h electronica?
Feb 12, 2010 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RadiatedAnt

Head-Fier
Hello all! I have read and searched for a while but couldnt find a clear answer. Can someone point me in the right direction? My current headphones are Grados sr80s and UE super.fi 5 pros. I love both of them to some extent, the sr80s seem too bright in my opinion unless I somewhhat tame it with my mini3 amp. amping it seems to bring out the bass but it still leaves a lot to be desired
frown.gif
(even with inverted bowls) My superfi 5s are my choice when listening to trance, hip.hop, IDM or anything with a good bass line. I just went to a Tiesto concert touring his kaleidoscope album... lets just say I want that sound inside my ears again
darthsmile.gif
Im about to purchase a pair of headphones but I have no idea which brand/model to choose.
confused.gif
I set aside up to $1000USD to invest on my next purchase.

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 6
I just started listening to Electro House and have been using my Ultrasone HFI-580. Holy crap it really feels like this is what these headphones were made for. The powerful, fast, and punchy bass just feels so good. Really well below your price range (closer to $150), but you should definitely give them a look if you can.

Deadmau5 - Ghosts N Stuff is an orgasm for my ears.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just started listening to Electro House and have been using my Ultrasone HFI-580. Holy crap it really feels like this is what these headphones were made for. The powerful, fast, and punchy bass just feels so good. Really well below your price range (closer to $150), but you should definitely give them a look if you can.

Deadmau5 - Ghosts N Stuff is an orgasm for my ears.

Most Electronic I've listened to, is absolutely surreal on Ultrasones. I think the HFI label will give you a much more fun sound, but the PROs will definitely fair very well, but do some research on them first. I found that the PRO 550 were very similar to some of the HFI line, but the PRO 900 were a completely different beast. Absolute detail and unforgiving to recording mistakes is all I have to say... and lots of very pronounced bass.

For your budget, I would almost look into trying out some different "sounds" before making such a hefty purchase. I know the upgrade route may be a slow one, but I can definitely say that in the end... it's all so worth it! You know what you love! For Electronic, my comparing headphones would have to be: Ultrasone HFI-580/780, Ultrasone PRO 900, and Beyerdynamic DT880/DT990. For the bass, I can't really think of better candidates. Denon D2000 were basically like watching everyone dancing at a Tiesto concert, and Ultrasones were like being the center of it all. Denons are just too distant for Electronic to me.

The only thing I've been wanting more from my HFI-780, is soundstage. I'm pretty convinced that it's not possible without ruining what is already great about them.

$1000... Edition 9 if you get lucky
atsmile.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 6
D7000 if isolation is not an issue
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyItsBattleKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing I've been wanting more from my HFI-780, is soundstage. I'm pretty convinced that it's not possible without ruining what is already great about them.

That's about spot on. I think that is what makes them so well oriented to electronic music.

There's another plus: they're not picky about sources at all. They're low impedance and just about anything will amp them properly. I've compared with both an iPhone and a Bryston BP-26 and the difference is not that substantial, at least not to the point where they can't be enjoyed with lower level equipment. Very low entry and well worth it to see if its your type of sound.

edit: the bass is overpowering in some other types of music though. I checked out some audiophile voice recordings and the jazz counterbass overpowers everything else. Like I said though, perfectly suited for electronica.

From what I've read, the HFI-780 are a brighter version of the HFI-580 with better midrange. The HFI-580 are supposed to be bassier. They're fairly neutral on the top end though...the only lacking area is the midrange, which is slightly recessed.

Oh, and they absolutely decimate the DT 770 Pros. No contest whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back