Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
May 26, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #3,241 of 4,588
Are the Schiit DACs powering their USB receiver using USB VBUS power or do they just not work if the VBUS power is not there? It's a HUGE difference.
They are powering their receiver from the external USB source! Seems weird to me. First, the DAC shows up in Windows device manager when it is turned off and unplugged from the power source. Second, device manager reports that the DAC requires 100mA. If, magically, the DAC starts using internal power when powered on, then Windows would have kicked it out and re-enumerated as a different device that requires 0mA. That doesn't happen.

My two other DAC's are reported as requiring 0mA by device manager. They disappear from Windows when turned off. I don't know if they work or not when the VBUS power is not there but it is obvious that their USB receivers are powered internally.

I don't understand why Schiit decided to power their USB receivers by uncontrolled external power sources. I doubt they saved much by doing this. Maybe someone can comment on this.

As an inconvenience, now I have to not only flip the on/off switch but also to unplug the USB cable when I want to disconnect the DAC.

May 27, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #3,242 of 4,588
I wonder if Bimby's USB chip is also bus-powered? Many ppl claim that sonic difference with Mimby is very thin but maybe comparison isn't even fair if you see what I mean
emoji_angel.png

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #3,244 of 4,588
I wonder if Bimby's USB chip is also bus-powered? Many ppl claim that sonic difference with Mimby is very thin but maybe comparison isn't even fair if you see what I mean
emoji_angel.png
I don't see how some people can not immediately hear differences between all these DACs. They're very different sound signatures.
What do you mean by "all these". Mimby and Bimby use the same DAC chips and DSP. They should sound nearly the same because they are nearly the same.

If you have a Bimby or any other DAC, unplug it from power (power supply, electrical outlet) and connect its USB to a computer. If the computer "sees" it then the DAC USB chip is bus-powered. Usually it is possible to see in the device manager in Windows what amount of current the chip is drawing by looking at properties of the USB hub it is connected to

May 27, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #3,245 of 4,588
What do you mean by "all these". Mimby and Bimby use the same DAC chips and DSP. They should sound nearly the same because they are nearly the same.

Sorry, I was referring to DACs in general, not those two in particular. I have a bad habit of multitasking and not paying close enough attention sometimes. Now I see that he was referring to the differences between those two DACs, not the difference between any random DAC and the Modi Multibit.

Jun 1, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #3,246 of 4,588
They are powering their receiver from the external USB source! Seems weird to me. First, the DAC shows up in Windows device manager when it is turned off and unplugged from the power source. Second, device manager reports that the DAC requires 100mA. If, magically, the DAC starts using internal power when powered on, then Windows would have kicked it out and re-enumerated as a different device that requires 0mA. That doesn't happen.

My two other DAC's are reported as requiring 0mA by device manager. They disappear from Windows when turned off. I don't know if they work or not when the VBUS power is not there but it is obvious that their USB receivers are powered internally.

I don't understand why Schiit decided to power their USB receivers by uncontrolled external power sources. I doubt they saved much by doing this. Maybe someone can comment on this.

As an inconvenience, now I have to not only flip the on/off switch but also to unplug the USB cable when I want to disconnect the DAC.

I suspect it's so that you don't have Windows switching sound devices on you when you turn your DAC on or off. My guess would be that they are of the opinion that if it's plugged in it should show up on your computer, regardless of whether the DAC is on or off.

Entirely speculation on my part, although personally I agree with their approach, as I don't want Windows switching things around on me unless I actually unplug my DAC.

Jun 2, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #3,248 of 4,588
I made a showcase item for the Mimby as none existed. Also posted the first review under the showcase. Check it out here:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/schiit-audio-modi-multibit-aka-mimby.22405/

I searched extensively before creating the item, so if one existed before, that's evidence that too much sonic energy has rotted my brain. As I state, I'll remove it if it's a duplicate.

Jun 2, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #3,249 of 4,588
I made a showcase item for the Mimby as none existed. Also posted the first review under the showcase. Check it out here:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/schiit-audio-modi-multibit-aka-mimby.22405/

I searched extensively before creating the item, so if one existed before, that's evidence that too much sonic energy has rotted my brain. As I state, I'll remove it if it's a duplicate.

Here ya go: https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/schiit-modi-multibit.21834/

@AxelCloris or another one of the admins can tidy things up.

Jun 2, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #3,250 of 4,588
Jun 4, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #3,251 of 4,588
anyone compared modi 2 uber vs multibit?

I originally wanted to buy the multibit but was out of stock when i ordelred my lyr 2.

now spotted used multibit on sale, which i might buy if i get it cheap

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #3,253 of 4,588
anyone compared modi 2 uber vs multibit?

I originally wanted to buy the multibit but was out of stock when i ordelred my lyr 2.

now spotted used multibit on sale, which i might buy if i get it cheap

I compared the Modi 2U 4490 and mimby, and TBH it was very hard to find a discernible difference. If you aren't straining to find differences, I'd doubt you'd find any. I can see the reference to mimby sounding "vinyl-like", but M2U 4490 isn't far off from that reference with a smidge more air at the top.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #3,254 of 4,588
I suspect it's so that you don't have Windows switching sound devices on you when you turn your DAC on or off. My guess would be that they are of the opinion that if it's plugged in it should show up on your computer, regardless of whether the DAC is on or off.

Entirely speculation on my part, although personally I agree with their approach, as I don't want Windows switching things around on me unless I actually unplug my DAC.
To me, turning off = unplugging. But that is the least important of concerns. The major one is that the USB receiver is powered by dirty USB power from unknown (to Schiit) sources. Every computer is different. There are some with bad USB, then Mimby will have a problem that the user will blame on Schiit. Why power part of your device from unknown sources when clean, stable, known power is right there in the device.

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #3,255 of 4,588
I compared the Modi 2U 4490 and mimby, and TBH it was very hard to find a discernible difference. If you aren't straining to find differences, I'd doubt you'd find any. I can see the reference to mimby sounding "vinyl-like", but M2U 4490 isn't far off from that reference with a smidge more air at the top.

M2U is not a sub-par DAC by any means! I listen to music with lots of instrumentation and cymbals (progressive rock mainly) - lots of fast notes being played and overlaid crashes and splashes with more high frequency decay going on. Maybe that's where I was able to hear the smoothness of mimby kicking in some more? Who knows, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back