Gustard X20pro DAC (ES9028Pro)
Apr 27, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #256 of 300
I did a lot of test, and meanwhile found what was wrong in setting. The driver is not named the same in last releases. If DSD is improving, no so sure.

iBut I wonder if something is not wrong with the Dac. I used several computers, with foobar, ok mostly Jriver. When I use my oppo player 93, output in bitstream, thru Coax, the sound is much more to my liking then using a computer and the USb card of the Gustard.
It lacks power and bass, especially in the the real low frequencies. My Oppo is much lusher, warm and seems to have much more powerful sound. The usb input seems like it is compressed a bit, I miss attack. In fact the oppo plays perfectly on it, not feel to change anything.

But I not want an Oppo as source. Not gapeless, no good app to pilotit and search on files on my tablet. Not convenient. So I am looking for a solution, not understand why USB input is nor perfect.. Must say, I had some other dacs with Usb input, and had always the feeling something was missing......

Apr 30, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #257 of 300
It will be difficult to help you remotely.

I understand that when you use the optical (or coax) output of the Oppo to feed the Gustar, the sound is ok, right? Which means basically the Gustard satisfies you, correct?

So, it's only with the USB that you have an issue, and you seem to be saying that you always had an issue with the USB. So that's where you need to look at. Maybe the cable is not adapted (too long?) or your computer is doing something to the signal prior to send it through the USB (downsample for instance?). If it is software issue, you might want to start from scratch (with ASIO driver), remove all drivers and start again to be sure everything is setup the recommended way.

On my side, USB entry plays the same, I can't make any audible difference.

Cheers

May 1, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #258 of 300
I did a lot of tests lately. Against a classic Accuphase. At first you think the resolution of the Gustard is better, and more lively. But I used a Chesky test disc to compare. And honestly, even if the Accuphase can sound dull at times, there is more detail in the Gustard, the Accuphase has a much better attack and things look thinner on the gustard. Much more music in the Accuphase. I not discuss the sound stage, that can look better on the Gustard, but is more involving on the Accuphase, that also hit harder.

I am aware on first listening, many would prefer the Gustard, but "timbre" is much more realistic on the Accuphase. It does sound more analogue, and not everybody 's cup of tea, but taste can be different, but I prefer Musical, to spectacular soundstage.

May 1, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #259 of 300
Ah ok, so that's a different story then.
I did not listen to the Gustard X20Pro. I own the former X20 and I'm happy with it.
I have no doubts that an Accuphase has a very different "representation" of the music. No one will argue that you might prefer an Accuphase to a Gustard or the opposite. Well, at least no me.

But we are far from an USB issue. Completely different discussion, here, right? :)

May 2, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #260 of 300
Just wondering, are there any shop in hong kong selling Gustard product?
I'm going to visit hk in couple of weeks so might just take the opportunity to snatch one while I'm there. :p

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #261 of 300
I have just purchased a Singxer SU-1 with a view to getting my Gustard X20u to process DSD512. Unfortunately I can only get DSD256. When I try and process DSD512 it switches to 'unlock'. Is there a component I can upgrade in the Gustard (eg. internal clock) which would enable DSD512. Note when turning on it once 'flashed' DSD512 but quickly resorted to 'unlock'.

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #263 of 300
Firmware is 2.02 and I'm using daphile.

I am upsampling on my topping d50 and smsl m8a and based on some of the gustard x20u discussions it seems it is possible, makes a difference and is desirable. I prefer DSD up sampling on sabre chips!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #264 of 300
Ah ok, so that's a different story then.
I did not listen to the Gustard X20Pro. I own the former X20 and I'm happy with it.
I have no doubts that an Accuphase has a very different "representation" of the music. No one will argue that you might prefer an Accuphase to a Gustard or the opposite. Well, at least no me.

But we are far from an USB issue. Completely different discussion, here, right? :)

Great points(s). I wonder if the Accuphase is a current Gen? many listener's confuse a 'ripe' bottom-end (bass power) for superiority -when in fact often times it's heavily 'colored' -LF colorations. If you/one cannot follow (for example) bass guitar riffs that is clearly defined (and track-able), assuming good cable and power, the un-resolving unit/DAC (typically older gen. models) is the proble.
It's unwise to mistake "ripe" with ideal, resolving, accurate or even preferable, particularly what a highly resolving (and musical) DAC brings to the table -a flow of music where every element (20-20) can be 'tracked/followed' for it's this type of 'high-resolution' that Hi-Fi is all about.

Nothing wrong with 'less resolving' equipment, but we should remind ourselves that BIG money is NOT necessary to attain it (i.e. Accuphase pricing)

pj

Oct 7, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #267 of 300
The sound quality improvement.
When you change this...

To this...

It is really wort to try, but even if you buy blind you wont regret.

After few days of test I already ordered my own. For Gustard sound quality is level up upgrade. Definitely wort the money.
The sound quality improvement.
When you change this...

To this...

It is really wort to try, but even if you buy blind you wont regret.

After few days of test I already ordered my own. For Gustard sound quality is level up upgrade. Definitely wort the money.

i must agree. Although a "newcomer" to computer audio/Streaming, the learning/observations come fast/furious !
Case in point, as this reply says; the USB Input of the X-20 PRO has proven a weal-link.
In fact, only until very recently (4-weeks now), I was using the USB "IN" on my X20pro, but then stumbled upon a used Gustard U-12 (spdif converter) and wondered upon the available i2S digital connection; OMG -what a considerable improvement. And using only a AQ Forest HDMi cable !

The poster here is showing the clearly superior Singxer SU-1(?). But do use the i2S connection.

It was also mentioned (way back in this thread) that X-20 sounds much better when/if the USB board is removed . Can anyone speak to this -confirm/support ?

pj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back