Gustard X16 MQA DAC
May 13, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #61 of 201
Since my actual "stack" is X16 --> Headamp GS-X Mini --> ZMZ Verite open, the X16 could be a "weak" point in my chain.
I'm still trying to figure out if a R2R DAC (like the Denafrips Ares II) could give me more instead of a 'simple' upgrade to X26 or another comparable delta sigma.

Yes, I really appreciate X16 and that's not helping this :wink:
I have a GSX mini and X-16 too. I'm keeping the X-16 for now and have ordered Denafrips Pontus II.
Let's see how the Pontus does against the X16!

Chibs

May 13, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #62 of 201
I have a GSX mini and X-16 too. I'm keeping the X-16 for now and have ordered Denafrips Pontus II.
Let's see how the Pontus does against the X16!

Chibs

Damn you're my hero! Keep us informed man!

May 13, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #65 of 201
Just to make things even worse for you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: . I went from X16 to Ares II. I couldn't get on with the ear piercing glare of the X16. Ares II is a much better for me. It's really in a different league.

May 14, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #66 of 201
Just to make things even worse for you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: . I went from X16 to Ares II. I couldn't get on with the ear piercing glare of the X16. Ares II is a much better for me. It's really in a different league.
LOL :deadhorse:

Probably it depends on the headphones!
With my Empy and my ZMF Auteur, the X16 is really wonderful.

May 19, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #68 of 201
Got my Pontus II
Took it out of the box, set it up, and began to listen with my favourite headphones.

C1CB16EC-81C6-4CFB-913A-DC2ABFAD3289.jpeg

Not going to sugar coat this. I immediately noticed it sounds like total $hit. Static grainy garbage. :poop::rage::poop:
Read the manual and figured out how to turn oversampling off. Okay, that made a difference. Now it just sounded bad.
Frustrated, I left it on with music playing through my headphones and walked away for a bit. I remembered reading that an R2R dac needs to be left on for a while to warm up. Fine, maybe it will sound better in a bit. Came back later and noticed in my Mac Mini audio midi setup it said it was playing at 32 bits. That's not right. I was unable to switch it to 24. Installed the proper drivers on my windows 10 machine and plugged that in. Was able to set 192 Khz @ 24 bit. Empy's back on my head and noticed an improvement. Listened for a couple of hours and feel SQ is just okay. Sent Alvin from Vinshine Audio a message with my concerns and he explained that "it needs to be plugged in 10 days for critical listening" Reading this my jaw sort of dropped. Left it streaming all night and listening now. Sounds better than last night so I guess thats the nature of this beast of a dac. So weird, my RME ADI 2 Dac and Gustard X-16 was just plug in and go, no change in SQ. Rookie mistake I guess. Soooo guess I'm going to hang tough for 9 more days before possibly reaching audio nirvana? We'll see.

Chibs

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #69 of 201
Sent Alvin from Vinshine Audio a message with my concerns and he explained that "it needs to be plugged in 10 days for critical listening"
The question for me is, what should happen in an electric circuit in 10 Days, to let the music sound better?

May 19, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #71 of 201
@Chibs be fast please!
My X16 needs to stop playing "should i stay or should i go" ^_^

May 19, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #72 of 201
@Chibs be fast please!
My X16 needs to stop playing "should i stay or should i go" ^_^
I'll do my best Sir!
It's sounding much better now but the paint still isn't dry. Wish I could fast forward 9 days and give you a definitive answer. Nahhhhh, just listened to some Lou Reed, Blood Sweat and Tears, CSNY and now Cream. Big smile is a good sign.
zxzw1.jpg

This is fun!
Chibs

May 20, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #73 of 201
@Chibs 28 hours have passed, news? :wink:
You know, you have me on your conscience

(this situation makes me laught like a child)

Jun 2, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #75 of 201
Team X16 / SA-1 checking in. (Ordered this morning, the wait is going to be brutal). Upgrading from a Mimby / Vali 2 Schiit Stack which served me well over the years, but it’s time to move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back