Dec 1, 2011 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

grokit

Headphoneus Supremus
Should be shipping this month.

[size=inherit]
[size=inherit] [tr][size=inherit] [td][size=inherit]
dac_hd_usb.png
[/size][/td] [td][size=inherit]
"The DAC HD features a special all-black version of the Wireworld Starlight USB cable. The silver-clad wiring on the cable and unique geometery separating the power and data lines allow cabling up to a full seven meters (optional) without loss.
[/size][/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td][size=inherit]

dac_hd_rca.png
Pure silver analog cabling, featuring the Eichmann silver bullet connectors, insure the audio signal arrives at the stereo without degredation.[/size][/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td][size=inherit]
snowflake_full.png
As with the other Halide products, the DAC HD is cryogenically treated to maximize the sonics. Cryogenic treatement results in a smoother, more resolved sound.[/size][/td] [/size][/tr] [/size]

[/size]  

1. [size=inherit] Power – supplied from USB connection. LC filtered (two pole passive) and down regulated; separate power rails for digital circuitry and master clock.[/size]
  2. [size=inherit] Drivers – Plug and Play, using Streamlength™.[/size]
  3. [size=inherit] Supported rates – 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 kHz (user selectable), at 24 bit resolution.[/size]
  4. [size=inherit] Advanced, completely redesigned electronics for clear, resolved sound.[/size]
  5. [size=inherit] Length – 2 meters standard, other lengths available."[/size]

[size=inherit]  [/size]

[size=inherit] Anybody have one yet, or have one on order?[/size]

[size=inherit]  [/size]

[size=inherit] http://www.audiostream.com/content/halide-design-dac-hd[/size]

(early review)

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 28
Sadly it doesn't seem to be attracting much interest here. I have a Devilsound V2 and it's really a sweet unit.

I would love to see this go head2head with something like a USB Bifrost and a DACmagic as they're all in the same relative price category, especially when you factor in some premium cables.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 28

Quote:
Sadly it doesn't seem to be attracting much interest here. I have a Devilsound V2 and it's really a sweet unit.

I would love to see this go head2head with something like a USB Bifrost and a DACmagic as they're all in the same relative price category, especially when you factor in some premium cables.

I think a more interesting comparison would be to the CEntrance DACport or DACport LX, or to the HRT line of products.  How does the Devilsound V2 compare to those, grokit?  I've been looking for reviews of the DAC HD and the only one that seems to be out there so far is a puff piece that Halide has on its own site.  Possibly Halide isn't very responsive with sending out units to reviewers, and $550 seems risky without being able to audition the product or read any reviews for it.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 28
I haven't heard the CEntrance or HRT, and don't really have much experience with higher-end DACs TBH. I will say that the Devilsound compares favorably with the mid-fi stuff that I have heard, including my balanced Mini-i with Bravo converter in SE mode. I would say it's close in performance even with its form factor. Without the Bravo the Devilsound wins over the Matrix.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

At the bottom he said it competed well with the Bifrost and was slightly better.

Thanks for posting that, high praise indeed and no need for cables or a USB option with the Halide. From reading the Bifrost impressions and my experience with the Devilsound, the differences are pretty much what I expected:

"The Halide HD had a bit more dynamic thrust, weight and substance"

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 28
Good to know, as I'm aware that Steve regards the Bitfrost highly.  But it's also worthwhile to remember that people like Steve hear and write about the latest and greatest all the time.  So his feelings can be skewed in that direction.  Also, great name hamburgerladdy.

I think if the Halide DAC HD were more competitively priced (say under $500), we'd be seeing more early adopter feedback.  Just my 2 cents.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #10 of 28
I'm looking for a DAC for the Sennheiser RS 220 which could be more for a bedroom rig than a reference.

At the moment I own neither.

According to Mike in the comments section regarding others in the price range:

"I think overall the DAC HD is a more musical DAC than the MS2+, but the MS2+ is still better in recreating soundstage. Personally I enjoy the DAC HD more, it's one of the most musical DAC's I've listened to." 

"The LX sounds clearer, but the DAC HD is more fun sounding. The LX has better soundstage depth, but the DAC HD is wider."

http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd700-unboxing/

My handle is a modification of the Throbbing Gristle song and perhaps I would have chosen another if I did not intend to hang out in Head-Fi-ville so much.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 28
Cool, thanks for that link.  The more information the better...  Yeah, I recognized the TG reference!  Have you heard any of the reissues?

I'm thinking the DAC HD breaks down like this: $200 worth of cabling/termination and a $350 DAC.  If you look at it that way, a DACport/DACport LX would run $600/$500 and the Music Streamer II/II+ would be $350/$550.  So spending another $50 gets you a head amp with the DACport.

As a second DAC for my desktop, I've been on the fence between the DACport and the DAC HD...I already have a dedicated headphone amp in a mid 80s Onkyo that can drive 600ohm cans, so have been leaning towards the DAC HD.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 28
Thanks for posting that, I was hoping that Steve would write a full review of the DAC HD. More confirmation that it is a serious contender, as he again asserts that the DAC HD beats the Bifrost in every way, as the consensus on the Bifrost is that it punches well above its price class. With the excellent cabling included, the DAC HD seems like a great deal if you are planning on utilizing a USB input.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #14 of 28
mike at headfonia is using this little guy to feed the RSA dark star.
so, it must hold up pretty well in a high-end rig.

i owned the Bridge by Halide.  and thought it was astonishing for the money.
when i got ready to upgrade to the audiophilleo, i gave the bridge to a friend.
i just couldn't see selling it to a stranger.

a testament to Halide's products: 
I'm not so sure the $1000 Audiophilleo is any better than the $400 Bridge.

if their DACs are anywhere near the cost/performance ration of that little guy, then this DAC HD should be incredible.  
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #15 of 28
I saw that review today on Twitter. Regarding the Audiophilleo 1, you are paying for features and the 2 is $579, not $1k, if you weren't already aware. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back