Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 26, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #811 of 4,588
I am not as impressed with USB on Schiit DACs. The Yggdrasil sounds much better via SPDIF. The drop in performance is really not subtle. I tried the same experiment with a Gustard x12 and the performance drop was minimal. Try a different source before comitting to an outboard USB to SPDIF converter. I suggest a DVD player you have lying around via SPDIF connection.

I wish I would have known that when I had it. Most DACs only play high res through USB so I'm used to using it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to listen to it again through optical or spdif. How much of a difference does it make?

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #812 of 4,588
I wish I would have known that when I had it. Most DACs only play high res through USB so I'm used to using it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to listen to it again through optical or spdif. How much of a difference does it make?

Obviously I am not a professional reviewer, but I can relate what I did and my reaction.

System:
Source: HiFiBerry Digi+ in SPDIF mode and USB mode. Running Picoreplayer 2.04 on Raspberry pi 2 B.
Backend: Vortexbox 2.3 on intel i7 (overkill, I know, but salvaged from broken laptop )
DAC: Yggdrasil
Preamp: Pass X1
Amp: Pass X150
Speakers: Martin Logan Vista
Interconnect: Audquest Topaz XLR
Cables: Audioquest GR8

Played Kodo's Jang Gwara. This piece is complex, fast and high energy. If something is going to smear, this track will show it. It took about 30 seconds of each sample to determine that SPDIF was better at getting rid of the wall of sound and place the instruments where they belonged. The imaging was much better. The timbre was only slightly better.

Hope that helps.

Aug 26, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #813 of 4,588
@Baldr - About the recommendation to keep Modi MB running - 'warming up' means that the SHARC processor is constantly running a numerical analysis method which is improving over time (in the case of Modi - it needs around 2 hours to 'stabilize') , i.e. it doesn't have something to do with actual temperature, right? Or I'm getting this all wrong?

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #814 of 4,588
Off topic for this thread but I'm surprised by impressions of Yggy as muddy. No problems at all in my case. To the contrary, all genres of music including classical show amazing separation, detail and texture. Some tracks - é.g. From Radiohead's King of Limbs album - reveal layers I never heard before. Overall, differences range from subtle to profound compared to other dacs I have to hand.

I play classical piano and have never before heard piano reproduced so realistically and naturally. I found myself unconsciously moving the muscles of my fingers. That level of immersion never happened before.

Disclaimer: I have not heard Dave. I suppose it's possible it is so much better than Yggy I would hear the latter as muddy.

All I know is the modi multibit doesn't seem muddy at all. In fact, it's one of the things I like about it as opposed to the concero HD, is how it handles the bass. Makes a bass guitar sound like a bass guitar for one thing. Then again, I have a very limited background, I haven't heard bimby, gumby, yggy or dave. Just the modi multibit, and it's one great little unit in my opinion. So I would assume Yggy would do it better!

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #815 of 4,588
  It's just weird because I've never noticed a huge change with the Modi Uber, being warmed up or not.  But the Multi seems to be getting much better... Actually starting to really like it now, when I thought I was going to have to send it back at first.  I've heard a few tracks that never sounded better.  Just such a huge change in a couple hours. 

Anyone buying  - let it warm up a few hours first!!!!  Literally, night and day difference.  

d/s aren't as sensitive to temp as multibit r2r. I didn't believe it but I noticed that my dac sounded just a touch dull when i first powered it up, had to do some house work came back 3 hours later and there was quite a bit of improvement on the same song. Left it on overnight (was burning in some other phones) and plugged in my reference phones and the thing sounded beautiful... much of the improvement came after the 3 hours and just a bit more after a day or so. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #816 of 4,588
Obviously I am not a professional reviewer, but I can relate what I did and my reaction.

System:
Source: HiFiBerry Digi+ in SPDIF mode and USB mode. Running Picoreplayer 2.04 on Raspberry pi 2 B.
Backend: Vortexbox 2.3 on intel i7 (overkill, I know, but salvaged from broken laptop )
DAC: Yggdrasil
Preamp: Pass X1
Amp: Pass X150
Speakers: Martin Logan Vista
Interconnect: Audquest Topaz XLR
Cables: Audioquest GR8

Played Kodo's Jang Gwara. This piece is complex, fast and high energy. If something is going to smear, this track will show it. It took about 30 seconds of each sample to determine that SPDIF was better at getting rid of the wall of sound and place the instruments where they belonged. The imaging was much better. The timbre was only slightly better.

Hope that helps.

Do you think a device like the Wyrd would negate these differences, or do you find the sound quality issue to be linked to USB, with no way to overcome the negatives?

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #817 of 4,588
Do you think a device like the Wyrd would negate these differences, or do you find the sound quality issue to be linked to USB, with no way to overcome the negatives?

I have not tried Wyrd, but other DACs that I have tried do not seem as sensative to the USB vs SPDIF issue.

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #819 of 4,588
Usb is Mike Moffat's least preferred for sure. Interestingly, my Yggy comments are with the coax spdif input. I haven't tried usb.

On another topic 24 hours is Mike's recommended warm-up time for modi mb iirc

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #820 of 4,588
Most transports with USB interface are subpar compared to SPDIF. An excellent USB transport/source such as mRendu can sound just as good or better than ordinary transport/source with SPDIF coax output.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #821 of 4,588

I used USB for some time with a wyrd, in two different setups actually. I went Coax using a Similar RPI Digi+ setup as Koshnaranek.. I have two wyrds that are Idle now. Are the Wyrds bad? nope. I just found they made usb sound better but from my findings Mikes thoughts about USB audio is true, If I can avoid USB I will now. It works but SPDIF is better. Get a good Cable and that's it no special boxes or other wizardry.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #822 of 4,588
  I used USB for some time with a wyrd, in two different setups actually. I went Coax using a Similar RPI Digi+ setup as Koshnaranek.. I have two wyrds that are Idle now. Are the Wyrds bad? nope. I just found they made usb sound better but from my findings Mikes thoughts about USB audio is true, If I can avoid USB I will now. It works but SPDIF is better. Get a good Cable and that's it no special boxes or other wizardry.

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify, is the SPDIF advantage also seen when coming off a PC motherboard, or is it only readily apparent when using a stand alone player?

Sorry for the stupid questions.
redface.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #823 of 4,588
Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify, is the SPDIF advantage also seen when coming off a PC motherboard, or is it only readily apparent when using a stand alone player?

Sorry for the stupid questions. :xf_eek:

I was just thinking about that, too. Alas, my laptop does not have spdif output so I'm thinking to get a USB to spdif converter.

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #825 of 4,588
I've been thinking about the peach tree X1 for my modi multibit. Mind you, I currently utilize a generic USB cable which I have borrowed from my external DVD drive and the sound I get is more than satisfactory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back