Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Apr 16, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #3,076 of 4,588
Thanks gvl:

I'm a bit of a novice.  Could you explain when you say, "if your material is up to 16bit/96kHz..."?  How does one tell if their source material is at that rate?  Also, if it is not, then I won't be able to use the TDA1543 based DACs?

Your music player should usually tell the format. CDs are 16bit/44.1kHz, same same goes for most streaming services such as Spotify with one difference the data is compressed so there's some quality loss to begin with. You could downsample hi-res material to make it DAC-compatible but it defeats the purpose to have hi-res.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #3,077 of 4,588
I finally got a Mimby, what I can say is that its Loud. When plugged into the same amp at the same volume its louder than my Topping D30 which makes it seem like it has more details, but leveling out the volume it sounds about the same.

I haven't done any in-depth listening though and probably won't before I move into my new house.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #3,079 of 4,588
  I finally got a Mimby, what I can say is that its Loud. When plugged into the same amp at the same volume its louder than my Topping D30 which makes it seem like it has more details, but leveling out the volume it sounds about the same.

I haven't done any in-depth listening though and probably won't before I move into my new house.

It is loud but it is also as load as other 2VRMS DACs are, and I'm finding that 2VRMS is too hot for many amps out there.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #3,081 of 4,588
Your music player should usually tell the format. CDs are 16bit/44.1kHz, same same goes for most streaming services such as Spotify with one difference the data is compressed so there's some quality loss to begin with. You could downsample hi-res material to make it DAC-compatible but it defeats the purpose to have hi-res.

Thanks gvl.  Also, can you explain your following statement for me?  "I'm finding that 2VRMS is too hot for many amps out there."

Thanks

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,082 of 4,588

Thanks gvl.  Also, can you explain your following statement for me?  "I'm finding that 2VRMS is too hot for many amps out there."

Thanks

2V (RMS) seems to be the standard output level for DACs these days. In simple terms it means that most DACs are too loud for amps, so the amp's volume knob has very limited useful range to like 10 o'clock where it becomes too loud, especially with efficient speakers/headphones. More details on RMS if interested: http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/accircuits/rms-voltage.html

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #3,083 of 4,588

2V (RMS) seems to be the standard output level for DACs these days. In simple terms it means that most DACs are too loud for amps, so the amp's volume knob has very limited useful range to like 10 o'clock where it becomes too loud, especially with efficient speakers/headphones. More details on RMS if interested: http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/accircuits/rms-voltage.html

Thanks gvl.  I understand now.  That could become annoying.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #3,085 of 4,588
  Good to know that If the dac is plugged through usb to a pc, the volume it can be lowered on windows (or mac or...).

Yes, but depending on circumstances and the extent of lowering this may lead to loss of detail. Common thinking it is best to control volume in the analog domain leaving PC player/system sliders at 100%, but there are other opinions as well. Also this is less true if your 16 bit material is converted to 24bit, then lowering volume shouldn't cause to lose the details as they weren't there in the first place anyway. Some DACs have variable output levels so that they can be used as pre-amps. There are also old-good level attenuators as well you can place upstream of the DAC to lover the signal level before feeding it into the amp.

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #3,087 of 4,588
Is this normal?
Mimby in 24/7 since arrived 3 months ago. Just got a bbbzzzzz on left channel in high frequencies of each song. Different A/B/C testing discard the integrated amp as source of bbbzzzzz on left channel.

Both Mimby and amp switched off and unplugged for 5 min and everything went to normal, no bbbzzzzz.

Is this normal? Bbbzzzzz was with both coax and TOSLINK inputs with Chromecast Video and Chromecast Audio respectively. When using with Mojo as DCA in line out setup no issues with same connectivity.

By the way Mojo is ahead of Mimby.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #3,088 of 4,588
Is this normal?
Mimby in 24/7 since arrived 3 months ago. Just got a bbbzzzzz on left channel in high frequencies of each song. Different A/B/C testing discard the integrated amp as source of bbbzzzzz on left channel.

Both Mimby and amp switched off and unplugged for 5 min and everything went to normal, no bbbzzzzz.

Is this normal? Bbbzzzzz was with both coax and TOSLINK inputs with Chromecast Video and Chromecast Audio respectively. When using with Mojo as DCA in line out setup no issues with same connectivity.

By the way Mojo is ahead of Mimby.

Do you like mojo more than mimby? Why?

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #3,090 of 4,588

Yea the D30 has a max voltage of 2.1 but something makes me think its not actually outputting that voltage since mimby is so loud in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back