1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by mtoc, Sep 15, 2018.
First

Back
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Next

Last
  1. wwmhf
    U16 seems not to have a screen saver...

2. batfier
    thanks.

after some googling found some infos:

"...I installed the latest v1.58 firmware that supports switch I2S signal from the UI (GUSTARD, PS audio, LKS and Holo standard).."

and a link from
    https://m.facebook.com/GustardAudio/

to v1.58

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1GZcdzkL9f6Ajfa8snryEI8l7ccff97Zi?usp=drive_open

will test it next year, as only 13 min left in 2018.

happy new year to all of you.

3. FredA
    My u16 is now at over 200h. Combined to the r-7, it sounds as grainless as a turntable, no joke, yet still lively. Oh yeah, and we change year number so have a good one!

Chopin75 likes this.
  4. Chopin75
    Happy New Year Everyone here, wherever you guys are from all over the world! This is a truly international forum. Question about the U-16. Does it have anything special with the PS, is it toroidal? Is it made such that AC noise is minimum? I am surprised it surpasses the other DDC that has DC LPS, at least according to this forum feedback, though I am not entirely sure if the singxer-SU and F-1 being compared all have DC LPS. Usually the DC LPS trumps everything. IS the clock of Gustard way superior than that of SIngxer ?

5. Chopin75
    Would love to try this Gustard on my R2R7 to see how analogue and grainless it can get! I am listening to vinyl again the last few days, the fluid analogue feel is still stunning and soundstage is still the best (for stereo, excluding Surround; Digital surround is another world that is really beyond comparison in terms of realistic sound stage). But so far DSD/DXD on R2R7 has been really quite close to vinyl. I would think Gustard would give stunning results with these super-high RES. Someone here is already doing DSD and not sure anyone doing DXD ?

6. PitBul34
  7. PitBul34
    IMG_20181231_214734.jpg Oh, yeah! And Happy New Year to all of you! :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    FredA likes this.
  8. FredA
    The u16 does not have the best power supply it seems but uses multiple fpgas to avoid clock signal contamination by other signals, and by business logic processing. And it is based on the ESS chip. So it is a whole new design intended to minimise jitter. And from what i hear, it is a superior one. The Accusilicon are also excellent oscillators and most certainly contribute to the excellent sound. If i were you, i would just order one.

9. batfier
    v1.58 is working (HDMI/I2S and SPDIF in parallel)

with v1.58 you can switch between I2S modes.

current HDMI/I2S output selection you can see in upper right corner (GSD=GUSTARD, PSA=PS audio, LKS=LKS and Holo=Holo standard)

to change, "press AND HOLD" the "OSCSEL" button. After few sec is changing to next selection. So you can cycle through the I2s modes.

In the lower left corner, there is now a "0 db" information. You can toggle to "STD" with "press AND HOLD" a few seconds the "OMODE" button. Not sure what it changes. Anyone knows?

upload_2019-1-1_15-22-19.png

10. Whitigir
    Woaaa, happy new year! And I love this news ! Switching IIS at the flick of a finger !

FredA likes this.
  11. rafabro
    It was advertised by Gustard 2 months before firmware was ready :ksc75smile:

12. wwmhf
    Happy New Year!

Thanks for the info provided by batfier. So V1.58 provides some convenience for using U16 with a variety of DACs

Chopin75 likes this.
  13. DACLadder
    Good question! What is the difference between '0dB' and 'STD' output?

Thanks for posting the latest firmware...

14. DACLadder
    The Gustard U16 1.58 f/w in 'STD' mode rocks the house with AGD R7 DAC over HDMI I2S. More open, dynamic, and holographic versus '0 dB' - slight but noticed on several tunes. Jeez, when I thought it could not get any better!

Would be nice to know the technical reason for '0dB' and 'STD' modes....

15. Whitigir
    Ugh* STD mode ? That word ...LoL...UGh

First

Back
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Next

Last