Halide Design DAC HD
Mar 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #16 of 28
So what are you saying? That the apples-to-apples comparison is the audiophilleo2 vs the bridge, instead of the audiophilleo1? I suppose that maybe so.
I get your point. But, regardless, i paid over twice as much for a highly lauded product that does no more than the tiny bridge to my ears.
That is all i was saying. :wink:

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
So what are you saying? That the apples-to-apples comparison is the audiophilleo2 vs the bridge, instead of the audiophilleo1? I suppose that maybe so.
I get your point. But, regardless, i paid over twice as much for a highly lauded product that does no more than the tiny bridge to my ears.
That is all i was saying.
wink.gif

Fair enough. I have the AP1 as well, and chose it specifically because I wanted the features. I was tossing up the idea of getting the Bridge instead, as it was the simplest solution, but I saw quite a few people selling theirs and Audiophilleo provide a lot of information about what their products do. I like the idea of a cable DAC, however, especially for a transportable rig to use with a computer. I can't help wondering if it will power off an iPad.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #19 of 28
For iPad use, this article suggests using a Tekkeon MP1550 USB charger (it shows one in conjunction with a CEntrance DACport):

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/ipad-high-rez-digital-transport-rest-us

The Devilsound or Halide DAC HD wouldn't be anywhere near as convenient as a DACport in use with an iPad.

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #22 of 28
"I think overall the DAC HD is a more musical DAC than the MS2+, but the MS2+ is still better in recreating soundstage. Personally I enjoy the DAC HD more, it's one of the most musical DAC's I've listened to." 

Quote:
Here's a review from Computer Audiophile. It was quite the lopsided comparison, but the editor seems to like it quite a bit.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Halide-Design-DAC-HD-Review
Does anyone know how it compares to the Music Streamer II+?

That's from earlier this thread by me from Headphonia's HD 700 unboxing comments.

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #25 of 28

Quote:

Thanks for that review, even if it does read a little like an ad for JK in places. I also found the verdict on the REGA DAC particularly interesting - I stumbled on a thread in one of the speaker-based forums today where a new Rega owner was complaining that his DAC sounded flat, thin and uninspiring. He was strongly urged to give it at least 400 hours by several other board members, several claiming that the caps in their REGA kit had a notoriously long burn-in requirement - I wonder how many hours the review unit had in this case. 

[size=x-small]6th Place: Rega DAC[/size][size=x-small], this uses a pair of parallel-connected Wolfson WM8742 DACs. Considering the expansive soundstage the auditioning system was capable of we all felt the soundstage was compressed and the sound simply didn't stand out as special.[/size]

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #28 of 28
The Halide and the Audioquest Firefly have both been very favorably reviewed by Art Dudley on Stereophile.  Another USB in this general class is made by iFi.  My experience with the more expensive Wavelength Proton USB Dac has also been quite favorable.  Art had also reviewed that Dac and replaced it with the Firefly, which he found to sound even better.  If you're into computer audio and unbalanced, this seems to be the way to go these days at a very affordable price.  

Note:  On second thought. I think it was John Atkinson who reviewed the Halide. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back