Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jan 2, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #301 of 1,697
I really have to agree with all of that. I loved the F-1 and thought that it blew-away the SU-1 and the Matrix2 and several other USB to SPDIF Converters that I have tried. This weekend I will do a shootout. Unlike the SU-1, modifying the u16 with a DC LPS would be a PITA and I wouldn't even consider doing it myself.
I think there is no need to mod it.

I confirm there is indeed an issue woth the latest fw, playing 192/32 through i2s with the psa format. I flashed back the psa fw and 192/32 is fine, but 176/32 emits some whistleling noise though the music. Quite loud. So all is not perfect...

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #303 of 1,697
Just realize the new fw does not play 192/24 file properly. Square-wave-like sound. Anyone else with the same issue?

I would like to follow FredA's comment and let you all know that this 1.58 FW seems to have a few shortcomings. I am using it together with a Gustard X20 connected with a HDMI cable. I use forbar2000 to play music on a Windows 10 computer.

Here is the list of concerns with 1.58 FW:

1. It does not have a software control for the buffer, the Singxer SU-1's driver has one
2. Upsampling CD wave files to DSD512 works only for a couple of minutes, then noise appears. When noise appears, the sampling rate display on X20 DAC flicks which suggests some kind of synchronization issue between U16 and X20. Maximizing the buffer size in forbar2000 does no help. I had this kind of issue when using SU-1 with X20, but it was resolved by increasing the buffer size via the software of SU-1.
3. Upsampling CD wave files to DSD256 works acceptably, noise/pop appears once in a long while, but it does appear.

Now, I flashed the U16 back to the 1.4 FW. The issue listed in 2. is mitigated obviously so that listening to my CD wave files up-sampled to DSD512 seems to be doable (no comments on the quality of the music, "doable" simply means no issues with noise/pop or synchronization). The issue in 3. above almost disappears.

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #304 of 1,697
I would like to follow FredA's comment and let you all know that this 1.58 FW seems to have a few shortcomings. I am using it together with a Gustard X20 connected with a HDMI cable. I use forbar2000 to play music on a Windows 10 computer.

Here is the list of concerns with 1.58 FW:

1. It does not have a software control for the buffer, the Singxer SU-1's driver has one
2. Upsampling CD wave files to DSD512 works only for a couple of minutes, then noise appears. When noise appears, the sampling rate display on X20 DAC flicks which suggests some kind of synchronization issue between U16 and X20. Maximizing the buffer size in forbar2000 does no help. I had this kind of issue when using SU-1 with X20, but it was resolved by increasing the buffer size via the software of SU-1.
3. Upsampling CD wave files to DSD256 works acceptably, noise/pop appears once in a long while, but it does appear.

Now, I flashed the U16 back to the 1.4 FW. The issue listed in 2. is mitigated obviously so that listening to my CD wave files up-sampled to DSD512 seems to be doable (no comments on the quality of the music, "doable" simply means no issues with noise/pop or synchronization). The issue in 3. above almost disappears.

I still have issues with 176/32 going back to 1.4 as well, but i can live with it. They need to do more testing i guess.

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #306 of 1,697
@FredA Thanks for explaining ‘std’ and ‘0 db’ mode.

I occassionally have issues when starting to play 176khz and 192khz files. If i start and stop the track or briefly go to a track with a different sampling rate and return to the noisy track it will play fine. And continues to play all tracks OK until sampling rate changes. 176khz is worse of the two speeds. Windows 10 machine.

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #308 of 1,697
Just realize the new fw does not play 192/24 file properly. Square-wave-like sound. Anyone else with the same issue?

Same here :frowning2:

Already emailed to support:

Using "Auralic Aries Femto" as a source and several Dac's (RME ADI-2 Pro Fs BE; Audio GD R7; Chord Hugo 2)

Trying to isolate the problem and making sure it really the U16:

Using a direct USB connection between "Aries Femto" and "RME ADI-2 pro", there are no issues at all, even when I upsample in "Aries Femto" up to 768khz.

Putting the U16 in between (same USB Cable as before now connecting to U16 and using digital coax cable (75ohm) to RME ADI 2, I'm getting the problems with 176/192khz/16 and 24 bit.

