Gustard X20pro DAC (ES9028Pro)
Jan 11, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #211 of 300
I cannot understand that through usb, with bytes, 0 and 1 it can sound and be different then connecting by cinch.
There is not such things like 0 and 1 inside of cable. Electricity flow through the conductor always same way - analog!

Based on signal level It is interpreted as "0" or "1" by transmiter/emiter. But electricity is electricity. No difference what signal type is.

Jan 11, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #212 of 300
There is not such things like 0 and 1 inside of cable. Electricity flow through the conductor always same way - analog!

Based on signal level It is interpreted as "0" or "1" by transmiter/emiter. But electricity is electricity. No difference what signal type is.

Ok but why is is less thin, has more present bass and sounds more analog, by cinch?

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #215 of 300
Remember that standard PC/MAC computer is poor source of audio files. Computer require lots of optimizations to start "sound" proper.

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #216 of 300
I have a problem, I not understand. I read all my music from my hard disc. It is attached to my small Acer computer. All is read without problems, no drop outs connecting it through USB.

BUT, I put the harddisc on my OPPO 93, which is not so audiophile as the 95 and newer models. But connected through cinch on the Gustard, the sound is better then from computer. I cannot understand that through usb, with bytes, 0 and 1 it can sound and be different then connecting by cinch.

When I play from usb, sound is very transparent, staging is very good. But it sounds sometimes a bit too thin, and more digital. With connection through the Oppo, on first listening it is not that different. But the longer you listen, it is obvious that the sound has more grip in bass, sound more live (usb thinner bass and less 3d), and I have less digital edge, sound just slightly warmer, that makes you feel more involved. Feeling more "being there", when with usb it feels like I have electrostatic speakers instead of my B&W 800 D.

Not understand this, how is this possible. Somebody an explanation?

You might be having problems with RF noise contamination coming from the computer, the symptom being the sound thinning out with the loss of bass extension. If you have a SPDIF connection on the computer give that a try, this is becoming less common as time goes on.
SPDIF on the Gustard is isolated via the Pulse transformers, you can see them right next to the SPDIF inputs if you open the top cover, this greatly reduces the RF noise coming into the DAC.
Injecting RF noise into the 9028 affects its ability to perform the digital to analog conversion.

Isolating the USB input externally is relatively costly, devices such as the Uptone ISO Regen is about 30% of the X20's cost.

You are correct on the point that the data streams being 1's and 0's however both USB and SPDIF are serial interfaces, there are 2 streams, audio data and the clock data combined into 1 physical stream.
This has to be separated at the receiver, the ability of which determines the final sound quality, clock recovery is particularly important as it determines the jitter of the signal feeding the DAC chip (9028).
The lower the jitter the less work the 9028 has to do to clean it up.

SPDIF came out in the late 1970s, USB 2.0 asynch mode in the late 2000's, the intervening 30 years has allowed for improvements in areas such as clock recovery than is mandated in order to meet the USB 2.0 spec, the makes the requirements quite lax in relative terms for SPDIF so most manufacturers to not spend the time to make SPDIF better, and you were able to pick out the sound quality differences.

This problem of SPDIF sounding better than USB is not unique to Gustard, Schiit recently introduced their Gen V USB input card for their DACS which provided RF isolation after numerous complaints which included their top of the line R2R Yggdrasil dac. The new card fixed most of the sound difference issues and finally allowed the performance potential of USB to be realized.

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #217 of 300
According to your description, you may consider to put a dedicated usb bridge, such as Singxer SU-1, between your computer and you Gustard DAC, and you might be surprised by Gustard's hidden potential. Connecting the usb bridge to the Gustard DAC via the IS2 interface might be better way.

I have a problem, I not understand. I read all my music from my hard disc. It is attached to my small Acer computer. All is read without problems, no drop outs connecting it through USB.

BUT, I put the harddisc on my OPPO 93, which is not so audiophile as the 95 and newer models. But connected through cinch on the Gustard, the sound is better then from computer. I cannot understand that through usb, with bytes, 0 and 1 it can sound and be different then connecting by cinch.

When I play from usb, sound is very transparent, staging is very good. But it sounds sometimes a bit too thin, and more digital. With connection through the Oppo, on first listening it is not that different. But the longer you listen, it is obvious that the sound has more grip in bass, sound more live (usb thinner bass and less 3d), and I have less digital edge, sound just slightly warmer, that makes you feel more involved. Feeling more "being there", when with usb it feels like I have electrostatic speakers instead of my B&W 800 D.

Not understand this, how is this possible. Somebody an explanation?

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #218 of 300
Can someone point me to the latest and best driver? Not sure I got latest. In dsd in DOP got some issues sometimes, using Jriver. If someone could other settings were DSD works without DoP, that would be nice too.

I am not willing to again invest in an usb interface. The unit plays more analog with DSD and sound good enough for me. THe PCM is ok, but just sound not so analog.

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #219 of 300
Can someone point me to the latest and best driver? Not sure I got latest. In dsd in DOP got some issues sometimes, using Jriver. If someone could other settings were DSD works without DoP, that would be nice too.

I am not willing to again invest in an usb interface. The unit plays more analog with DSD and sound good enough for me. THe PCM is ok, but just sound not so analog.

I don't think it's a driver issue. The X20 only does DoP. IIRC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back