Gustard X20pro DAC (ES9028Pro)
Feb 4, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #241 of 300
foobar2000 or other similar programs that play DSD files are only to identify your issue, whether it lies in JRiver or somewhere else.

I reinstalled my usual computer (less powerful). Again, DoP Works on this one, most of the time, but i have to select speakers : 2 - Xmos XS1 - U 8 MFA (ST) (Wasapi)

Considering from the fact that you could select only WASAPI, I wonder if you have selected Windows Audio Class 2.0 driver unintentionally, which appeared in Creators update in last autumn.
ASIO drivers appear in the menu of JRiver audio output regardless of their real availability, once they have been installed.
Do you see Kernel Streaming XMOS XS1-U8 MFA (ST)? If not, Windows default driver has been selected, and DAC-X20PRO may not function properly.

You must be able to select Kernel Streaming, but selecting ASIO XMOS XS1-U8 MFA (ST) is better.
Selecting ASIO while you see no Kernel Streaming does not make sense, as ASIO does not work in this case.
Upload the screen shot of Device Manager: [Sound, Video & Game Controller] and [Audio Input & Output]

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #242 of 300
foobar2000 or other similar programs that play DSD files are only to identify your issue, whether it lies in JRiver or somewhere else.

Considering from the fact that you could select only WASAPI, I wonder if you have selected Windows Audio Class 2.0 driver unintentionally, which appeared in Creators update in last autumn.
ASIO drivers appear in the menu of JRiver audio output regardless of their real availability, once they have been installed.
Do you see Kernel Streaming XMOS XS1-U8 MFA (ST)? If not, Windows default driver has been selected, and DAC-X20PRO may not function properly.

You must be able to select Kernel Streaming, but selecting ASIO XMOS XS1-U8 MFA (ST) is better.
Selecting ASIO while you see no Kernel Streaming does not make sense, as ASIO does not work in this case.
Upload the screen shot of Device Manager: [Sound, Video & Game Controller] and [Audio Input & Output]

I do use that driver you mention? I increased the buffer, and used another usb port and until now, just plays fine. But strange enough, not manage on more powerful computer. I got now right driver and if time try now true DSD with foobar tomorrow. Thanks for your efforts all.

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #243 of 300
The following is what I understand so far about DAC-X20(U) and DAC-X20PRO(U).

(3) combination with Singxer SU-1 via HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD
PCM up to 384kHz
DSD raw up to DSD512 <--(I confirm.)
DoP up to DoP256 <--(I confirm.)
official driver 4.36, firmware V2.22

I wish i could confirm "DSD raw up to DSD512" too. Roon shows the playback info as 512DSD through HQPlayer but x20pro display just shows random display rates.. So i can't be sure. It was Quadmans post about how good the 512dsd sounds on Gustard that made me buy the x20pro and sinxger in the first place. Almost a year now with no real success on dsd512 playback with this dac. For me at least.

Feb 5, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #244 of 300
I think I never be a Foobar freak. I got the driver that allows native DSD, Got the SACD decoder, DSDIFF Decoder, . Whatever settings I do, the PCM will get out except what has been real dsd. I include some screen shots. Aside of the driver I got that also works on the Gustard, I have thos now of course in J River too, ther is a DSDtranscoder under ASIO. When I select this one in Jriver, it does DSD, but in Foobar, I only get with SACD if the file is originaly DSD.

Capture 1 Foo.PNG
Capture2foo.PNG
Capture3foo.PNG
Capture4foo.PNG

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #246 of 300
I got all the drivers when installing FOO, but I see all my drivers (also from FIIO), but none called foo_asio_dsd. It is in installed features, when I delete it, the other asio drivers are all gone.

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #249 of 300
Roon shows the playback info as 512DSD through HQPlayer but x20pro display just shows random display rates.
That is a Pro issue, the non-pro x20 does show DSD512 when played with su-1 as described. It is assumed that the pro is also playing DSD512 but for some reason the display is not stable at this rate and flashed random #'s. The 9018 chip handles 512 and surely the 9028 can. Once I lost the ability to play 512 with my USB/I2S card I was using I got myself a T+A dac and have zero issues with 512 playback. I am addicted to512 and have now taken the SQ further up the chain with better hardware and software optimization the sound is simply stunning.

@indieke have you tried the industry standard HQ Player they offer a free trial and the software can be bought from a third party for around 90 Euro's, you loose remote control with a phone or iPad device but couple it with roon and you are back in full remote control business, or just use roon which is also capable of DSD512 up sampling. I have never used footer or Jriver.

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #250 of 300
I not know roon wel. WHat is weird sinceI installedthe other driverI have the option of DSD transcoder. That works also in Jriver. I will see what other options I have, but for moment, it seems to play although the unit still displays DSD 5.64

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #252 of 300
According to your description, you may consider to put a dedicated usb bridge, such as Singxer SU-1, between your computer and you Gustard DAC, and you might be surprised by Gustard's hidden potential. Connecting the usb bridge to the Gustard DAC via the IS2 interface might be better way.
I guess you have tried, right? If that's the case, can you provide us with a short review (my apologies if you've already done it).
Since the Singxer SU-1 represents 40 to 50% of the cost of the X22/X20, does it make such a difference?

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #253 of 300
I guess you have tried, right? If that's the case, can you provide us with a short review (my apologies if you've already done it).
Since the Singxer SU-1 represents 40 to 50% of the cost of the X22/X20, does it make such a difference?

Yes, I tried it. In fact, I am using it. I do not know how to describe it, but using my x20 with and without the Singxer SU-1 is very different. With SU-1, X20 sounds cleaner, smoother, the female sounds more clear.

Of course, I do not think it can improve the X20 40%-50% because X20 itself is already good. However, in this hobby, any obviously appreciable improvement is good for me.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #255 of 300
I got all the drivers when installing FOO, but I see all my drivers (also from FIIO), but none called foo_asio_dsd. It is in installed features, when I delete it, the other asio drivers are all gone.

These are what I did in foobar2000 to upsample my CD wave files to DSD256 or DSD512:

1. Download the SACD Plugin from:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_input_sacd/

2. Install "foo_dsd_processor.fb2k-component" and "foo_input_sacd.fb2k-component" in the downloaded package.

3. Install "DSDTranscoderInstall-1.0.10.exe" in the downloaded package.

4. In foobar2000: File->Preferences->Playback->Output->Device:

Choose "DSD:ASIO:DSD Transcode (DoP/Native)

1.png

5. In foobar2000: File->Preferences->Playback->Output->ASIO->ASIO drivers

Double click "DSD Transcode (DoP/Native)"

The DSD Transcoder windows will open

6. The DSD Transcoder windows

Choose the ADIO device according to your hardware
Choose all the "Samplerate" to DSD provided your hardware can handle DSD, not just DOP

2.png

7. In foobar2000: File->Preferences->Playback->Tools->SACD->DSD Processor:

Choose "DSD Processor"
3.png

8. In foobar2000: File->Preferences->Playback->Tools->DSD Processor:

Mark "Use DSD Processor"
Choose DSD rates for the inputs to be upsampled

4.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back