I also tested with HDMI/I2S (PSA mode) and XLR connection from U16 to AudioGD R7, same problem. And also Hugo2 via coax (U16>BNC) same issue.

Just exchanging U16 with "Sinxger SU-1" (same cables, etc), everything works perfect.

Furthermore the RME ADI-2 pro has a feature to detect a bit perfect transfer, for some special files, with different sampling rates and bit depth (see their website for: Bit Test Wav files for ADI-2 Pro, ADI-2 AE and ADI-2 DAC, includes 16 / 24 / 32 bit test at 44.1, 96 and 192 kHz sample rate.):
With direct USB connection from Aries, the RME ADI 2 detects all files as bit perfect transfer. Putting the U16 in the middle, RME detects bit perfect transfer only for 44.1 and 96 kHz sample rate (16 and 24 bit), but not for 192 kHz (even in the time before the distortions starts). While distortions is ongoing the RME shows "invalid SPDIF signal", seems to reconnect for a fraction of a second and loses sync again, reconnect, loses again...

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #309 of 1,697
I think there is no need to mod it.

I confirm there is indeed an issue woth the latest fw, playing 192/32 through i2s with the psa format. I flashed back the psa fw and 192/32 is fine, but 176/32 emits some whistleling noise though the music. Quite loud. So all is not perfect...

I agree. I just mentioned because not having an external DC output LPS is one thing that people site as a "problem" and reason for not buying it. But as has been mentioned, the processing through the FPGA chips and Sabre processor mitigate this. Also, - I know that the SU-1 is a totally different XMOS based box, - but it's internal power supply was/is quite easily circumvented with a simple mod, and that significantly improves the performance. In the case of the U16, - (as you say), - performing this much more challenging mod would likely not affect it.

I just am running AIFF files from a Sonore ultraRendu at the 16/44 level and output via the humble SPDIF COAX connector, - so I am grateful to you all who are mentioning some of these issues with the firmware upgrades. Best for me to wait.

Cheers, and thank you.

Jan 3, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #310 of 1,697
..In the case of the U16, - (as you say), - performing this much more challenging mod would likely not affect it...

Well, we don't know this until someone try to make some changes. For the moment nobody can say anything 'for sure'.

It looks like I will stay with fw1.4 as everything works perfect for me and I'm gonna hold until they fix latest firmware.

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #311 of 1,697
Well, we don't know this until someone try to make some changes. For the moment nobody can say anything 'for sure'.

It looks like I will stay with fw1.4 as everything works perfect for me and I'm gonna hold until they fix latest firmware.

Hi, I agree..... (I guess I was just simply speculating on the speculations). :smile_phones:
I am not sure what ver of the firmware I have, - I was one of the first to order & receive as soon as it became available. And, AFAIK, the only way to tell what version you have is start the process of the upgrade? Is that correct?
Anyway, - I'm not trying to run DSD, DOP, or am using anything but the RCA/SPDIF/COAX connector. So, - I likely will not perform the firmware upgrade until I hear of a later update that people say enhances the SQ even more.
Besides, - I'm really enjoying my U16 just as is.....

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #312 of 1,697
Just got my U16 running. Came with old firmware, so I had to flash to V1.58
My computer wouldn't detect the current firmware no matter what USB port I plugged it into, so I tried with my older laptop and it worked right away. (USB 2.0 Ports Required)
I translated the Chinese in the upgrade instructions and it said:
"If the following picture is abnormal, you need to replace the USB port that U16 is connected to. Please try to use the native 2.0 USB port. Because the USB interface priority on the computer is different, some USB ports are not suitable for firmware upgrade."

After flashing to V1.58 and setting firmware to PSA everything worked right away, even with my complex setup. Chain below:

Jriver PC -----> 2 Port Intel Ethernet Bridged ----> SOTM sMS-200 (Uptone LPS-1) -----> Audio Sensibility Statement Silver USB Cable 0.7m -----> Uptone ISOREGEN (Uptone LPS-1) -----> Uptone USPCB A>B Adapter -----> Gustard U16 -----> 0.5m Prime Cables Mamba HDMI ----> Audio-GD R2R7

sounds great so far, but lots of burn in to go.
Just PCM for now as I am having an issue with DSD on my R2R-7 (static, no sound). I think the R2R7 V2 firmware caused this as it was working with V1. Will try DSD again after I flash to V3 in a week or 2.

