Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Apr 17, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #3,091 of 4,588
Is this normal?
Mimby in 24/7 since arrived 3 months ago. Just got a bbbzzzzz on left channel in high frequencies of each song. Different A/B/C testing discard the integrated amp as source of bbbzzzzz on left channel.

Both Mimby and amp switched off and unplugged for 5 min and everything went to normal, no bbbzzzzz.

Is this normal? Bbbzzzzz was with both coax and TOSLINK inputs with Chromecast Video and Chromecast Audio respectively. When using with Mojo as DCA in line out setup no issues with same connectivity.

By the way Mojo is ahead of Mimby.

Some of us have experienced a similar effect that was also cured by power cycling the DAC. Sounds like there an obscure bug in Schiit DSP. Normal? I'd say no.

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #3,092 of 4,588

Some of us have experienced a similar effect that was also cured by power cycling the DAC. Sounds like there an obscure bug in Schiit DSP. Normal? I'd say no.

To quote Baldr:

Random electrostatic pulses, minor line brownouts, and even minor emps into poorly shielded cables can cause the DSP processor in the Mimby to slip a bit and exhibit odd sounds.  In that case, a quick reset by cycling power will clear all up.  No worries. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #3,094 of 4,588
I too just experienced the high-pitched ringing in the left channel of my Mimby this morning. At first I thought it was tube microphonics or something wrong with my headphones. Checked all the tubes I had with my Vali 2, and they all had the same issue. Power-cycled the Mimby and it was gone. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #3,095 of 4,588
Yea so I found that actually this cut out / pop happens very frequently with quieter music (although I believe I had this observation before with my Fulla2). Except that the Fulla 2 rarely has an issue with this desktop and mostly had an issue with the laptops, now mimby has the issue with this desktop.

If I listen to rap / hip hop / electronic music its much less frequent but it still happens. But its actually extremely frequent on Jazz/Classical.

I have now gone back to using my Topping D30 as it has none of those problems on the same machine (neither does the SMSL M8).

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #3,096 of 4,588
I've had my share of problems with marginal USB ports and/or DAC interfaces, some DAC would work in a USB port and others won't. The Mimby was actually better than some others, I never experienced cutouts with it. Avoid using USB 3.0 ports if possible, try a good quality USB hub or maybe Schiit Wyrd or some other audiophile-duty USB conditioner.

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #3,097 of 4,588
  I've had my share of problems with marginal USB ports and/or DAC interfaces, some DAC would work in a USB port and others won't. The Mimby was actually better than some others, I never experienced cutouts with it. Avoid using USB 3.0 ports if possible, try a good quality USB hub or maybe Schiit Wyrd or some other audiophile-duty USB conditioner.

Not really a point when I can just use other products that work lol
After I rebuild this computer I'll try it with the Optical in.

Otherwise its just going to go on one of my TV's for speakers and call it a day.

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #3,099 of 4,588

Why not if it gives better SQ than other products. FYI optical is inferior to USB and Coax.

I really don't hear a difference between the D30 and the Mimby. Maybe a SLIGHTLY deeper tonal reproduction, and its louder (which I don't need).
I have the M8 also and its louder than the D30 but not as loud as the Mimby.

As far as Coax output.... idk about motherboards having support for that so I'll just try optical later on and see.

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #3,103 of 4,588
Modi Multibit came in last week, yes quick shipping. Really liking it with PC and PS4 Pro. For PC I'm replacing 4 year old Asus STX sound card. I was surprised there was such a big difference in sound. Call me a piggy in Schiit...... Has that one been used before?

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #3,104 of 4,588
Yea so I found that actually this cut out / pop happens very frequently with quieter music (although I believe I had this observation before with my Fulla2). Except that the Fulla 2 rarely has an issue with this desktop and mostly had an issue with the laptops, now mimby has the issue with this desktop.

If I listen to rap / hip hop / electronic music its much less frequent but it still happens. But its actually extremely frequent on Jazz/Classical.

I have now gone back to using my Topping D30 as it has none of those problems on the same machine (neither does the SMSL M8).

I guess I should consider myself lucky since I haven't experienced this even once so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back