Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 22, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #1,262 of 4,588
http://www.pi2design.com/coming-soon.html

"The 503SPD2, designed and manufactured by Pi2Media (a division of PI 2 Design), is a professional I/O Shield designed to bring Professional Studio Grade Audio to the Raspberry PI ® family of Single Board Computers. This low cost HAT converts the Raspberry Pi ® I2S Port to High Definition Digital Audio, Coax and Balanced XLR. "

It's designed to be a better digi+, fixing the power/noise and clock issues. No need for a linear power supply with this one.

Interesting!

Do you also have a link to the power/noise and clock issues the digi+ has?

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #1,265 of 4,588
I'm going to contact Schiit and see if they'all take a recommendation at creating a super low jitter, super clean, ARM processor computer to create the digital signals for their DAC's. Seems like their is a lot of interest in low jitter, bit perfect computers and it would be a perfect spot to fill in their lineup to go with their DAC's. I'm thinking TOSLINK/USB/BNC (BNC can be adapted to COAX- but straight BNC is arguably the best digital output) out.

Sorry to slightly derail. It is relevant though.
Here are Atomicbob's Shiit Modi Multibit measurements through different inputs. If you examine by blowing up the picture really closely, you'll see that TOSLINK and COAX perform miles ahead of USB; TOSLINK having slightly better performance than COAX.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/817404/modi-mb-technical-measurements/0_100#post_12794943

Be sure to PM Atomicbob and thank him for his amazing work and contribution to our community. From what I understand he's not been in the best health recently, but he's still pulling through and giving our community amazing contributions.

Would iPurifier2 alleviate the USB performance gap ?

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #1,266 of 4,588
Apologies. Though for me it is relevant since I'm connecting the dac to the digi+ and if it has issues I'd like to know about them.

Pm'd links as they would get deleted here, but basically the digi+ doesn't have correct clocks (introducing jitter) and doesn't have power regulation. The upcoming digi+PRO board will have the clocks but no regulator. The speed board will have both.

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #1,267 of 4,588
Now that Schiit UK (Electromod) doesn't sell Schiit products anymore does anyone know how I purchase a Modi Multibit DAC with a UK 3 pin plug without the extra expense of purchasing from the USA or having to purchase a separate UK Wallmart from Schiit for $33, including postage? 

I don't want to have a European type plug and use an adapter as I think it could degrade the sound, or introduce interference, hum etc etc.

Really annoying for a UK customer.

Thanks for any help.

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #1,269 of 4,588
  Yes they do, and they have stock:-

http://schiit.eu.com/dacs

Just ordered my Jot from them today, talk with Mark he is very helpful.

Great, that's a website I didn't find before. Their other site says they only provide EU plugs and adapters, and there is apparently no UK distributor anymore.

http://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/frequently-asked-questions.html

Very much appreciate your help. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #1,270 of 4,588
I am not involved but I think the difference is between an UK distributor and a Netherlands distributor. They have a gentleman's agreement on territory IIRC. 

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,271 of 4,588
Got my digi+ today and hooked up to Modi via toslink. After several days of listening via USB it's great to have the real sound of Multibit again! Toslink from Pi sounds very similar to toslink from my outboard PC audio interface: gone is the fuzziness of USB to be replaced by the clear top end that feels like cool, pure flowing water.

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #1,272 of 4,588
  I am not involved but I think the difference is between an UK distributor and a Netherlands distributor. They have a gentleman's agreement on territory IIRC. 

Yes, as far as I can now make out there appear to be two different European distributors: one trading as Schiit-europe.com, in the Netherlands, and one as Schiit.eu.com in the UK.  The latter offers EU and UK plugs; europe.com only offers EU plugs. Hope I've understood this correctly now!

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #1,273 of 4,588
Got my digi+ today and hooked up to Modi via toslink. After several days of listening via USB it's great to have the real sound of Multibit again! Toslink from Pi sounds very similar to toslink from my outboard PC audio interface: gone is the fuzziness of USB to be replaced by the clear top end that feels like cool, pure flowing water.

HI, you got the Version with output transformer ?

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #1,274 of 4,588

HI, you got the Version with output transformer ?

No, I use toslink and dont plan to use the coax so no need for it, especially since it's just a temporary solution until the Speed board (http://www.pi2design.com/coming-soon.html) is available.  Maybe the the transformer version with a coax cable would sound better I don't knkow, but this first gen of boards isn't all that great anyway so I'm not going to split hairs over it.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #1,275 of 4,588
  No, I use toslink and don't plan to use the coax so no need for it, especially since it's just a temporary solution until the Speed board is available.  Maybe the the transformer version with a coax cable would sound better I don't know, but this first gen of boards isn't all that great anyway so I'm not going to split hairs over it.

I've just done the same, but useing the 7"in. Official Display plus Smartipi Touch case, running Jriver Media Center. Don't give up on HiFiBerry just yet, they are offering an new Digi+ Pro beta board with separate crystals for 44 and 48Khz, as well as, transformer coupling on coax. You can order the new Digi+ Pro at a reduced price of €29.90/US$34.90/GBP 26.90. Though the Pi2Design 503SPD2 looks great.

On to  Modi Multibit questions:

I am mounting the multibit upright using a stand from my D-Link DIR-655 router that coincidentally is the same width as the Modi. Should the dac be set with the power supply on top putting the dac chip at the bottom or put the power supply on the bottom with the dac chip at the top?
The dac chip is on the underside of the board and given that my unit is at 110F or higher the chip should be even hotter.

The Modi Multibit's power brick is rated at 500ma. Would increasing the power rating to 1.0amp or 1.5amp improve the sound? Would getting a brick with a fatter power cord than the thin one from the current unit be better?

Because of the Smartipi Touch case I need a right angle Toslink adapter. I ordered one of the cheap swiveling ubiquitous types from Amazon. Are these devices any good or will it severely reduce optical performance below coax?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back