Gustard X20pro DAC (ES9028Pro)
Apr 29, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #286 of 300
hi i am not into modding x20 pro

I saw some filter settings and other settings

how to achieve warmest sound possible through the regular settings without any mod

I am using it balanced into my ifi ican pro, but in no way I will do any mod as I am not that much knowledgeable about what you all talk about in modding it, so if possible what is best setting to get the warm sound out of it using it into my macbook pro, using USB , when i mention warm, I mean compared to other settings in x20 pro

also would an upgrade in power cable do any good to this dac, if yes is there a good one that will not cost an arm and a leg to add to this dac

I use a BLE design power cord on my x20 pro (no mods), which is great in build quality. You can do a search on eBay, I’d go with their 10 or 12 gauge cords. They have various materials for the plugs: copper, gold, rhodium, etc. The DAC “felt right” compared to the stock cord. There was almost a sense of a blacker background feel to it but then again ymmv. I wouldn’t say I noticed huge differences but every little thing done here and there adds up.

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #287 of 300
hi i am not into modding x20 pro

I saw some filter settings and other settings

how to achieve warmest sound possible through the regular settings without any mod

I am using it balanced into my ifi ican pro, but in no way I will do any mod as I am not that much knowledgeable about what you all talk about in modding it, so if possible what is best setting to get the warm sound out of it using it into my macbook pro, using USB , when i mention warm, I mean compared to other settings in x20 pro

also would an upgrade in power cable do any good to this dac, if yes is there a good one that will not cost an arm and a leg to add to this dac

SoundEQ: And a good thing you are not into "modding" the X-20 PRO; there's a guy who's can't
sell his hacked-to-hell X-20 (by a well-known/often used HACK). He's advertised this one wonderful
DAC (now worthless) for he past year -or two.

To your question: Experiment with the Minimum Phase filters/Apodizing (or even Hybrid) to soften
(i.e. ruin ) the sound of the otherwise excellent X20PRO when one of the far superior Linear-Phase/
Brickwall filter choices are chosen.
MP/Apodizing filters severely impair signal speed/transparency, definition and resolution of the X20.

Additionally, If possible, use a quality RCS/RCA (single-ended) IC cable; Wireworld makes some
excellent entry-level priced cable ('Luna' or 'Solstice' 7/8 series) that deftly combine resolving
capability and 'musicality'.

Power the X20PRO (and DAC or CDP actually) separately from the other/amplifying gear.

For a power cord, experiment; not with after-market, but with various stock (thrown-in/
hanging around AC power cable of various thickness (both insulation and #AWG/Gauge)
The LEAST colored/coloration will be a slender aC power cable -with a 'harder' outer
sheathing/Insulation. Thicker/softer throw-in cable will sound thicker, "warmer" but
at the great expense of lost resolution, clarity and definition.
I've found these easy-to-identify SQ distinctions to hold true on many components, but
admittedly have not tried this with the X20 PRO.

pj

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #288 of 300
I use a BLE design power cord on my x20 pro (no mods), which is great in build quality. You can do a search on eBay, I’d go with their 10 or 12 gauge cords. They have various materials for the plugs: copper, gold, rhodium, etc. The DAC “felt right” compared to the stock cord. There was almost a sense of a blacker background feel to it but then again ymmv. I wouldn’t say I noticed huge differences but every little thing done here and there adds up.

thanks for the reply I will look into that, does the material of the plugs make a difference what should I go for for a bit warmer sound

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #289 of 300
SoundEQ: And a good thing you are not into "modding" the X-20 PRO; there's a guy who's can't
sell his hacked-to-hell X-20 (by a well-known/often used HACK). He's advertised this one wonderful
DAC (now worthless) for he past year -or two.

To your question: Experiment with the Minimum Phase filters/Apodizing (or even Hybrid) to soften
(i.e. ruin ) the sound of the otherwise excellent X20PRO when one of the far superior Linear-Phase/
Brickwall filter choices are chosen.
MP/Apodizing filters severely impair signal speed/transparency, definition and resolution of the X20.

Additionally, If possible, use a quality RCS/RCA (single-ended) IC cable; Wireworld makes some
excellent entry-level priced cable ('Luna' or 'Solstice' 7/8 series) that deftly combine resolving
capability and 'musicality'.

Power the X20PRO (and DAC or CDP actually) separately from the other/amplifying gear.

For a power cord, experiment; not with after-market, but with various stock (thrown-in/
hanging around AC power cable of various thickness (both insulation and #AWG/Gauge)
The LEAST colored/coloration will be a slender aC power cable -with a 'harder' outer
sheathing/Insulation. Thicker/softer throw-in cable will sound thicker, "warmer" but
at the great expense of lost resolution, clarity and definition.
I've found these easy-to-identify SQ distinctions to hold true on many components, but
admittedly have not tried this with the X20 PRO.

pj

Thanks so much for the detailed answer, I am connecting the dac to my amp balanced so no RCA are involved, is that an issue ?

I need just to ask bout what you mean in this point " Power the X20PRO (and DAC or CDP actually) separately from the other/amplifying gear. |

Can you please explain more

Apr 30, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #290 of 300
thanks for the reply I will look into that, does the material of the plugs make a difference what should I go for for a bit warmer sound
Furutech cables works well with Gustard. Gold platted plugs is a 'must'. But you never achieve same great effect without modes.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #291 of 300
Thanks so much for the detailed answer, I am connecting the dac to my amp balanced so no RCA are involved, is that an issue ?

