Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jul 23, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #1,142 of 1,697
So anyone use this u16 with a mac mini yet? JRiver?

And how easy are firmware updates?

I have a u12. I need a new usb spdif converter.

I have eitr gen 5. How does it compare?

Musicguy

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #1,143 of 1,697
@Criable Interesting ideas. I have considered a lot of things and keeping my eye out. But no issue with my 4-5 yr. old Synology NAS (DS214). Near instantaneous access, runs autonomously, and even sends me alert Emails. Never any issues. The only bottleneck was initially when I had a 100Mbit Ethernet switch in the loop. Swapped to a Gigabit switch and performance improved dramatically. The NAS CPU (1Ghz) bounces between 10 - 20% usage playing hi rez audio. Video on my NAS machine probably wouldn't cut it by today's standard but perfect for audio.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #1,145 of 1,697
So anyone use this u16 with a mac mini yet? JRiver?

And how easy are firmware updates?

I have a u12. I need a new usb spdif converter.

I have eitr gen 5. How does it compare?

Musicguy

Not sure about Eitr Gen 5, I use MacBook Pro with Audirvana 3.5 and stream Tidal Hifi, FW 1.61 U16 will restart itself sometimes when change songs, youtube lipsync, other than that, it's pretty good. Firmware update is pretty straight forward, but I think you need windows/PC to do so.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #1,147 of 1,697
Yes, i know. Stil can't get why it matters but the direction makes a difference in general. Haven't played with it with the u16.

Two additional tweaks:

Wrap the middle of the fuse with Teflon tape for damping (cheap, can buy at any hardware store)

Use Fo.Q thick damping sheet. Very popular and extremely effective Japanese product. I've used them for years. You can also find cheaper thinner version, but the SH-21 works best.

Also, try ceramic fuses like Cooper Bussman instead of regular glass fuses if you don't want to spend $$$ on boutique.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #1,148 of 1,697
Reading this thread it seems like despite the issues a lot of people are still willing to use the U16 because of the sound quality. My main use would be as a USB/SPDIF converter. So far only one person has expressed issues with that I think. The rest are I2S/AES related. Is that correct?

Also has anyone checked the heat temperatures of the components inside? Sounds like it gets quite warm.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #1,151 of 1,697
The U16 can be very sensitive when stacked on top of other equipment.

I put it on top of my PS Audio jr dac which has a perspex top, and the U16 wouldn't play. It even had a text on the display when completely turned off. It was getting wireless power from the dac!

That's of course because of the perspex cover of PS Audio dac not isolating anything under it, but I would advice against stacking the poor little U16 on anything.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU AND THANK YOU, for as long as I've owned U16, and I always have this problem where voice is playing louder from my right speaker. I have done everything I could to trouble shoot the problem, including swapping cables, wires, speakers and etc, nothing seem to solve the problem (so I ended click the balance option few clicks to the left to make the voice center, but still feel more sound is coming from the right). So I thought there is an issue with my Micromega M100 or my Martin Logan speaker or room acoustics. Then after reading your post, I've always stack my Apple Airport express on top of U16, sure enough, I moved airport express as far away from U16 and VIOLA, it's perfectly balanced now. I concur U16 is very sensitive and do not stack anything on top of it or underneath.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #1,153 of 1,697
I'm wondering when they release the beta version of this product, because it's clearly still an alpha release for early testing. </snark>

Alpha is generous. Seems more like engineering sample for proof of concept

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #1,154 of 1,697
I'm wondering when they release the beta version of this product, because it's clearly still an alpha release for early testing. </snark>

Given the 6 to 12 month turnaround cycle for DACs and related components these days, that's not likely to happen. Here's the scenario as I see it so far: Gustard got their hands on a discarded USB ESS chip for cheap, got some good sounding results compared to the competition, and made a product around it. Done. Presumably ESS abandoned production on these chips for a reason, and that reason may be why these units have issues. These types of China-direct components just don't have the technical support and resources to improve software issues. If they did, they would cost a LOT more. As it is, the U16 is till cheaper than a SU-1 and only a little more than the diminutive Singxer F1. In 6 months there will be another product so why spend time and money to fix this one?

What interests me about the U16 is that despite the issues the feedback has been so positive that people seem willing to endure the potential instability for the sound quality. The ESS chip design is a unique choice that we may never see again or if we do at a potentially higher price given the performance. So the U16 could be something of a quirky 'collector's' item, an unusual bang for the buck product based on a one-off experiment.

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #1,155 of 1,697
@teatime888 will you be able to ask Gustard if they’ll be releasing any new firmwares for u16
The previous 2 versions that you had gracefully shared are buggy.
1.61nfb resets itself once in a while even when not playing
1.71 - simply unstable

Since you have some form of contact with Gustard - will you be able to help ask about it?
Also Gustard didn’t officially release the 2 newer versions - so am expecting they are still fine tuning their releases.

Thanks so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back