Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jul 19, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #1,127 of 1,697
So I just took out my iDefender that was plugged into the iSilencer plugged into my USB card. Put the iDefender after the ISO Regen and the iSilencer remains at the USB card in the PC.

It might just be this Papa Murphy's pizza talking but dang Steely Dan is sounding great right now.

Had to share that lol

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #1,131 of 1,697
@ggetzoff

So my chain went like this

PC > ISO REGEN > iDefender(powered by external LPS 9V which I thought was 5V) > Singxer F-1 > Khadas Tone Board

My theory is the 9V affected the F-1 in that my PC will not recognize it anymore amd the Tone Board will not stay on more than 1 second.

The weird part is that from F-1 to Tone Board is digital coax! Could those 9V transfer from the idefender through the F-1 into the Tone Board? I dont know. But neither seem to be functional.

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #1,134 of 1,697
In my case the 1.77 firmware randomly switches channels using the AES output or any other spdif out. Fixed syncronization for videos but meh.

1.61 NFB seems to have the video sync ok, and channels are not swapped.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #1,135 of 1,697
Oh man, sorry to hear, since I live on the 11th floor apartment, my reception might be much easier to lock onto. I did ask the local user whom suggested the 10mhz clock, himself did buy a longer antenna to get the signal. I do hope the new antenna will work out for you.
my ebay seller had the 10M antenna available so hopefully no problem....
I will be traveling for a few weeks, so will report back the results when I return.
thanks again for the heads-up on this device :beerchug:

Jul 21, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #1,136 of 1,697
In my case the 1.77 firmware randomly switches channels using the AES output or any other spdif out. Fixed syncronization for videos but meh.

1.61 NFB seems to have the video sync ok, and channels are not swapped.

Tested on 2 setup - 1.77 is not stable on both. I find v1.61 NFB better than v1.4 on SQ. Stability wise 1.61 nfb and 1.4 are similar.

Find it strange that Gustard didn’t officially release the firmware through the proper channel. Instead - they released via Headfi. Maybe - get us to test it for them first

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #1,137 of 1,697
I still have a few issues with 1.61 NFB using my old PC. Nothing new or fixed. Mostly songs of different sampling rates sometimes require a restart to get audio. Sound quality is very good though but no better that the older 1.61.

Yesterday I connected my iPad to the U16 (via an old Schiiit USB Decrapifier) and it worked first try! Cute... but looks like files get converted to 44.1kHz. Sound quality had typical downsampled sound - less dynamics and pop, narrow soundstage, etc. Finding a compatible iOS player app is a challenge as well.

I need to get my Allo Usbridge repaired. I may just buy a new one. It is the most affordable way for me go PC-less for audio. The Usbridge sounded good when it worked and Volumio is an OK player once you get it setup. Aurender looks interesting but the price $$$.. I don't need onboard storage. I just want to play from a music server (NAS).

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #1,138 of 1,697
Congrats! Wow. It also really goes to show how fussy u16 is on different equipments.

I am using a sotm streamer (linux based) - so may be a problem with linux compatibility
Hello Criable, I also have a Sotm SMS-200 Ultra Neo and use my modified Singxer SU-1 at this moment. I have plans to buy the Gustard U-16 but saw you have problems with it together with the Sotm. I will only use a coaxial digital cable because my Ayon CD-1SE doesn't have an I2S input. I only play PCM files from tidal and directly from my NAS on which I programmed Minimserver. Can you tell me if you also have problems when you play PCM files through SPDIF output? Are there more members who had problems with a Sotm streamer? I have read the message from another member with a Linux based streamer without problems. So, the question is if Linux is the cause of your problems.

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #1,139 of 1,697
Hello Criable, I also have a Sotm SMS-200 Ultra Neo and use my modified Singxer SU-1 at this moment. I have plans to buy the Gustard U-16 but saw you have problems with it together with the Sotm. I will only use a coaxial digital cable because my Ayon CD-1SE doesn't have an I2S input. I only play PCM files from tidal and directly from my NAS on which I programmed Minimserver. Can you tell me if you also have problems when you play PCM files through SPDIF output? Are there more members who had problems with a Sotm streamer? I have read the message from another member with a Linux based streamer without problems. So, the question is if Linux is the cause of your problems.

If you are using sms ultra neo with u16 - firmware v1.61 and v1.77 dont work well at all. V1.77 is worst of it all. Cracks and pops galore. V1.61 dun work with higher bitrate.

Firmware V1.4 and v1.61 nfb works though. However there are pops whenever there is a change from high bitrate to low. For me its acceptable. Works fine with spdif too (tested it with coax only)

I’ve mated su1 with the sms200 ultra neo before - it is problem free. With u16 - u need the right firmware. Sq wise u16 is definitely better than su1. With u16 - its about finding the correct firmware that will work for your setup

Since you have a modded su1 - not sure how big an improvement the u16 will bring to the table. Other members here had heavily modded their su1 and reported that u16 still sounds better - have not tested it myself - so cannot confirm their findings.

Had 2 other friends using the sotm trifecta + u16 and surprisingly - with the addition of sotm’s txusb ultra (i.e. part of the trifecta) v1.61 works perfectly. (v1.61 doesn’t work well with the ultra neo by itself). Therefore I’ve stated that u16 is extremely fussy with the equipment chain - and sometimes it befuddles me how a small change in the setup can make or break u16. Hope that helps.

Short answer - YES - it will work with sotm ultra neo (on i2s and spdif) but you’ll need to experiment it with different firmwares

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #1,140 of 1,697
I need to get my Allo Usbridge repaired. I may just buy a new one. It is the most affordable way for me go PC-less for audio. The Usbridge sounded good when it worked and Volumio is an OK player once you get it setup. Aurender looks interesting but the price $$$.. I don't need onboard storage. I just want to play from a music server (NAS).

Have you considered having your allo repaired AND at the same time get another powerful SBC to run a music server?

I happened to have an Odroid N2 which I got for retro gaming. Felt a tiny bit adventurous one afternoon - hooked a linear power supply to the Odroid and installed dietpi with LMS on it. I’ve also pointed the Odroid to my NAS music library. Quite happy with the result :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back