Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Oct 4, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #1,322 of 4,588
Should I get a MODI MB + Magni 2 Uber or a Jotinheim with balanced DAC (I don't care about the passive phono)?

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #1,323 of 4,588
I guess some comments were "[REDACTED]". All I saw at the bottom of the previous page was what looked like an incomplete ellipses, but then on this page I got a sense on this page of what transpired. That's too bad. Before we all pile on the shame train though, I feel personal reflection is ultimately far more constructive (ie., "when have I ever done or said something that resulted in someone feeling hurt or undermined in some way"). I happen to have noticed on another Schiit-related thread very recently, a much more subtle example of belittlement/projection, but there I go not following my own advice.

Back to the task at hand though, this DAC truly is unreal for the money. I feel joins the Vali 2 and (presumably) the Jotunheim in the trifecta of "holy crap this has gotta be among the best audio reproducin' stuff on the planet for the money". I do miss the Gungnir Multibit though. Now THAT was something.

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #1,325 of 4,588
By the way, I think the 800 is a great headphone IF YOU DONT HEAR ANYTHING ELSE. But once you start comparing it to other HPs its shortcomings become glaringly obvious. The 800S is proof that the 800 is flawed and needed fixing.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #1,326 of 4,588
By the way, I think the 800 is a great headphone IF YOU DONT HEAR ANYTHING ELSE. But once you start comparing it to other HPs its shortcomings become glaringly obvious. The 800S is proof that the 800 is flawed and needed fixing.

I would be interested in greater elaboration of your opinion between 800 and 800S.

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #1,327 of 4,588
I would be interested in greater elaboration of your opinion between 800 and 800S.

Sure. Its interesting because I used to fantasize about owning the 800. I demoed them a while back and liked them alot. They were my dream can. And all the hype and reputation spoke for itself.

But everyone must understand hype is not your friend and you may not like a HP as much as you think you do.

The gentlemen who was kind enough to let me demo his gear (Yggy, Ragnarok, Black Widow, HD800+800S, HiFi Man HE-560) had a balanced and single ended cable for both 800s which was great because I got to hear them both at their full potential.

The 800 was not as great as I remember since I had gotten a Beyer T90 after I demoed them. When I demoed the 800 I had an HD600 so had never heard a high end TOTL can before, so I was a lot more naive and easily impressed. After owning the wonderful T90 for a while before I demoed the 800 again, I was not as impressed. I was even a little let down.

The 800 has a dip in the upper mids that was very distracting. This would not be a huge problem if it also didn't have a mid bass hump and peaky treble. This makes a rollercoaster ride frequency reponse that sounds weird to me. It is as if the potential of the 800 is being held back. Remember I am comparing to my T90 which is ultra clear and detailed, so switching back and forth between the two was eye opening. I would hear detail on the T90 that I had been missing on the 800. This was apparent in all the tracks I demoed (Frank Sinatra, Jimi Hendrix, Star Wars, Mozart's Requiem). The 800 was great at presenting an arresting soundstage that placed instruments and voices in a cool virtual space. It was almost like a magic trick. The 800 offers a ton of detail, it is just buried in the recessed mids and the mid bass hump slightly muddies up the tone. This was only glaringly obvious when I would switch back to the T90, which does not have these shortcomings. The T90s problem is its overeager treble but this is only a problem with brightly mastered pop music I find, and I don't listen to that much. But the T90 does not have the soundstage capabilities of the 800. When I used the balanced cable with the 800, these problems did not totally go away, but they were greatly reduced. If I were to get an 800, I would absolutely need a balanced cable for it.

Now the 800S was...interesting. It was a lot smoother sounding, with a warmer tone that fixed the slightly sterile nature of the 800 (I think people who call the 800 sterile, boring, cold, etc are slightly exaggerating). From what I remember the 800S did not seem to have the recessed mids and mid bass hump...at least that's not how it sounded. It sounded a lot more balanced and more "fun"...a more refined version of the 800. The 800S balanced was AMAZING...it was probably the best sound I'd ever heard. I walked away disappointed in the 800 but TOTALLY wanting an 800S. It was definitely worth the money. I just wish I could afford it at the moment. I will have to save for it.

These are just my opinions. YMMV.

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #1,329 of 4,588
Today I had the pleasure of hearing the Yggdrasil. While I did not have my Mimby on hand to directly A/B compare, I was able to get a very clear idea of the differences after several hours with the Yggy.

