Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 20, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #1,247 of 4,588
I've been using all sorts of digital connections over the last 15 years- coaxial, optical and USB. I still do. I've never heard any noticeable difference between them, unless I was unfortunate enough to catch a ground loop hum - it usually happens when two connected devices are powered from different outlets (most often in different rooms). In such cases I'd fallback to using a Toslink as a countermeasure.

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #1,249 of 4,588

So if I want to use it to its full potential, I need to buy a USB to SPDIF converter then. Are they different from one brand to another or are they relatively similar?

Not really, speaking for the case of the Bifrost Multibit, which is a the bigger brother of the Modi Multibit. A good converter may make a difference if your USB source is mediocre, but not for a good USB source. What @ColtMrFire experienced may not apply for your USB source. Only testing with your own setup will give you the answer. In my experience, a good converter (Bel Canto mLink) makes a bit of a difference for a dedicated but fairly cheap USB source (CuBox ARM Linux) and none for a higher-end USB source (microRendu). If your source is a Mac or a PC, there seem to be many variables from hardware to software that affect USB quality, to judge by the many discussions all over the relevant fora. That's why I've always used dedicated USB sources.

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #1,250 of 4,588
Toslink from the Echo Layla 3G interface on my PC beats USB easily for use with Mimby. Both the Chord and Schiit guys recommend SPDIF over USB because it picks up less of the noise that is inherent to multipurpose devices. You won't hear it as noise, more a loss of the subtle depth cues and microdetail. USB cleanup devices are a thriving industry for a reason.

I recently set up the Mimby with a Pi using USB and the loss of separation and timing info is obvious. Digi+ is incoming which will be replaced by the Speed board thing when it becomes available.

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #1,251 of 4,588
Toslink from the Echo Layla 3G interface on my PC beats USB easily for use with Mimby. Both the Chord and Schiit guys recommend SPDIF over USB because it picks up less of the noise that is inherent to multipurpose devices. You won't hear it as noise, more a loss of the subtle depth cues and microdetail. USB cleanup devices are a thriving industry for a reason.

I recently set up the Mimby with a Pi using USB and the loss of separation and timing info is obvious. Digi+ is incoming which will be replaced by the Speed board thing when it becomes available.

What is this speed board thing you speak of?

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #1,252 of 4,588

Digi+ Is upgrade over USB out

Also make sure you use good custom linear power supply with Pi. Do not use regular one!!! It will degrade the sound

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #1,255 of 4,588
Digi+ Is upgrade over USB out

Also make sure you use good custom linear power supply with Pi. Do not use regular one!!! It will degrade the sound

Depends a lot on the design of the supply. Don't forget the linear ones have a tendency to insert 50/60 hz hum into the signal. All of it moot though, the pi supplies power to the digi+ and the gpio output is filtered. See also http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/1617/how-do-i-supply-power-through-the-gpio

More importantly, make sure you have enough power to drive both the pi, assorted peripherals and the digi board.

I just use a wallwart with good effect, the official raspberry pi supply is a good one.

Sep 21, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #1,256 of 4,588

Yeap.

Sep 21, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #1,257 of 4,588
What PSU are you using?

I was using this one https://markgrant.co.uk/linear-power-supply/187-raspberry-pi-linear-power-supply-by-sbooster.html

But you can find cheeper ones on the eBay

This one is also good http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/

USB power bank can sound also very good

Now I am using only microRendu streamer

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #1,258 of 4,588
What is this speed board thing you speak of?

http://www.pi2design.com/coming-soon.html

"The 503SPD2, designed and manufactured by Pi2Media (a division of PI 2 Design), is a professional I/O Shield designed to bring Professional Studio Grade Audio to the Raspberry PI ® family of Single Board Computers. This low cost HAT converts the Raspberry Pi ® I2S Port to High Definition Digital Audio, Coax and Balanced XLR. "

It's designed to be a better digi+, fixing the power/noise and clock issues. No need for a linear power supply with this one.

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #1,259 of 4,588
I'm going to contact Schiit and see if they'all take a recommendation at creating a super low jitter, super clean, ARM processor computer to create the digital signals for their DAC's. Seems like their is a lot of interest in low jitter, bit perfect computers and it would be a perfect spot to fill in their lineup to go with their DAC's. I'm thinking TOSLINK/USB/BNC (BNC can be adapted to COAX- but straight BNC is arguably the best digital output) out.

Sorry to slightly derail. It is relevant though.
Here are Atomicbob's Shiit Modi Multibit measurements through different inputs. If you examine by blowing up the picture really closely, you'll see that TOSLINK and COAX perform miles ahead of USB; TOSLINK having slightly better performance than COAX.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/817404/modi-mb-technical-measurements/0_100#post_12794943

Be sure to PM Atomicbob and thank him for his amazing work and contribution to our community. From what I understand he's not been in the best health recently, but he's still pulling through and giving our community amazing contributions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back