Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jun 6, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #3,271 of 4,588
Well you're the one making subjective claims but for all we know it's because their USB chips aren't bus-powered, so you're mostly comparing apples and pineapples. We figured you could do a 10 secs test that would actually be a lot more meaningful, sorry for the waste of time.

Regarding Schitt tech support, they recently told me that 15mV DC offset on fulla2's HO was perfectly normal so I'll just assume that they would have no clue what I'm asking. Must be the Audeze's QA dude also taking care of Schiit tech support ^^

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #3,272 of 4,588
Oh, I see, a Schiit hater....:wave:

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #3,273 of 4,588
You don't see much actually and so far have mostly been making bold subjective statements as far as I can see. I love Mimby but would never ask their support for technical questions because for instance 15mV DC offset is very much not normal despite what they think and checking whether Bimby/Gumby's USB chips are bus-powered is more factual than "yo it sounds better duh"
pommedapi.gif

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #3,274 of 4,588
The fact that I think my Yggdrasil on USB sounds better than my Modi Multibit using SPDIF through a Singxer F-1 is completely subjective. It's an opinion that is only factual in the sense it is what I think. I never claimed it was anything but subjective....

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #3,275 of 4,588
Cool story, if anyone who cares about facts could be hassled unplugging Bimby's off the mains and check whether it still shows up on the computer this would be most appreciated please because S/PDIF cannot sound better than async USB...well except if USB chip is bus-powered from a noisy mobo USB port for instance. Great sounding USB isn't PNP by a long shot.

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #3,276 of 4,588
That doesn't tell you anything either. The DAC could require seeing +5 on the Vbus pin but not use it in actual operation.
If the completely unplugged DAC still shows up in the system then it DOES use Vbus power to power at least the USB receiver. The rest can be powered by a power supply.
If you guys care so much, why not ask Schiit Audio.....
Because their answers are usually "YMMV" and "It's just for fun". I am not a Schiit hater. I love their products but I hate when engineers provide answers like that.

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #3,277 of 4,588
Well even Wyrd uses bus power to fuel its USB chip repeater so they don't seem too keen on bothering self-powering USB chips, anyway Mimby rocks with a 2A wallwart and a third-party USB PSU so be it and I like how Mimby can be hidden behind the PC because I've really gotten to hate audiophool desk clutter now.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #3,278 of 4,588
The fact that I think my Yggdrasil on USB sounds better than my Modi Multibit using SPDIF through a Singxer F-1 is completely subjective. It's an opinion that is only factual in the sense it is what I think. I never claimed it was anything but subjective....
Yggdrasil's USB is superior to their other products'. It uses a different chip but also other improvements (Gen 3). So, your observations are no surprise. Accordingly to this https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/yggdrasil-technical-measurements.764787/ "Jitter - what jitter - Yggdrasil laughs at your USB cables".

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #3,279 of 4,588
Cool story, if anyone who cares about facts could be hassled unplugging Bimby's off the mains and check whether it still shows up on the computer this would be most appreciated please because S/PDIF cannot sound better than async USB...well except if USB chip is bus-powered from a noisy mobo USB port for instance. Great sounding USB isn't PNP by a long shot.

Oh brother. Where to start....

The facts (objective):

Mike Moffat, the guy that designed all of these Schiit DACs, says the USB interface is the worst interface on the DACs. S/PDIF is the better interface to use, period. On Yggdrasil, AES/EBU is best.

I don't have a Bifrost Multibit, but my Yggdrasil shows up in USB section of System Profiler on my MacBook Pro even if powered off as long as the USB cable is plugged in to both.

My opinions (subjective):

I have used the Modi Multibit with USB and super clean power on the Vbus. This was done using an UpTone Audio ISO Regen powered by an UpTone Audio LPS-1 plugged into the DAC's USB port. I have also used the Modi Multibit with S/PDIF using the Singxfer F-1. I have tried two ways. In one, it also had super clean power as the same UpTone Audio ISO Regen powered by an UpTone Audio LPS-1 was plugged into the Singxer F-1's USB port. In another, it was without clean power on the Vbus. The USB cable from the MacBook was plugged straight into the Singxer F-1's USB port.

In all cases, I prefer the sound of Yggdrasil on USB straight from the MacBook Pro over any scenario involving the Modi Multibit.

Most people with experience would agree that USB sucks for audio. S/DIF coax has its issues, but it is better than USB.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #3,281 of 4,588
Oh brother. Where to start

Yeah brother I know what Mr Moffat said but when I asked him about further details he remained very vague so for all I know he was comparing a TOTL transport to a laptop USB port, eventually S/PDIF would most likely win in that case.

In my experience Regen+9V iPower shrinks and colors Mimby's SS and USB galvanic isolation will increase both jitter and distortion, there's no way around it and no free lunch either no matter what shills and magical USB boxes with 500% markup will say. Best option to my ears is to use a simple third-party USB PSU to replace bus-power, no fancypants reclocker that messes up with dataflow kthx ^^

Yggy costs 2.3 grand so I would expect it to sound amazing even off a tablet eh.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #3,282 of 4,588
So, nothing I have to say is of interest or use to you. Please put me on your ignore list as that is where I am putting you.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #3,284 of 4,588
Gungnir and Yggdrasil have what they call Adapticlock - "it’s a way to decrapify the inputs, no matter how craptastic they are". "Technically, Adapticlock is the industry’s most advanced jitter-reducing reclocking system. It automatically switches between VCXO and VCO reclocking, depending on the quality of your source. High-quality sources run on the VCXOs, for best jitter performance. Lower-quality sources that deviate from the range of the VCXOs are routed automatically to the VCOs, and an LED on the front panel comes on. We call this the “buy better gear” light." - From FAQ for Gungnir.

So, Gungnir and Yggdrasil don't need anything between them and a computer. A "decrapifier" is kind of built-in. They should sound better than any other Schiit, which was "subjectively" confirmed by winders a few posts ago: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/h...g-modi-multibit.815368/page-219#post-13532575
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/h...g-modi-multibit.815368/page-219#post-13532575
I wish Schiit put Adapticlock into Wyrd...

Jun 7, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #3,285 of 4,588
Well they got trolled big time on Wyrd and I hope they do plan a counterattack at some point huh: https://www.audiostream.com/content/manufacturers-comment-26
Regen dude claims to have sold 4K units, I let you do the math......they already were kind enough to basically sell Bimby for $249 so a $99 reclocker that uses Adapticlock would indeed raise a lot of interest
billy-bob%20jambonbeur.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back