Gustard X16 MQA DAC
Apr 15, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #46 of 201
Chibs, you just gave me the final push to *stop* lusting over the RME, thank you. I just wouldn’t use its functions either and am very happy with the X16 just “getting out of the way”, although I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t intrigued to upgrade to the X26Pro.
X16 also pairs great with SA-1.
You and me both. There's always something better though. How much better would thX26 Pro actually sound if you could AB them properly? Suppose you get the X26 and start kicking yourself you didn't get the Matrix Xsaber pro or a more expensive R2R dac like Holo May. I think a more noticeable upgrade would be different headphones. Eyeballing Meze Emperyan :L3000:right now.

I appreciate the ADI for what it is and still use it in conjunction with my Thx AAA789, Xbox, and HD800s. Amazing combo for gaming.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #47 of 201
You and me both. There's always something better though. How much better would thX26 Pro actually sound if you could AB them properly? Suppose you get the X26 and start kicking yourself you didn't get the Matrix Xsaber pro or a more expensive R2R dac like Holo May. I think a more noticeable upgrade would be different headphones. Eyeballing Meze Emperyan :L3000:right now.

I appreciate the ADI for what it is and still use it in conjunction with my Thx AAA789, Xbox, and HD800s. Amazing combo for gaming.
Right on man. I think the X26 Pro will probably give more soundstage and overall doesn’t lack anything over the X16, simply gains everywhere. I know it’s a premium but I wouldn’t ever buy anything more and that’s a flagship product, so I think it would actually do me over and let me focus on acquiring more cans instead of gear. Dunno!

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #48 of 201
Right on man. I think the X26 Pro will probably give more soundstage and overall doesn’t lack anything over the X16, simply gains everywhere. I know it’s a premium but I wouldn’t ever buy anything more and that’s a flagship product, so I think it would actually do me over and let me focus on acquiring more cans instead of gear. Dunno!
famous last words. Something better is always on the horizon. Question is, will you be tempted and act on them?

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #49 of 201

Right on man. I think the X26 Pro will probably give more soundstage and overall doesn’t lack anything over the X16, simply gains everywhere. I know it’s a premium but I wouldn’t ever buy anything more and that’s a flagship product, so I think it would actually do me over and let me focus on acquiring more cans instead of gear. Dunno
famous last words. Something better is always on the horizon. Question is, will you be tempted and act on them?
no, as I think I may end up the victim of a spousal homicide in that case...

Apr 20, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #50 of 201
I have my X16 connected to a Singxer SA-1 and was playing with the NOS setting. It seemed that when NOS is off, the highs seem to be more sparkly and brighter and when on, it seems to remove them or mute them some. Is this only me? Mostly have only used CD quality music and a few DSD files. IT seems to affect cymbals and bells the most or at least those are where I notice the affect the most. I was using Sundara HP.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #52 of 201
Our X16 review is also online now. An article by @Aerosphere

https://www.headfonia.com/gustard-x16-review/

gustard-x16-review-5.jpg

May 4, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #53 of 201
For me, the X16 is perfectly fine. I only spent $424 on it. The X26 Pro is about $1500. Not sure it is even a fair comparison. For my office setup and me personally, I think it is fantastic. For me, the X26 is more than 3X the price. For my use and budget, I am not sure I could ever afford the X26. In the X16 price bracket (<$500), I think it performs very well and maybe slightly above. I find this DAC to have great detail and nice sparkle which is something most audio devices I have owned to lack. Paired with my SA-1, I find it improved the bass in my Sundara a bit. Sure, none of the audio gear I own were of this caliber and this is my first foray into HP audiophilia.

Sure, the X26 might be better but I wonder is it always noticeable in all cases? Is it only really noticeable when you A/B them or is it so large that it sticks out like a sore thumb?

Maybe I should never listen to one so I will never know what I am missing. When I got the X16, wow what a difference over a Blu-ray player and an old stereo receiver. Now, I can never go back. Innocence has been lost.

I have a feeling the X16 get you to the 90-95% of great sound and it takes bigger jumps in spending to close that final gap.

Enjoy the X16. I know I am.

May 4, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #54 of 201
Do you prefer the sound of the X16 with NOS on or off?
Not sure which I prefer. I wonder if the testers toggled it. With it off, it does get bright but I find I get more detail. With it on, it sounds like I am listening to a cassette that lacks highs. The cymbal hits do not sound as real.

Not sure but I also feel like while I was listening to Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen, if I changed the PCM filter the cymbals rang shortest on H-fast, moderately on L-Fast and the longest on M-slow. I also think the volume of the cymbal hits seems slightly louder as you progress that order. Maybe I am just nuts.

Thoughts???

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #55 of 201
Do you prefer the sound of the X16 with NOS on or off?
Not sure which I prefer. I wonder if the testers toggled it. With it off, it does get bright but I find I get more detail. With it on, it sounds like I am listening to a cassette that lacks highs. The cymbal hits do not sound as real.

Not sure but I also feel like while I was listening to Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen, if I changed the PCM filter the cymbals rang shortest on H-fast, moderately on L-Fast and the longest on M-slow. I also think the volume of the cymbal hits seems slightly louder as you progress that order. Maybe I am just nuts.

Thoughts???
same, off position is better sound in clarity.

May 13, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #57 of 201
Since my actual "stack" is X16 --> Headamp GS-X Mini --> ZMZ Verite open, the X16 could be a "weak" point in my chain.
I'm still trying to figure out if a R2R DAC (like the Denafrips Ares II) could give me more instead of a 'simple' upgrade to X26 or another comparable delta sigma.

Yes, I really appreciate X16 and that's not helping this :wink:

May 13, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #58 of 201
Since my actual "stack" is X16 --> Headamp GS-X Mini --> ZMZ Verite open, the X16 could be a "weak" point in my chain.
I'm still trying to figure out if a R2R DAC (like the Denafrips Ares II) could give me more instead of a 'simple' upgrade to X26 or another comparable delta sigma.

You have the headphones I’d like to try and I have the X26pro that I’m confident would give you some more depth :)

May 13, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #59 of 201

Salute,
maybe it will help you if I tell you that I switched from the Ares2 to the X16 and that I don't regret it for a second.
Gustard U16 -> X16 -> Pro iCAN -> ZMF Auteur -> :heart_eyes: :L3000: :heart_eyes:

May 13, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #60 of 201
maybe it will help you if I tell you that I switched from the Ares2 to the X16 and that I don't regret it for a second.

that makes things complicate :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back