Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 6, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #406 of 4,588
I was intending to upgrade to audiogd DAC19 NOS which will set me around US$1000 inclu shipping and options matching the C2 amp i have now with acss connection.knowing that i will not be getting the latest xmos chip in it.

Mimby came along and with the well proven Xmos F1 XU208 USB bridge now with its own casing from singxer.

Doing the math i could save ar 1/2 K. This will channel the fund to upgrade to Elear if its suit me later.

Interesting. I have the Bifrost Uber and was considering upgrading to the Bimby. Reading about the Mimby, It sounds like the Mimby comes very close to the performance of the Bimby and is actually more neutral and betters it in the bass. I would think the Mimby / Xmos F1 XU208 combo may be the best combo on the market right now for the cheap and should better the Bimby when used solo. Let me know your thoughts on this combo and if you have compared the Mimby to any other dacs with the F1. I am leaning towards the same path you have chosen! Thanks!

Aug 6, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #407 of 4,588
Interesting. I have the Bifrost Uber and was considering upgrading to the Bimby. Reading about the Mimby, It sounds like the Mimby comes very close to the performance of the Bimby and is actually more neutral and betters it in the bass. I would think the Mimby / Xmos F1 XU208 combo may be the best combo on the market right now for the cheap and should better the Bimby when used solo. Let me know your thoughts on this combo and if you have compared the Mimby to any other dacs with the F1. I am leaning towards the same path you have chosen! Thanks!

The bimby will still have a cleaner power thus a lower noise floor i guess. I will putting an ifi dc ipurifier to mimby later when i bring to my ifi dealer to test it out.

Mimby is non upgradable so having an external DDC USB bridge has an advantage to it.

The F1 will be ship after tomolo and will be expecting soon.

I dun have other dac to compare, it already dethrone the grace m9xx i had and for some extend the mojo by someone earlier. The only true comparison is against other NOS dac implementation. Hoping to hear the next generation DS dac pitching against the current NOS dac.

Aug 6, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #408 of 4,588
Ok, more mimby impressions. I finally got to have a shootout with the mimby vs concero HD. I hope stuff like this is ok, i don't really like to talk bad about someones product or anything, and in all fairness I've really enjoyed the concero HD, but (yeah that word had to appear) the mimby, at least in my opinion and in my sons opinion reins supreme. I don't know what it is. It must be the multibit technology? It just seems like the mimby makes all of the instruments sound cleaner, clearer, more like the real things.

My son, we listened to slipknot and dimmu borgir, fist on the concero then the mimby and he loved the mimby. He said it "cleaned up the recordings" in his words. It's not like the concero sounds bad or anything, it's a good sounding DAC, and I've enjoyed a lot of hours on it. But I'm glad I'm moving on to multibit. For me, the way is clear now, I really want to hear gumby and/or yggy. If the mimby sounds this good, I can't even imagine what the yggy must sound like. Great stuff! And an incredible value for just 250 dollars! It's really cool of Schiit to release something like this at this price point. I wonder how many really expensive DACs this little giant could take down? I guess different people would want different sounds, and from posts I've read, some people aren't into a lot of "detail" from their DACs, but for me, detail is one of the main things I want from a DAC, and the mimby has got that going big time! (in my humble opinion of course)

Well, it's time for some beer drinking and listening to tunes and chillin out for the rest of the evening. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #409 of 4,588
I have had the Modi Multibit for 5 days now and have put it through the gamut.

I give it an A. Total winner.

Using it in a 2.1 "parlor" setup, fed by a Google Cast Audio, up through a Temple Bantam One, out a pair of B&W CM1's and matching subwoofer. These speakers have not sounded so eerily realistic and WARM from other sources I have used, from a lowly Denon HEOS to a supposedly audiophile grade Oppo BDP-105.

I will recommend this DAC to people who want to invest more in speakers or and budding audiophiles looking for a quality source for either headphones or speakers.

I am hearing so much realism and clarity. The sound is warm and addicting. I had been attempting to save up for a Bimby on this setup but could never justify the $600+. Thank you, Schiit!

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #410 of 4,588
These speakers have not sounded so eerily realistic and WARM from other sources I have used, from a lowly Denon HEOS to a supposedly audiophile grade Oppo BDP-105.

Just to be sure, are you saying the Mimby bests the Oppo 105?

That's a beloved player among audiophiles (as I am sure you are well aware of) and that's a pretty bold statement.

I'm really kind of hoping that IS the case, to be honest. I've always wanted an Oppo, but $1k on a BD player is a lot of outlay (IMO) and if a $250 DAC will best it for 2 channel listening, then I just saved $750!!!
biggrin.gif

Your post is of particular interest to me, as I am also using B&W's in my main system. 684 towers, to be exact, and have always fought with their bright sound signature. You mentioned that your speakers have never sounded so warm. Did you find that Mimby helped to tame the highs a bit?

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #411 of 4,588
I've moved the MP3 discussion here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/816527/

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #412 of 4,588

Testing my beaverface TH-X00 Mahagony now.

From mid to highs I still prefer my modded HE400S planar.

From lower mid to lows the planar can't match the TH-X00. Much better layered lows then m9xx. The treble is much soothing now against m9xx.

Staging on the TH-XO0 can't much the open planar as expected. The dynamic nature of this TH-X00 has faster linear sounding though.

