Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jul 25, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #1,156 of 1,697
1.61nfb resetting is not a common problem, mine has been stable for many days.

One thing which may cause problems like resetting (and who knows the stacking problems too) is that the digital output grounds are connected to chassis earth.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #1,158 of 1,697
Maybe put anti-parallel diodes and a an 10nf cap to ground? :p I'm about to try this. This can be done outside the box itself and a nice EMI filter too... and forgot about the 10nf cap but what the heck :) It seems to sound better this way.

P1030802.JPG

That's the emi filter and the chord connected to it goes to the U16. As I don't believe in expensive power chords but I use emi filters for all my low power equipment.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #1,159 of 1,697
1.61nfb resetting is not a common problem, mine has been stable for many days.

1.61 NFB stable confirmed too. 1.77 sounds really better but left-right random switching makes me crazy... anybody from gustard reading this?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #1,160 of 1,697
As far as I know i.e. SU-1 and Eitr keep digital output grounds separate from chassis ground. There probably is a good reason for that. Both also galvanically isolate the processing chip which could be the reason.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #1,161 of 1,697
Both also galvanically isolate the processing chip which could be the reason.

Ah— am using uptone iso regen and their lps 1-2 into u16. Galvanic isolation of the audio signal is one of the key features with uptone. If the random reset is due to that - then wow - this u16 is really bloody freaking fussy about the partnering equipments.

Anyone using the uptone iso regen + lps1-2 combo with u16 having the same random reset problems (even when there is no music playing?).

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #1,162 of 1,697
Well, yes. I used to have those problems with this combo: Auralic Aries > ISO Regen with LPS1 >U16>spdif to my Hegel amp.

I now have a different combination with the ISO Regen and it's no longer a problem.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #1,165 of 1,697
If you are using sms ultra neo with u16 - firmware v1.61 and v1.77 dont work well at all. V1.77 is worst of it all. Cracks and pops galore. V1.61 dun work with higher bitrate.

Firmware V1.4 and v1.61 nfb works though. However there are pops whenever there is a change from high bitrate to low. For me its acceptable. Works fine with spdif too (tested it with coax only)

I’ve mated su1 with the sms200 ultra neo before - it is problem free. With u16 - u need the right firmware. Sq wise u16 is definitely better than su1. With u16 - its about finding the correct firmware that will work for your setup

Since you have a modded su1 - not sure how big an improvement the u16 will bring to the table. Other members here had heavily modded their su1 and reported that u16 still sounds better - have not tested it myself - so cannot confirm their findings.

Had 2 other friends using the sotm trifecta + u16 and surprisingly - with the addition of sotm’s txusb ultra (i.e. part of the trifecta) v1.61 works perfectly. (v1.61 doesn’t work well with the ultra neo by itself). Therefore I’ve stated that u16 is extremely fussy with the equipment chain - and sometimes it befuddles me how a small change in the setup can make or break u16. Hope that helps.

Short answer - YES - it will work with sotm ultra neo (on i2s and spdif) but you’ll need to experiment it with different firmwares

Hello Criable, thank you for your answer. Yesterday I recieved my Gustard U16. When I connected it to the Sotm and started it I indeed heard constantly soft ticks through the music. After installing the nfb version it didn't change. Between the Sotm and the Gustard I have a pair of Icrons 2304GE-lan, comparable with the PS Audio LanRover. When I took them out the ticks were gone. Like you said, I also have, sometimes very loud, plops between the songs when changing bit resolution. I also hear sometimes a soft hissing sound when changing songs. Do I like the sound, cold out of the box? Yes and no. When I compare it with my slightly modified Singxer (I removed the PSU and use a HDplex 200W to feed it, which makes it a lot better) the Gustard is much smoother, but the Gustard lacks some air, space and detail. This is compared with the Singxer included the Icrons. But, like I said, the Gustard comes cold out of the box, which makes the comparison a little useless. It's regrettable I can't use my Icron's with the Gustard. I will give the Gustards some time and I will compare it with the Singxer without the Icrons. I will report this in a few days.

