Gustard X16 MQA DAC
Mar 29, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #31 of 201
@Chibs Mind sharing where you purchased your acrylic desktop rack?! I can't seem to find one that size - love your setup!

Also, I just ordered the X16 and Singxer SA-1 - will this be a good combo to drive Aeon Open X? They are only 13 ohms so I need a lot of power. I also read that the SA-1 likes higher voltage - will the X16 @ ~4V be sufficient/ideal?

It's two glass monitor stands stacked up together.
Here you go
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B079FPT1VX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #33 of 201
@Chibs Mind sharing where you purchased your acrylic desktop rack?! I can't seem to find one that size - love your setup!

Also, I just ordered the X16 and Singxer SA-1 - will this be a good combo to drive Aeon Open X? They are only 13 ohms so I need a lot of power. I also read that the SA-1 likes higher voltage - will the X16 @ ~4V be sufficient/ideal?
Have no idea on the pairing with the headphones but I heard someone in another forum say it was a good pairing dac /amp. I have the same pair on order but only have a pair of Sundara to use with them at the moment. Still shopping for a more rock centric HP to go with this stack.

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #36 of 201

I am considering this combination myself. I would love to hear your comments.

Apr 13, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #38 of 201
Mine came in from Shenzhen, China on Friday. That was Chinese new year ironically. :darthsmile:
Took 3 days to Canada via DHL. At this point it's much faster to order stuff from China than the USA which is so weird!!

D8AF3B78-9183-44E8-B23C-8408430E21DF.jpeg
The remote takes 2 AAA batteries not included and the power cable is way to short to be useful. Luckily, I had an other longer one from a PC that sat close enough to a power source I could swap. The USB cable is a good length and adequate which is more than I could say for the one that originally came with my RME dac, (defective on arrival).

06F9CBC7-838C-4470-BC9A-DD6700BC2BC9.jpeg

Downloaded drivers from Shenzhenaudio and plugged it in.
DC4BCD7C-AA29-482F-9E31-6F94E2651325.jpeg

Boom, works. No surprises, complicated manuals, or controls. Everything seems to work and now I have MQA on my Desktop :)
Have not attempted Bluetooth yet, I can't think of a scenario where I need wireless. My System sounds fantastic!

Chibs
Can you compare it to your RME ADI-2 Dac?

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #39 of 201
I am considering this combination myself. I would love to hear your comments.
Hello again - both my X16 and SA-1 arrived (had the X16 already but it's a long story). I can't comment the same way that many audiophiles could about sound signature but here're a few things:
- everyting you have heard about the quality of the sound (to my ear) is true - it is fantastic and there is plenty of detail, although not having anything above this price to compare would lead me to caution you to take my word with a grain of salt.
- everything you have heard about the Low-Z/Hi-Z switch is true --> it behaves differently on each headphone and flipping it to Hi-Z really just softens the top end and brings down the intensity a bit. I *think* I prefer it on my Elegias, which are 35ohm (4.4mm or XLR balanced via Hart Audio cables - no sound difference I can tell) but Low-Z on my Aeon Open X, which are a mere 13ohm and need lots of power.
- overall quality of build is great, but I wish the front toggle switches were better. Volume knob is fine and for my desktop use, I have no issues identifying where it is, even in low light.
- everything else works as it should and it genuinely seems well-built

My entire setup is PC (Tidal MQA/Deezer/Spotify) -> AQ Carbon USB -> Gustard X16 (w/ AQ NRG-Y3 power cable) -> Hart Audio XLR interconnects -> Singxer SA-1 (w/ AQ NRG-Y3 power cable) -> Hart Audio cable system -> Focal Elegias / Aeon Open Xs

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #42 of 201
I think it comes with the latest. ShenzhenAudio download site would have it if one is available.
https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/#Gustard_x16/1

there are 5.0.0 drivers and a manual but nothing about firmware changes
thanks..btw how to check which fw installed in X16, i have tried to hold the centre button while powering on, shown some figures but I dont think it is the fw version..

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #43 of 201
Since I have a very limited audio collection and wanted to test out the DAC, I went to this page to download some:
http://dsdmaster.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

I installed Foobar2000 and went to SourceForge to get the SACD component which I installed to support DSF files

They list a DSF file which I then tried to play and all I got was static.

Can the DAC play DSF files when played by Foobar2000?

What settings do I use?

What do I set the output mode to: PCM, DSD or PCM + DSD? Can you take a screenshot of what works with this DAC?

This is what I have but I do not thing it is correct:
1618503990228.png

When I set the output to DSD or DSD + PCM, the DAC shows DSD 2.8mHz but all I get is static.

I have no idea what any of the settings on that page mean or what they should be set to.

Help!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #44 of 201
Can you compare it to your RME ADI-2 Dac?
I don't have the means to properly AB them for an opinion on sound.
Having said that both sound great! - Build quality, screen, aesthetics, feature wise, these units are worlds apart. The Gustard is much cheaper, no frills, just passable aesthetically. The RME Dac is in a different league. So why would I bother with the Gustard? I don't use the majority of features of the ADI 2 Dac. I don't bother with parametric EQ, I don't watch the beautiful screen. The X16 Does it's job of converting digital to analog and was refreshingly easy to set up and use. I stream primarily through tidal and it properly and seamlessly switches bitrates without me doing anything. The ADI 2 Dac does not. Simply put the Gustard X16 gets out of the way. Is it a perfect solution? No. Having an ir Remote without power command is unfortunate. My workaround was to plug both my amp and dac into a Philips hue smart plug. This way I'm able to turn the whole system on or off from this little white remote or my phone.
I’m also having some weird issue with the tidal app but I don’t know if it’s related to Gustard hardware or the app it’s self. I’ll get into this in an other post later on.
18B39158-A78A-4D36-8B4D-3D0C3A664F48.jpeg

Chibs

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #45 of 201
I don't have the means to properly AB them for an opinion on sound.
Having said that both sound great! - Build quality, screen, aesthetics, feature wise, these units are worlds apart. The Gustard is much cheaper, no frills, just passable aesthetically. The RME Dac is in a different league. So why would I bother with the Gustard? I don't use the majority of features of the ADI 2 Dac. I don't bother with parametric EQ, I don't watch the beautiful screen. The X16 Does it's job of converting digital to analog and was refreshingly easy to set up and use. I stream primarily through tidal and it properly and seamlessly switches bitrates without me doing anything. The ADI 2 Dac does not. Simply put the Gustard X16 gets out of the way. Is it a perfect solution? No. Having an ir Remote without power command is unfortunate. My workaround was to plug both my amp and dac into a Philips hue smart plug. This way I'm able to turn the whole system on or off from this little white remote or my phone.
I’m also having some weird issue with the tidal app but I don’t know if it’s related to Gustard hardware or the app it’s self. I’ll get into this in an other post later on.
18B39158-A78A-4D36-8B4D-3D0C3A664F48.jpeg
Chibs
Chibs, you just gave me the final push to *stop* lusting over the RME, thank you. I just wouldn’t use its functions either and am very happy with the X16 just “getting out of the way”, although I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t intrigued to upgrade to the X26Pro.
X16 also pairs great with SA-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back