Gustard X16 MQA DAC
Feb 18, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #16 of 201
How would you compare this DAC to your RME? In previous generations, I liked the ESS DACs much less, and am super happy with my two RME ADI-2 FS. Needing a third DAC for the work office setup, but not needing all the features of RME, considering Gustard A16 vs A18 as economical but high quality options.
Have not A/B'd the 2 dacs and honestly not sure I would be able to hear a difference anyway. Having said that, really enjoying the X16 so far. Not sure I can hear that "Sabre glare" people talk about when referring to older sabre chips. Streaming Tidal, I now have the benefit of MQA decoding that RME lacs. My screen set to "Auto off" just like it is on the RME. The cool thing here is when bitrate changes, the screen comes back on momentarily to show what it's at. Your ADI 2 Dac is very different beast. Such an awesome, quality amp/dac but you already know that.
If you just want a cheep (ish) well measuring option to add to your audio equipment, I can't fault you choosing the X16.

Chibs

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #24 of 201
I wonder how this stacks up against X-Sabre Pro, with that price difference.

Totally, would love to see if there’s a discernible difference.
If Gustard manage to make this sound close or equal to the X-Sabre Pro, I really don't see the point of buying the later. Especially that these are both modern Sabre DACs. Unless it is R2R that bring something different to the table that is not apple-to-apple.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #25 of 201
If Gustard manage to make this sound close or equal to the X-Sabre Pro, I really don't see the point of buying the later. Especially that these are both modern Sabre DACs. Unless it is R2R that bring something different to the table that is not apple-to-apple.

Then you have Youtubers Like Zeos reviewing super expensive dacs like Holo May and saying there's absolutely no difference..
This is such a confusing hobby sometimes.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #26 of 201
Then you have Youtubers Like Zeos reviewing super expensive dacs like Holo May and saying there's absolutely no difference..
This is such a confusing hobby sometimes.
Don't take Z's opinions too seriously. DACs are harder to discern differences, but there are differences.

This hobby is nuts anyway, chasing little differences. Not recommended for sane peeps. I went from $3000 cans back to the old trusty HD650/600.

This DAC seems good on paper. Hope it sounds as good.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #27 of 201
Don't take Z's opinions too seriously. DACs are harder to discern differences, but there are differences.

This hobby is nuts anyway, chasing little differences. Not recommended for sane peeps. I went from $3000 cans back to the old trusty HD650/600.

This DAC seems good on paper. Hope it sounds as good.
Let me know what you think.

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #28 of 201
I have the monolith 887 and I'm thinking about getting the Gustard x16. Also considering the SMSL SU-9. I might have use for bluetooth occasionally, can anyone comment on the bluetooth with either of the DACs I mentioned?

Mar 29, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #30 of 201
@Chibs Mind sharing where you purchased your acrylic desktop rack?! I can't seem to find one that size - love your setup!

Also, I just ordered the X16 and Singxer SA-1 - will this be a good combo to drive Aeon Open X? They are only 13 ohms so I need a lot of power. I also read that the SA-1 likes higher voltage - will the X16 @ ~4V be sufficient/ideal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back