I need just to ask bout what you mean in this point " Power the X20PRO (and DAC or CDP actually) separately from the other/amplifying gear. |

Can you please explain more

SoundEQ: Hello !

1) It is not an issue if an SE/RCA connection is NOT available; many listener's/audiophiles (over the past 20-years)
have rightfully/accurately noted that SE cable to have greater music flow (musicality?) than Balanced connection.
I personally have heard this same thing, time and time again, and, interestingly whether the audio component was
a genuinely Balanced Circuit ! What may account for these (shared) observations I have not investigated.

2) AC Power: For example, let's use a single (dual plug) AC wall outlet. Power the X-20PRO directly into an
available AC socket. All other (audio components/computer etc.) into the other AC socket -using a power bar
extender if required.
The idea is to separate/isolate 'noisy' audio products from the other.

pj

Absolutely.

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #292 of 300
thank u all for the replies

what is mclk mode and what is best to choose
also what is the dsd filter and is best to choose
is it ok to use gain +6 or +12

i have a very high end rca cable

so if anyone can link me a power cable to from ebay that is great to use assuming it can help in adding bit warmth. i never experienced a change using different power cables, only once and it was a huge change when a friend changed stock power cord to another power cord, the change was really big on a audiogd dac/amp, i could not believe the change. it was night and day difference. the stock power chord was giving a flat sound, boring, but when he changed the power cord it really made the sound full and dynamic it was huge change. but that was dac/amp, i do not know if x20 would benefit the same effect as its just a dac

when you mentioned bout using different ac outlets, which do u think is more noisy the amp or dac in general

as for filter on pcd i am using apoidizing filter

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #293 of 300
thank u all for the replies

what is mclk mode and what is best to choose
also what is the dsd filter and is best to choose
is it ok to use gain +6 or +12

i have a very high end rca cable

so if anyone can link me a power cable to from ebay that is great to use assuming it can help in adding bit warmth. i never experienced a change using different power cables, only once and it was a huge change when a friend changed stock power cord to another power cord, the change was really big on a audiogd dac/amp, i could not believe the change. it was night and day difference. the stock power chord was giving a flat sound, boring, but when he changed the power cord it really made the sound full and dynamic it was huge change. but that was dac/amp, i do not know if x20 would benefit the same effect as its just a dac

when you mentioned bout using different ac outlets, which do u think is more noisy the amp or dac in general

as for filter on pcd i am using apoidizing filter

.... I'd say the DAC would be 'noisier'.

AC power cord selection has proven a vital consideration in my experience. Without having to
spend a 'dime' (unless you don't have any spare (throw-in) AC power cords, simply find both
a thicker (lower gauge # i.e. #12/14, and/or one with a thicker jacket/covering), and then find/use
a thin (thinnest you can find lying around -#16/#18 gauge ) -and listen.
My experience has consistently revealed the thinner AC power cable to sound best -and by far.
Although, that's up to the individual listener to decide.

In either case, the take-away would be:
A) Is there a clear, audible distinction (between the two), and
B) What/which one sounds more musical; open, clear,"fast" -entertaining, and natural ?

From there, tread carefully before spending large sums; you'd be much better served with
a Balanced/Symmetrical AC power supply (i.e. 'Equi=tech') for use with digital audio components
-in fact, any/all audio components. Better yet, a (low power/300-watt) AC Re-generator for digital
and/or sources only. The improvements in sound from CD/DAC's powered by a clean 'supply' is
enormous. (Audiophile can look for used Balanced AC units (Blue Circle MR-800/1200/1800 Watt,
Exact Power (SP-15a/SP-15X4) and several others that unfortunately are no longer manufactured.
Only when/if these steps are taken, would it be recommended to consider a premium AC power
cord.

pj
P.S. I believed you would be using a MP-style digital filter ('Apodizing' would be one type of
Minimum Phase filter -the others (on X20PRO) = MP slow, Fast and, Hybrid? )
Personally, i dislike ANY MP filter -Linear Phase being FAR more clear, articulate, accurate/
engaging, dynamic , entertaining -musical. Every CD (or song) has a unique 'sound' with LP
filters, something completely obscured by Minimum Phase filters -to the point of being
un-listenable. )

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #294 of 300
Just to reiterate on my earlier post, I have received Chord Qute HD (yes, the 5+ years ld model)

The only potential problem is that it makes me wonder how the Dave and the new Hugo 2 sound like... :)

My friend who has Hugo and TT got Hugo 2 and said it sounds awful in comparison to the original version.

Qute HD is indeed nice by the way – I went for it since could not find 2Qute for affordable price.

Aug 4, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #297 of 300
Any inexpensive mods that can be done on this device? Thanks
What do you find off about the device? Is it more of a hobby thing? I just don’t buy into the tin foil mods going around but if it works why not? It’s spendy though.
It measures great already. The build is great…maybe switching out caps with higher quality ones would be fun. Audio grade fuses (inaudible but fun).
But a Singxer su-1 via AES (balanced) seems to give this DAC a very resolving and layered and airy feel…unfortunately it’s incremental but strengthening the signature of this device is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back