The gentleman had several amps on deck (Black Widow, Ragnarok, Bottle Crack+Speedball, Bottlehead Mainline), I listened mostly through my Jotunheim.

First off it must be said that what Schiit has achieved with the Mimby is nothing short of astonishing. A $250 DAC that has 90% of the performance of the now legendary (and much larger in size) $2,200 Yggdrasil. It made me appreciate just how special and game changing the Mimby is.

Yes, the two DACs are remarkably close in performance. The biggest difference I'd say is that Yggy has a meatier sound to it. It has more meat on the bones so to speak. I also realized how dead neutral Mimby is. Yggy sounded ever so slightly warmer. That warmth makes Yggy a bit more engaging and more euphonic.

On the subtler side of things, Yggy has a bit more resolution and detail but its a subtle difference. There is a bit more "snap" and pizazz to Yggy. Yggy also has a bit better sound stage presentation and placement of instruments/voices. These differences are so subtle, they are almost trivial and work in Mimby's favor since it is only $250.

Yggy had a bit better bass and slam factor as well, but again, subtle.

I would almost tell people who are thinking about getting a Yggy to get a Mimnby instead and put the money they saved toward a much better headphone (Focal Utopia?) because it will make a much bigger difference.

Yes, mimby is unbelievable DAC. I like it more than Chord Hugo DAC

Oct 5, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #1,330 of 4,588
Something weird has just happened in my system.

I am running a CD player into the Modi multibit via coax, which is feeding the Jotunheim.

Everything was fine until I put in a classical CD and when the music started there was a persistent ringing in the left channel.  The ringing would rise and fall depending on the loudness of the music, and it came mostly during higher pitched stuff.

Thinking it was my headphones, I plugged them into another source and played a variety of music and there was no ringing.  So it was not the headphones.

Trying to isolate the problem, I played some more CDs in the original setup and the ringing started happening mostly on classical CDs, but would occasionally be heard on a pop album.  So I disconnected the Modi from the CD player and plugged it into my laptop via USB cable.  Played some music from youtube and the ringing was still there, so I knew it wasn't my CD player.

Then I plugged Modi back into the CD player, then Modi into a different amp to see if it was the Jotunheim doing it.  I heard the same ringing in the second amp, so it was not the Jotunheim.  It had to be the Modi since it was the only thing that didn't change.

So I simply turned Mimby off and back on again.  No more ringing.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #1,331 of 4,588

I am running a CD player into the Modi multibit via coax, which is feeding the Jotunheim.

Everything was fine until I put in a classical CD and when the music started there was a persistent ringing in the left channel.  The ringing would rise and fall depending on the loudness of the music, and it came mostly during higher pitched stuff.

Thinking it was my headphones, I plugged them into another source and played a variety of music and there was no ringing.  So it was not the headphones.

Trying to isolate the problem, I played some more CDs in the original setup and the ringing started happening mostly on classical CDs, but would occasionally be heard on a pop album.  So I disconnected the Modi from the CD player and plugged it into my laptop via USB cable.  Played some music from youtube and the ringing was still there, so I knew it wasn't my CD player.

Then I plugged Modi back into the CD player, then Modi into a different amp to see if it was the Jotunheim doing it.  I heard the same ringing in the second amp, so it was not the Jotunheim.  It had to be the Modi since it was the only thing that didn't change.

So I simply turned Mimby off and back on again.  No more ringing.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Nope. Good deductive reasoning. I guess resetting the Modi MB, or any DAC for that matter, periodically is a good idea.

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #1,332 of 4,588

I have not.
But I have definitely read of people having odd sound output from their DAC, which was fixed via restart.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #1,334 of 4,588

Not yet.

Sounds like oscillation. I would contact Schiit. It should not do that...

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #1,335 of 4,588
Quick question for foobar2000 users:

Do you guys use ASIO driver for music playback or do you just leave the dac to deal with the windows sound mixer? as a good audiophile I am I like the idea of 'bit perfect audio' to try to get the best possible audio quality from my dac but I just found out this below sentence a little concerning about the ASIO component for foobar2000 and I thinking about it

Besides low latency ASIO provides is there any other real benefit in terms of sound quality these days to use ASIO? do you use ASIO with your schiit dac? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back