Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Nov 24, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #1,429 of 1,697
1583476616422.png

I completed my Gustard stack 8 days ago to include H 20 (Sparkos labs SS3602) upgrade, X 26, U 16, and finally the,C 16 in that order. With the short time I have been able to enjoy it completed I am going to call this God tier sound. I did have some problems with the I2S connectivity (drops outs and pops) after obtaining the U 16 and prior to the purchases of the C 16. I was able to correct it up to this point by replacing the USB cable to a random one that came with something and placing it in a different socket on the computer. I would hope the socket was the problem and not the Audio Quest cable. I only have 8 actual DSD albums and have experienced no difficulty yet in up-sampling them 8x in JRiver. However, If I attempt to convert FLAC files to DSD with Maximum oversampling than it is no bueno to say the least. Also upsampling 16 or 24 bit flac files has not proven to be an issue as long as I do not convert them. Eventually I will reinstall the AQ USB cable once I determine that it was not the problem. I cannot believe that the external USB interface and clock make such an other worldly difference. I hope it is just an issue with USB connections to the motherboard but my drop outs have been gone for over a month now which is why I went all in on the stack.

I would like to thank the members of this forum for the help and guidance they have provided me as an observer. Although it is early in the process I can say sounds great on Sennheiser HD 600,650,700,& 800s. Fostex TRP 50(moded)& 60's XX00 Purple Heart, TH 900's And Focal Elex, & Clears. Not ready to make a determination on Hi Fiman yet. Surprisingly the greatest improvement came form the HD 700's but this is liable to change as the C 16 has under 200 hours on it so far. One last thing I do cycle all of this equipment off every day except the clock. Not sure if I will keep it on always or not going to let it burn at least another week first. And I would only condenser it due to the fact it takes 15 mins to cycle itself to a state of readiness. But with that said it takes much longer of a class "A" amp to come up to temp. and sound it's beast. Very excited to live with this set up for years to come. Again, thanks to all of you for your posts it helped me more than I can express.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #1,430 of 1,697
Hello guys
Sometimes (not always), after a couple of hours, or more, my system's image gets unbalanced (the center phantom imagen moves to the right).
As I have wierd image issues with firmware 1.77 and inverted channels with other fw, I think the U16 must be the problem.
My theory is that when it gets pretty warm (mine is located in a not much ventilated location), something doesnt work well inside of it and the image gets affected.
Did anyone of you had a similar experience?
Mine its connected to an external OCXO and its fed by an SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo, so I dont think these are the problem.

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #1,431 of 1,697
My only problems were with dropouts and faint pops after the U16 ran for about an hour. The dropouts occurred on an exact 30 second interval while running red book rips and would increase in frequency with higher bit rates. By cycling the unit off and then on it would go another 45 mins. to an hour before it would repeat.I considered that it could be a heat issue and moved it to an isolated location but that did not help. I am running FW 1.61my. I think I got lucky when moving it back I changed the USB cable and the socket where it was plugged to my PC and I have not had a problem since. I am even currently running it on top of my class A H20 and that is not affecting the sound it has been there for 9 days so far. I guess the truth of the U16 is that it is a finicky biooootch but the tweaking with it is well worth it if you get it to work.

Nov 25, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #1,432 of 1,697
Yes, I managed to make it work flawlessly with PCM 44.1, but not with another formats or sample rates.

It sounds superb with external OCXO, but a couple of time I felt the soundstage considerably moved to the right channel. I blame it on the U16 because as soon as I run Netflix with the TV, via Toslink/optical cable, through the R8 DAC, the soundstage gets corrected.

The U16 is really a mistery sometimes.

Nov 26, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #1,435 of 1,697
Yes, I've tried both. I use today 1.61NFB with PS Audio setting on the U16.

Seems that it is the the I2S implantation that is the problem with it. But that is also why most people consider it. Probably a stupid question but did you throw on a different HDMI cable to see if that may correct it.

Nov 26, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #1,436 of 1,697
Seems that it is the the I2S implantation that is the problem with it. But that is also why most people consider it. Probably a stupid question but did you throw on a different HDMI cable to see if that may correct it.

I havent tried another HDMI cable because it works perfecty 99% of the time, so it shouldnt be a cable problem because it works fine or it doesnt.

I really believe its a U16 issue, may be related with firmware or something working not 100% perfectly when it gets pretty warm. Here is summer and I have a valve amp, so after a while, if I dont turn on the air conditioning, the room gets a little warmer than regular.

Nevertheless, I dont worry much about this unbalance because it happens almost never and Im now considering changing it to the new Audio-GD DI-20 wich is a more expensive, but it seems to be much better.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #1,437 of 1,697
The problem lays on the firmware.. can't use anything below 96/16 but with the earlier nfb 1.61 version I could use 48/16 after an hour of playback.. weird.
Hope they'll release a version on which I could use 44/16 via i2s already.

Nov 26, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #1,438 of 1,697
The problem lays on the firmware.. can't use anything below 96/16 but with the earlier nfb 1.61 version I could use 48/16 after an hour of playback.. weird.
Hope they'll release a version on which I could use 44/16 via i2s already.

With 1.61 NFB fw, I use PCM 44.1/16 with no problem at all, with the exception of the unbalance once a while (very unusually).

I stream Tidal on my listening setions with the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo feeding the U16 and then via I2S (HDMI) to my R8 DAC.

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #1,439 of 1,697
I havent tried another HDMI cable because it works perfecty 99% of the time, so it shouldnt be a cable problem because it works fine or it doesnt.

I really believe its a U16 issue, may be related with firmware or something working not 100% perfectly when it gets pretty warm. Here is summer and I have a valve amp, so after a while, if I dont turn on the air conditioning, the room gets a little warmer than regular.

Nevertheless, I dont worry much about this unbalance because it happens almost never and Im now considering changing it to the new Audio-GD DI-20 wich is a more expensive, but it seems to be much better.

DI-20 is currently %5 off @ Audio GD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back