Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 28, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #842 of 4,588

I am having trouble with Mimby/Moby USB via picoreplayer as well. Same issue. Works sometimes. I think it may have something to do with the auto port selection on it. Is there a way to force Moby to stick to the assigned port?

Use a USB to coax converter and Mimby will always be on coax input.

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #845 of 4,588

It's strange because Robb watt from chord recommends USB connection, so does Linn, naim and meridian. They state USB is more isolated and uses the timing from the DAC so it more accurate. So I found it strange with schiit everyone recommends the opposite.

That's because Schiit's first USB module literally sounds inferior to the Coax input. However, this has been fixed with their USB Gen 2 and USB Gen 3 module. Also the USB tech before didn't have asynchronous and galvanic isolation leading to brittle sound compared the Coax's natural sound.

Some users are nitpicky with the DAC input so the USB stigma is still very broad. IMO, today's USB implementation is just as good as Coax and maybe even more transparent than Coax. However, regardless of coax, optical or USB input, linear power supply, transport and cables to a lesser degree play a noticeable role in the system. A crappy transport will always result in suboptimal sound regardless if the input is AES/EBU, coax, USB or optical.

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #847 of 4,588
I will say I've owned 3 Schiit DACs Modi2U, Bifrost 4490, and a Modi MB, and every one of them has had some sort of issue via USB, using a Mac Pro, iMac, and a Macbook Air. I definitely stay away from USB, optical works the best for me. I have not tried putting a powered USB hub in the middle, I've read this will fix most of the issues. 

And I've had modi 2u and went to mimby and had 0 problems with either. Not even one. 2014 MacBook Pro retina.

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #848 of 4,588
It's strange because Robb watt from chord recommends USB connection, so does Linn, naim and meridian. They state USB is more isolated and uses the timing from the DAC so it more accurate. So I found it strange with schiit everyone recommends the opposite.

Schiit also offers the Wyrd which offers USB "decrapification". It lowers the noise floor and has a linear power supply.

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #852 of 4,588
Schiit also offers the Wyrd which offers USB "decrapification". It lowers the noise floor and has a linear power supply.

USB is more isolated so it shouldn't have a niose floor, the niose would come from the DAC conversion or power supply on either end, does this just isolate the information from its power supply? Most better DACs would have that built into them. So I guess it's separate with schiit?

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #853 of 4,588
Ok I've been A/Bing the same songs with spdif vs usb for about four hours now and really can't tell the difference. If anything the optical sounds 0.01% smoother and that's really splicing atoms here.

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #854 of 4,588
USB is more isolated so it shouldn't have a niose floor, the niose would come from the DAC conversion or power supply on either end, does this just isolate the information from its power supply? Most better DACs would have that built into them. So I guess it's separate with schiit?

The wyrd is more for the non-Uber magni, which is USB bus powered. It isn't really necessary for any of heir other products. That doesn't stop people from buying it for Schiit's other products, because you know audiophiles.

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #855 of 4,588
There is no reason to debate about PC or MAC. If you want to hear full potential of your DAC keep away from computers. Computers will never sound good and it is weakest link in your chain. Source component is the most important component of them all. If you want to hear what your DAC can sound like buy good streamer. Buy Sonore microRendu + Small Green Computer microJukebox and be done with that. DACs will come and go, but good source component will stay and you will never want to go back to PC or MAC for music reproduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back