Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 17, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #631 of 4,588
Hey kids--what are people using as a good RCA interconnect that's short, would be combining the modi multibit with the vali...

Short meaning (obviously) like six inches. This will be on my bedside table.

Thx in advance :)

Not 6 inch but still small enough for a bed stand (I know, I have them there) and incredible value for money are the cables from blue jeans.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #632 of 4,588
As long as it is integer oversampling (44.1 = 88.2, 176.4, etc  -  48 = 96, 192, etc), then there shouldn't be any degradation to the original samples.

99.99% of all delta-sigma DACs natively run at 4-6 bits.  This (and a few other tricks) helps to greatly reduce the massive amount of quantization noise that a pure 1-bit DAC would otherwise generate (which is one of the reasons why DSD became so controversial).  And whatever noise does remain is removed with digital &/or analog filters, which have various impacts on the overall SQ.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #633 of 4,588
The bridges and falls line is relatively thin and light. Much lighter and flexible than traditional AQ. I've used them with the modi / magni and they worked well. Not close to causing M / M stack to tip. Also won't prevent the stack from sitting flat like stiffer cables can.

Also, b/c they are so flexible they will not straight out 0.3 m, they can be tucked in relatively close to the back of the M / M.

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #634 of 4,588
Thx everyone for the responses. Will be setting this one up and trying a few plug/play Roon endpoints as well as some more DIY solutions like the nanopi neo. This and waiting for the new Ether Flows to arrive at the abode hopefully by the end of the month. Hoping to get The Roon lossless button to light up and flow through the Schiit and into the Flows. :)

Edit to also say: with all the chit-chat around page 17 vis a vis signal:

(Full disclosure, have had hearing tested after a diving injury and I've lost about 3-4K high frequency on the right, and am -intimately- familiar with the physics of the inner ear as a physician trained in ear barotrauma)

I can clearly hear the difference with my reference headphones (Beyer T1 mods) and the bifrost multibit compared to my delta sigma dacs, like the dragonfly red (which I LOVE) or the Geek out V2. That is to say, I think there is something to this multibit shenanigans and I'm excited to try the modi with the new ether flows.

I'm listening now to the HDTracks 192khz version of Coldplay's "A Rush of Blood to the Head." Specifically, with the Bifrost multibit I'm hearing, for the first time, the pitch of the kick drums and cymbals coming across as an actual pitch, which I think is in the key of A. I am guessing that the modi will be more of the same, and am very much looking forward to it.

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #635 of 4,588
I will stick to your emotiva if you are using DSD or any high bitrate music files.

Advantage or rather magic of mimby is it's transformation of 16/44.1 into thier accurate secret comboburitos.

It will be a plus for those using online music streaming service like me:)

The Emotiva does not do DSD either, but for me it's a moot point as I have zero DSD discs or files.
biggrin.gif

The Emo does do higher bit rates though, and I have a handful of high res music. Literally, less than 5, so even that is not really a big deal to me. My main interest in getting a Mimby is to see what the burrito filter is all about, and to see if it is a higher resolution DAC vs my DC-1. By higher resolution, I mean more resolving of detail in the music...not more "bits", if that makes sense.

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #636 of 4,588

I will stick to your emotiva if you are using DSD or any high bitrate music files.

Advantage or rather magic of mimby is it's transformation of 16/44.1 into thier accurate secret comboburitos.

It will be a plus for those using online music streaming service like me:)

I've often read that Schiit's filter works best with 16/44.1 music (as you've mentioned above).

I take it this means that the filter isn't so magical with high bitrate files or other non-Redbook music? So in the case of such files, how well does Mimby compare to other D-S DACs?

First, unless the file is 192khz, the Burrito Filter will still be in play.

But, even if the file is 24/192, there is still a significant difference between Multibit and Delta-Sigma DACs.  How much of a difference is dependent on the other DAC's performance, of course, so you can only really ascertain it by listening.

I think that with 16-bit/44.1khz, the improvement over DACs is greatest, and most music is 16/44.1, so the Burrito Filter is a bigger factor.

Remember that the Burrito Filter does not do anything magical - it does not add anything to the original data - it just uses more advanced math to avoid changing the original data.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #637 of 4,588
Hey kids--what are people using as a good RCA interconnect that's short, would be combining the modi multibit with the vali...

Thx in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know if you have seen this bridge, should work for modi/vali
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Bridge-Rigid-Cross-Connect-for-the-Schiit-Magni-Modi-Stack-/112098432985?hash=item1a199657d9:g:ZZsAAOSwneRXRVH0

haven't tried it myself as I have a modi and a polaris amp, but looks cool

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #638 of 4,588

Thx in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know if you have seen this bridge, should work for modi/vali
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Bridge-Rigid-Cross-Connect-for-the-Schiit-Magni-Modi-Stack-/112098432985?hash=item1a199657d9:g:ZZsAAOSwneRXRVH0

haven't tried it myself as I have a modi and a polaris amp, but looks cool

I've seen this bridge and I'm wondering, wouldn't this be unshielded and risk catching radio interference? I'm pretty sure most of the high quality cable options are shielded.

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #640 of 4,588
First, unless the file is 192khz, the Burrito Filter will still be in play.

But, even if the file is 24/192, there is still a significant difference between Multibit and Delta-Sigma DACs.  How much of a difference is dependent on the other DAC's performance, of course, so you can only really ascertain it by listening.

I think that with 16-bit/44.1khz, the improvement over DACs is greatest, and most music is 16/44.1, so the Burrito Filter is a bigger factor.

Remember that the Burrito Filter does not do anything magical - it does not add anything to the original data - it just uses more advanced math to avoid changing the original data.

Ok schiit is a better mathematician at it, not magician:)

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #641 of 4,588
Originally Posted by kstuart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...- it does not add anything to the original data - it just uses more advanced math to avoid changing the original data.

I think the "advanced maths" is there to do a (much) better job than linear interpolation - which would be a dead easy way of upsampling without losing the original data.

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #644 of 4,588
  Is the back ground noise of Modi Multibit audible with headphones? It's an important factor for me.

as far as I can tell it is dead silent

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #645 of 4,588
I was just wondering, I have a Fostex TH-600 and a Schiit Vali without any DAC, would it be worth it going for the new Multibit? Or would the normal Modi suffice? Is there a (noticable) difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back