1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by mtoc, Sep 15, 2018.
First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Next

Last
  1. FredA
    It definitlely needs 200 hours. And by the way, the one meter hdmi cable by yellow-price really beats the primecables you have. They call it the black mamba in the description page. Got it two days ago, it should even get better.

2. FredA
    My setup now sounds really really well. Best sound ever. The new hdmi cable brought better dynamics and bass extension. Imaging is also better. I am now expecting a hdmi 2.1 cable within two weeks, should probably be even better.

The sound i get has such definition now and smoothness, it is ridiculously good. The u16 is a great sounding unit at a very raisonable price.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  3. darren700
    Thanks,
    Is this the cable you are talking about? (ebay link) (i'm having trouble finding it)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/3ft-1M-Sho...ARC-For-PS3-PS4-XBOX-ONE-SKY-TV-/142715680597

I have 2 other cables on the way to try also: Audioquest 0.6m Chocolate and the same ebay 1M HDMI 2.1 cable you linked earlier in this thread

4. FredA
    Yep. That’s the one.

Don ‘t forget, longer can be better. 0fframp recommends 1.5 meters as optimal length. I went 1m for the 2.1 cable as well. 1 meter is certainly not a bad value. Right now, i am listening to Sonny Rollins. This record never sounded so good (A night at the Village Vanguard)

The difference is not huge but big enough to be heard and enjoyed.

5. darren700
    Thanks. I was under the impression that for I2S shorter is better? or is LVDS a different type of signal that can travel further?

6. FredA
    The new cables have much better consistancy so will cause less reflexions due to inconsistant impedance thoughout the length of the cable. Attenuation figures are also better. So what happens is the reflexions happening at the interfaces (connectors) can have less impact because they will tend to add themselves in phase with more optimal cable lengths.

On the other hand, if there are no reflection caused by mismatched impedances at the connectors, a shorter cable is better. Hdmi-i2s is also a balanced transmission so it is not as sensitive to length as rj45 cause the most of the noise caught during the signal travel will be rejected by the differential input,

[ edit]

Or it could be that the reflexion after getting back to the source and back again to destination gets attenuated to a larger extent and has less impact. I am not a practicing ee so i am quite rusted.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    darren700 likes this.
  7. yolop
  8. darren700
    Wow, thanks for the quite detailed explanation. I did not realize that HDMI was balanced!

9. rafabro
    No, you can just read fw version without updating. Just run software provided for fw update and will display what you have.

10. FredA
    I saw this one but then saw the 2.1 flat cable. Might try it after...

Just received it by the way. It’s a beefy cable with really massive and impressively built connectors. So far so good. But i can’t compare with the black mamba yet cause i just received the allo usbrigde, and this made my sound different. The allo needs to burn in for at least 100 hours. Then i will compare the newest cable with the black mamba. Right now, my pref would go to the black mamba but just a guess. Not sure whatsoever. And the cable needs to burn as well.

11. Thenewguy007
    Can you post the link to the flat 2.1 cable?

12. FredA
  13. Sage Encore
    Hi Guys,
    Can the unit be used with Pontus DAC? I am currently using Singxer SU-1. Thank you for taking the time.

14. Thenewguy007
    Yeah, if it works with a Singxer SU-1, it will work with a U16.

15. FredA
    The su-1 uses the ps audio i2s convention, which is supported by the u16.

First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Next

Last