Listening to Petra Magoni,Ferruccio Spinetti- i will survive. The lows of the cello and the highs of her voice are very clear in harmony.

Perfect Darkness by Fink sounded better on TH-X00.

Side note- after burning continously microdetails start to appear now never heard before on the m9xx.

Hmmm should i bring out my de-comission X2? Maybe later but definitly can't match both TH-X00 and HE400S in SQ on m9xx previously.
This 3 pairs of headphones add ups to 1 ELEAR---Hmmmmm tempting.Got a gut feeling it will surpass all due to the latest dynamic driver on Elear.

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #413 of 4,588
Is it just me or does this DAC have a smaller power switch than my Modi2Uber, Vali 2, and Magni 2?

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #414 of 4,588
Is it just me or does this DAC have a smaller power switch than my Modi2Uber, Vali 2, and Magni 2?

If you've lost your wall-wart, or need another one, you can get it right here. We use four kinds of wall-warts for our products, so please make sure you get the right one.

16VAC, 500mA: For Magni, Magni 2, Vali, Modi 2 Uber, Modi Optical, and Mani
14VAC, 1500mA: for Magni 2 Uber. Can also be used on any product with a 16VAC wall-wart above.
6VAC, 1500mA: for Wyrd
24VAC/6VAC: for Vali 2

Cut and copy:wink:

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #415 of 4,588
If you've lost your wall-wart, or need another one, you can get it right here. We use four kinds of wall-warts for our products, so please make sure you get the right one.

16VAC, 500mA: For Magni, Magni 2, Vali, Modi 2 Uber, Modi Optical, and Mani
14VAC, 1500mA: for Magni 2 Uber. Can also be used on any product with a 16VAC wall-wart above.
6VAC, 1500mA: for Wyrd
24VAC/6VAC: for Vali 2

Cut and copy:wink:

Thank you. However, I meant the actual on/off switch on the back is smaller than the ones on my other schiit items of this size.

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #416 of 4,588
Thank you. However, I meant the actual on/off switch on the back is smaller than the ones on my other schiit items of this size.

Haha my bad, in that case no idea as i intend to power it up permernantly.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #418 of 4,588

Testing my beaverface TH-X00 Mahagony now.

From mid to highs I still prefer my modded HE400S planar.

From lower mid to lows the planar can't match the TH-X00. Much better layered lows then m9xx. The treble is much soothing now against m9xx.

Staging on the TH-XO0 can't much the open planar as expected. The dynamic nature of this TH-X00 has faster linear sounding though.

Listening to Petra Magoni,Ferruccio Spinetti- i will survive. The lows of the cello and the highs of her voice are very clear in harmony.

Perfect Darkness by Fink sounded better on TH-X00.

Side note- after burning continously microdetails start to appear now never heard before on the m9xx.

Hmmm should i bring out my de-comission X2? Maybe later but definitly can't match both TH-X00 and HE400S in SQ on m9xx previously.
This 3 pairs of headphones add ups to 1 ELEAR---Hmmmmm tempting.Got a gut feeling it will surpass all due to the latest dynamic driver on Elear but I once tested HD800S with Chord TT in a local shop but found out stil prefer my current setup.

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #419 of 4,588
All of these comments make the Schiit decision even more difficult, trying to pin point the best source for my setup. Both MMB and BMB are a "no-brainer" purchase. GMB is a light stretch at the moment while Yiggy is a serious investment; my "one and done" option.

I have A/B GMB and Yiggy fairly extensively, preferring Yiggy. Cons for me are price, footprint, no need for balanced output, and not available in black (usually).

As someone who doesn't need balanced output, naturally the MMB and BMB come to mind as they also have nice and tiny footprints.

Where do MMB and BMB fall with regards to sound signature AND resolution / detail retrieval vs. GMB and Yiggy?

In order for BMB to be that much more appealing vs. MMB, Schiit really needs to give us more reason as to why the ability to upgrade is important. They need a USB4 option or perhaps a Wyrd2 that completely negates the need for all the BS add-ons like U2S, Regen, Intona, etc. That and / or a PS upgrade that also negates all the BS LPS discussions.

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #420 of 4,588
All of these comments make the Schiit decision even more difficult, trying to pin point the best source for my setup. Both MMB and BMB are a "no-brainer" purchase. GMB is a light stretch at the moment while Yiggy is a serious investment; my "one and done" option.

I have A/B GMB and Yiggy fairly extensively, preferring Yiggy. Cons for me are price, footprint, no need for balanced output, and not available in black (usually).

As someone who doesn't need balanced output, naturally the MMB and BMB come to mind as they also have nice and tiny footprints.

Where do MMB and BMB fall with regards to sound signature AND resolution / detail retrieval vs. GMB and Yiggy?

In order for BMB to be that much more appealing vs. MMB, Schiit really needs to give us more reason as to why the ability to upgrade is important. They need a USB4 option or perhaps a Wyrd2 that completely negates the need for all the BS add-ons like U2S, Regen, Intona, etc. That and / or a PS upgrade that also negates all the BS LPS discussions.

Yeah, the bifrost line no doubt needs an overhaul. Schiit has even basically acknowledged that. There are some benefits to BMB over MMB, but very few people are gonna find them worth the price difference. My gut tells me Schiit has something big up their sleeves for the bifrost line in the next few months though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back