It had to be the Modi since it was the only thing that didn't change.

So I simply turned Mimby off and back on again.  No more ringing.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Had similar issue when I have changed USB source on the go. Turn it off and on resolved the issue

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #1,339 of 4,588
Had similar issue when I have changed USB source on the go. Turn it off and on resolved the issue

Interesting. I actually did disconnect the coax cable to take my CD player to the guys house to demo his Yggy and other gear, and the next day is when it had the issue. So maybe disconnecting and reconnecting has something to do with it?

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #1,340 of 4,588
  Quick question for foobar2000 users:

Do you guys use ASIO driver for music playback or do you just leave the dac to deal with the windows sound mixer? as a good audiophile I am I like the idea of 'bit perfect audio' to try to get the best possible audio quality from my dac but I just found out this below sentence a little concerning about the ASIO component for foobar2000 and I thinking about it

Besides low latency ASIO provides is there any other real benefit in terms of sound quality these days to use ASIO? do you use ASIO with your schiit dac? 

WASAPI is the way to go.

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #1,341 of 4,588

Putting it in a huge audiophool case and charging four times the price wouldn't make it sound any better.

Don't be to sure about that ! I don't mean Schitt doing that, I just mean expectation bias....

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #1,344 of 4,588

By the same token, I would be afraid of expectation bias if the DAC doesn't say Schiit MB on it and I'm fooled into not hearing a difference, when an audible difference is there... :)

blink.gif

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #1,348 of 4,588
  I'm curious, will this dac work with a usb cable that has had the power pin removed?

No.
I believe the Modi 4490 is the only Schiit DAC that does not draw power from the USB source. The power from the USB source is used to power the input receiver.

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #1,350 of 4,588
Something interesting- my batteries died in my JDS Labs Cmoy, and I happened to have a RCA to 3.5mm Female adapter cable on hand.

I plugged my Meze Audio 99 Classic Headphones directly into the DAC, and the DAC alone easily drives the headphones to louder levels that I never use! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back