Jul 31, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #1,166 of 1,697
Hello Criable, thank you for your answer. Yesterday I recieved my Gustard U16. When I connected it to the Sotm and started it I indeed heard constantly soft ticks through the music. After installing the nfb version it didn't change. Between the Sotm and the Gustard I have a pair of Icrons 2304GE-lan, comparable with the PS Audio LanRover. When I took them out the ticks were gone. Like you said, I also have, sometimes very loud, plops between the songs when changing bit resolution. I also hear sometimes a soft hissing sound when changing songs. Do I like the sound, cold out of the box? Yes and no. When I compare it with my slightly modified Singxer (I removed the PSU and use a HDplex 200W to feed it, which makes it a lot better) the Gustard is much smoother, but the Gustard lacks some air, space and detail. This is compared with the Singxer included the Icrons. But, like I said, the Gustard comes cold out of the box, which makes the comparison a little useless. It's regrettable I can't use my Icron's with the Gustard. I will give the Gustards some time and I will compare it with the Singxer without the Icrons. I will report this in a few days.

Np at all @bos3812
Please do update your sotm’s firmware to v4.6 AND after that update the kernel - sotm made some changes to the kernel so it may help
You may also want to check your settings - I mainly use LMS, sometimes MPD and May from SOTM suggested some settings/configurations

I also use something in between sotm and U16 - its the Uptone ISO Regen (powered by LPS1-2, provides galvanic isolation and reclocks digital signal) - no far no problem except for some random reboots which I mentioned in my earlier post

U16 doesn’t need the 5v from the source’s usb signal - therefore if there are ways to turn it off (some equipments allow that) - please also try that.
Gustard takes sometime to run in - so running in longer should yield some sonic improvement
Will be also good to change to an audiophile grade fuse - makes quite a significant difference in my setup

Happy listening buddy :)

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #1,167 of 1,697
Np at all @bos3812
Please do update your sotm’s firmware to v4.6 AND after that update the kernel - sotm made some changes to the kernel so it may help
You may also want to check your settings - I mainly use LMS, sometimes MPD and May from SOTM suggested some settings/configurations

I also use something in between sotm and U16 - its the Uptone ISO Regen (powered by LPS1-2, provides galvanic isolation and reclocks digital signal) - no far no problem except for some random reboots which I mentioned in my earlier post

U16 doesn’t need the 5v from the source’s usb signal - therefore if there are ways to turn it off (some equipments allow that) - please also try that.
Gustard takes sometime to run in - so running in longer should yield some sonic improvement
Will be also good to change to an audiophile grade fuse - makes quite a significant difference in my setup

Happy listening buddy :)

My Sotm uses the latest v4.6 software and I use MPD. The bad news is that my Gustard started ticking again after playing about two hours of music. Not so much as with the Icrons in between but enough to spoil your music. I will try a few things but I am afraid the Gustard and the Sotm are not made for each other. I hoped I belonged to the lucky ones who has no problems with the Gustard and I wished the Singxer had the smoothness of the Gustard in combination with the openness, detail and air of the Singxer. If I do not succeed to solve most of the problems I will send the unit back. Maybe there will come a day Gustard can solve all these bugs. That could be a reason for me to come back on it, but for now Gustard has a lot of work to do. To bring buggy units on the market can ruïn their name. I hope they realize that. It's a shame that they cover themselves in silence.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #1,170 of 1,697
The changes for the U16 interface are in the kernel. Updating the software is not the same as updating the kernel.

From what I know - the latest sotm’s v4.6 image does not contain the updated kernel. You’ll need to manually update the kernel.

May (sotm) gave me the following value to test with mpd - maybe help to you

auido buffer size : 5 ~ 10
Stay with buffer before play at 0
Stay with buffer time at 0.5
Period time : 5~10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back