Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Mar 6, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #1,477 of 1,697
I feel fortunate that with the external clock and firmware V1.61 that all the previous issues are solved. I am even able to up sample everything to DSD from J-River if I chose to do so. Sound stage was ever so slightly narrowed but I suspect this was due mostly to an op-amp swap. I did read one misconception about the external clock C 16 that the only function for the buttons was to dim the led's. That is inaccurate it turns on the filter. If you think you are only dimming the light you are in fact bypassing the external clock function and the u 16 will automatically default to the internal clock.
1583477754665.png

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #1,478 of 1,697
I feel fortunate that with the external clock and firmware V1.61 that all the previous issues are solved. I am even able to up sample everything to DSD from J-River if I chose to do so. Sound stage was ever so slightly narrowed but I suspect this was due mostly to an op-amp swap. I did read one misconception about the external clock C 16 that the only function for the buttons was to dim the led's. That is inaccurate it turns on the filter. If you think you are only dimming the light you are in fact bypassing the external clock function and the u 16 will automatically default to the internal clock.
1583477754665.png
any pops at all between DSD tracks using the U16 with the X26 via i2s ?

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #1,482 of 1,697
look like u16+ c16 can easy beat di-20he !
Not so sure about that. I have yet to hear the DI-20, but it seems that if the consensus is that the DI-20 improvements come over all outputs and does not shin just through 1 of them. Where as the U-16's I2S is far better than the ABS/EBU, coaxial, or optical outputs but are still very good. Also it requires an external clock and just might be hyper sensitive to USB cables (not fully convinced on that YET). I have not seen where the DI-20 needs an external clock. But if you can get it working right the The U&C-16 combo is amazing.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,483 of 1,697
Please help with a question of a newbie here.
Before I used a Teradak's Raspberry Pi to connect directly to my old Wadia 15 DAC via coaxial cable (my DAC does not have USB port). Now I want to connect my Pi to Gustard U16 (via USB) and feed to my DAC via coaxial cable. My question is:
- I want to upgrade my teradak's Pi with temperature compensated TCXO clock. Does this clock from Pi has any effect on sound quality when the music is fed to Gustard?
- Is there any difference in sound quality between sources from Raspberry Pi and laptop using USB port, if they're connected to U16?
- my DAC does not have the port for clock connection, If I buy the C16 clock and connect to U16, is there any improvement in sound? I've heard that the clock only has affects if all the digital devices are connected to the master clock (C16) but my DAC is old so clock connection is impossible.
Thank you!

Mar 21, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #1,484 of 1,697
Sorry I have never used Raspberry's so I really could not help with that. As to the C16 and sound improvements with the U16 , all I can say is that it is working for me with Gustard X26 DAC over I2S. That is without a BNC connection to the U16 as the X26 lacks that ability. The sound improvement is noticeable with more separation and tonality but it seems like the sound stage narrowed ever so slightly. I think the C16 price is ridiculous for what it is and got it on sale for slightly over $500 on an 11/11 sale. But it did solve the issues I and many other encountered with clicks/pops, and dropouts. I did also connect the BNC from C16 the to my Audio GD R2R-1 and ABS/EBU from the U16 and did notice an improvement with the external clock that was almost as good as the I2S connect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back