Some pictures below:
Full size pics here:
https://imgur.com/a/b3AGQYY

11.jpg

20190103_173149.jpg

20190103_173114.jpg

20190103_173126.jpg

FYMltWz

YuWBPU1

FYMltWz

DhYmhoR

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #313 of 1,697
Same here :frowning2:

Already emailed to support:

Using "Auralic Aries Femto" as a source and several Dac's (RME ADI-2 Pro Fs BE; Audio GD R7; Chord Hugo 2)

Trying to isolate the problem and making sure it really the U16:

Using a direct USB connection between "Aries Femto" and "RME ADI-2 pro", there are no issues at all, even when I upsample in "Aries Femto" up to 768khz.

Putting the U16 in between (same USB Cable as before now connecting to U16 and using digital coax cable (75ohm) to RME ADI 2, I'm getting the problems with 176/192khz/16 and 24 bit.

I also tested with HDMI/I2S (PSA mode) and XLR connection from U16 to AudioGD R7, same problem. And also Hugo2 via coax (U16>BNC) same issue.

Just exchanging U16 with "Sinxger SU-1" (same cables, etc), everything works perfect.

Furthermore the RME ADI-2 pro has a feature to detect a bit perfect transfer, for some special files, with different sampling rates and bit depth (see their website for: Bit Test Wav files for ADI-2 Pro, ADI-2 AE and ADI-2 DAC, includes 16 / 24 / 32 bit test at 44.1, 96 and 192 kHz sample rate.):
With direct USB connection from Aries, the RME ADI 2 detects all files as bit perfect transfer. Putting the U16 in the middle, RME detects bit perfect transfer only for 44.1 and 96 kHz sample rate (16 and 24 bit), but not for 192 kHz (even in the time before the distortions starts). While distortions is ongoing the RME shows "invalid SPDIF signal", seems to reconnect for a fraction of a second and loses sync again, reconnect, loses again...
Thanks for notifying them, as it is even the 1.4 version has issues.

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #314 of 1,697
Just got my U16 running. Came with old firmware, so I had to flash to V1.58
My computer wouldn't detect the current firmware no matter what USB port I plugged it into, so I tried with my older laptop and it worked right away. (USB 2.0 Ports Required)
I translated the Chinese in the upgrade instructions and it said:
"If the following picture is abnormal, you need to replace the USB port that U16 is connected to. Please try to use the native 2.0 USB port. Because the USB interface priority on the computer is different, some USB ports are not suitable for firmware upgrade."

After flashing to V1.58 and setting firmware to PSA everything worked right away, even with my complex setup. Chain below:

Jriver PC -----> 2 Port Intel Ethernet Bridged ----> SOTM sMS-200 (Uptone LPS-1) -----> Audio Sensibility Statement Silver USB Cable 0.7m -----> Uptone ISOREGEN (Uptone LPS-1) -----> Uptone USPCB A>B Adapter -----> Gustard U16 -----> 0.5m Prime Cables Mamba HDMI ----> Audio-GD R2R7

sounds great so far, but lots of burn in to go.
Just PCM for now as I am having an issue with DSD on my R2R-7 (static, no sound). I think the R2R7 V2 firmware caused this as it was working with V1. Will try DSD again after I flash to V3 in a week or 2.

Some pictures below:
Full size pics here:
https://imgur.com/a/b3AGQYY

FYMltWz

YuWBPU1

FYMltWz

DhYmhoR
The he350 is HUGE!

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #315 of 1,697
The he350 is HUGE!
haha yes it is, it's like a space heater too, very hot to the touch, i love it though and will never sell it. I also replaced the stock outlets with Furutechs for good measure.

Back on topic, with the U16:
I tested 96khz and 192khz and it played ok.
176khz did not.

90% 44khz so far and it has been rock solid. sounds good but I can tell it needs some time to burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back